Octane and Boosters for XPT's

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Well, I have a question for all you motor heads out there. My friend Zane and I have been discussing using Octane boosters in a 2016 Polaris XPT's.

My experience with my Yamaha WR250F was that a 50-50 mix of 91 pump and 104 Sunoco from my local GoodSpeeds Autofuel, was an awesome mix. The bike ran cooler and made tons of power with no issues. The owners manual stated 91 or better on the octane rating, and I had run 91 up to 104 straight. The 50-50 gave me a somewhat economical benefit with no appreciable performance difference from straight 104.

Now we get to Turbos, Desert and high loads. Maybe even throw in some higher altitudes and some gnarly assed dunes.

In your opinion (yeah I'm asking for it I know...) is there any real advantage for performance, longevity, cooler running engine etc... in using say a 104 octane or adding an octane booster?

I have heard statement like this quote "15lbs of boost in the 2016 at 9 to 1 compression your effective compression ratio is 12.8, that's boarder line pump gas"

12.8 is IMHO not pump gas worthy. That's what my '69 Road Runner had it it detested anything lower than 98 octane. So thus my predicament.

I haven't had any pre-detination issues, but with the heat issues and such with the turbos, I was wondering if it also may afford a little safety in less stress on the components and running cooler too. Or maybe not.

I'm all ears so let's hear it. I may also be barking up the wrong tree, but hey, I'm a Rocket Scientist not a Mechanical Engineer! LOL!!!

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Well, I have a question for all you motor heads out there. My friend Zane and I have been discussing using Octane boosters in a 2016 Polaris XPT's.

My experience with my Yamaha WR250F was that a 50-50 mix of 91 pump and 104 Sunoco from my local GoodSpeeds Autofuel, was an awesome mix. The bike ran cooler and made tons of power with no issues. The owners manual stated 91 or better on the octane rating, and I had run 91 up to 104 straight. The 50-50 gave me a somewhat economical benefit with no appreciable performance difference from straight 104.

Now we get to Turbos, Desert and high loads. Maybe even throw in some higher altitudes and some gnarly assed dunes.

In your opinion (yeah I'm asking for it I know...) is there any real advantage for performance, longevity, cooler running engine etc... in using say a 104 octane or adding an octane booster?

I have heard statement like this quote "15lbs of boost in the 2016 at 9 to 1 compression your effective compression ratio is 12.8, that's boarder line pump gas"

12.8 is IMHO not pump gas worthy. That's what my '69 Road Runner had it it detested anything lower than 98 octane. So thus my predicament.

I haven't had any pre-detination issues, but with the heat issues and such with the turbos, I was wondering if it also may afford a little safety in less stress on the components and running cooler too. Or maybe not.

I'm all ears so let's hear it. I may also be barking up the wrong tree, but hey, I'm a Rocket Scientist not a Mechanical Engineer! LOL!!!
Mix in some AV Gas if you feel like you need it. I usually run AV Gas by itself and I mix it if I run low. Lol. Best Fuel you can buy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simi Dude

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I mix 91 and 110 sunoco for my gas guzzling 20lbs of boost sand car and it works great. My buddy had it tested and I believe it came out to around 100 octane.

kmb760

Mar 28, 2013
Just to play devils advocate...any negative to running AV gas?
I know it used to be that the low lead level even in AV gas could screw with your O2 sensors after time.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Just to play devils advocate...any negative to running AV gas?
Nothing bad about AV fuel. Best fuel you can buy. There's not enough lead to hurt the O2 sensors use it all the time and no problems. Anybody that says there are additives in it for altitude are stupid and have no clue what they are talking about. The guy who owns the Fuel depot hear in phx at deer Valley airport tests the fuel daily to keep the feds happy and he says on the automotive octane ratings it is 114 octane every day. It's a pure petroleum product with no chemical adds. You can pour it into a Styrofoam cup and the cup will not melt down since Styrofoam is a petroleum product and petroleum will not attack it and break it down. Try that with pump gas and it melts down to nothing. I run it in everything up to 1600hp racing boat motors, best stuff available.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simi Dude

Doug8765

Oct 24, 2014
Chemical composition Edit

Aviation fuels consist of blends of over two thousand chemicals, primarily hydrocarbons (paraffins, olefins, naphthenes, and aromatics), additives such as antioxidants and metal deactivators, biocides, static reducers, icing inhibitors, corrosion inhibitors, and impurities. Principal components include n-heptane and isooctane. Like other fuels, aviation fuel for spark-ignited piston engines are described by their octane rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Chemical composition Edit

Aviation fuels consist of blends of over two thousand chemicals, primarily hydrocarbons (paraffins, olefins, naphthenes, and aromatics), additives such as antioxidants and metal deactivators, biocides, static reducers, icing inhibitors, corrosion inhibitors, and impurities. Principal components include n-heptane and isooctane. Like other fuels, aviation fuel for spark-ignited piston engines are described by their octane rating.

Thanks, that's good to know. I have Hesperia Airport a few mi from the house. I think I'll give it a go. AV gas is only a little more than pump these days and I think cheaper that VP fuels. We also have Goodspeed who sells pump Sunoco at 104 octane which seems to be very good also.

Have a great 4th!

Doug8765

Oct 24, 2014
See you out in honda valley lol ..before they mow it over to build houses .. I know the area very well . I think av will work fine

kmb760

Mar 28, 2013
Does anyone know of any lead content analysis between race gas 110 104 or low lead AV gas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000