V2R race report. Our rookie effort - a humbling experience.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Nice write up. Did you hit something to cause all the studs to sheer off?

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Guys,
Yep,,,,,you've been bitten by the bug and we look forward to seeing you out there again real soon. Murray Racing started just like this 7+ years ago. We got a ton of stories similar to yours but like that little girl of yours said, "Never give up, just practice (+ race) more". All the team members will learn from each test session and race. Post race discussions of what worked and what didn't are put on a list and used for the next race. It wiill payoff with your first finish, then top 10, then podium and finally a win!

Reactions: Kgorman

Kgorman

Jan 27, 2017
Guys,
Yep,,,,,you've been bitten by the bug and we look forward to seeing you out there again real soon. Murray Racing started just like this 7+ years ago. We got a ton of stories similar to yours but like that little girl of yours said, "Never give up, just practice (+ race) more". All the team members will learn from each test session and race. Post race discussions of what worked and what didn't are put on a list and used for the next race. It wiill payoff with your first finish, then top 10, then podium and finally a win!
Sage advice! Thx guys

Dr.Evil

Apr 19, 2016
Nice write-up, sorry to hear about the bad luck.
We were in a similar situation as you guys in 2016. We spent countless hours tearing apart my brand new YXZ1000R getting it prepped for V2R. Like you we decided it would be a good idea to tackle the longest race in the country as our first!
Well I rolled it about 30 miles in, simply going too hard too soon. Such a rookie mistake, I was so upset with myself. Thankfully with the help of another team that had issues on the same corner, we eventually got it righted and made pit 1 with 5 minutes to spare. Somehow the car was fine and didn't require any repairs. We chased pit closings the rest of the race but somehow managed to finish.
You need to try it again next year...it was such an unbelievable sense of accomplishment crossing that finish line. All the time, money and effort was so worth it!
Our only race this year will be the Tonopah 250 next month...can't wait!

Attachments

Kgorman

Jan 27, 2017
Wow, yeah, same here, ran too hard once we figured out dust driving a bit... We will be back for sure.

Also, we did some forensics on our car. Turns out, we made a mistake with our torque values. The problem we had was entirely self inflicted. F&*$. After all that work, such a dumb a&& thing killed us. Live and learn. How embarrassing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000