Yamaha R1 Engine Swap - Keep 4x4!!!

rjv

RJV n' NC - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 2, 2009
NC
how are your stock cvs, and diffs holding up? How many miles have you put on that set up? How much of the power is usable in regular riding? What kinda riding do you mostly do? How much do you have invested in the conversion not counting your time, just parts. Thanks for the info

RideIcon

Nov 27, 2009
are you worried about mud and water getting into the gear box with the knock out punched out and shaft installed through?

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
i havent seen his setup run except for a very short video. but it seems to be a decent trail/ mud rig with 4x4... i have a 2wd r1 setup and the power is great and really usable. i really only ride dunes and open feilds... i dont take mine out in the woods...

RideIcon

Nov 27, 2009
was there an original transfer case that was replaced to allow for this gear case to be installed, and if so this thing isn't easily selectable to 4wd without like taking the front drive line out right? still have the ability to lock the front diff i assume..
wonder if this could give you 2wd on demand
warn unlocker for wolverine.

4X4 R1-Rhino

Jan 16, 2009
washington state
are you worried about mud and water getting into the gear box with the knock out punched out and shaft installed through?

Dude. Of course there is a new seal installed where the knockout plug was...the tranny is SEALED. !!! Do you think I went to all this work to let sand and grime in??? Unthinkable...lol

And, for the hundredth time....The selectable 4x4 stays stock with my setup....that is to say that the front diff controlls the 2wd/4wd ....and YES it is still selectable with the stock
buttonss...You don't need this silly warn disconect. Lol.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
ok stop all of the smoke and mirrors and post up some pics of the motor and drivetrain. and how many miles it has been in and any of the issues you had to overcome to make it reliable.

i have yet to see and detailed pictures and video of this elusive 4x4 r1 rhino.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Again, please realize this thread is not about selling gearboxs, but rather to show that there IS a way to keep 4X4 AND still have R1 power.:D
apparantly it is, since you won't give out the part number when I pm'd you
instead, you state you can get one at a good price.

The transmission is out of a Skidoo. Its got F, N, R, High and Low. He makes the shaft to convert it to 4wd. He posted the info somewhere. You can get the tranny for about 1700 new online.
Any part number Ben

was there an original transfer case that was replaced to allow for this gear case to be installed, and if so this thing isn't easily selectable to 4wd without like taking the front drive line out right? still have the ability to lock the front diff i assume..
wonder if this could give you 2wd on demand
warn unlocker for wolverine.

Like stated previously, the rhino switches the 4x4 and diff lock in the front end. and if you knew your rhino, you would already know that the through shaft spins all the time and into your front diff, just like this setup.

thread is worthless without info for peeps to do this project themselves :(

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Any part number Ben
I looked up the tranny on a SkiDoo micro fiche, and it looked like the exact same thing, but I didnt know for sure. I was worried about buying a $1700 part, and having it be the wrong one.. Sorry, I didnt write down the part number, but I can probably find it again.

My biggest concern was the strength of the rear diff, and the need to upgrade to Type 2 or 930 CVs to make it strong enough. IMO, expecially if your running really hard/jumping, you will need to do the Gear One midboard setup to be reliable. If I really like my SR1 car, I may do this to my 4 seater in a few years, if I dont do the Rotax swap.

It would be really nice if he listed the items needed with the part number, and also what items he can supply, and their prices.

4X4 R1-Rhino

Jan 16, 2009
washington state
To all the winers....

Those of you that have politely contacted me have gotten the part numbers they asked for....
Those of you that are DEMANDING I post up info can F++K OFF...
There are many part numbers for this gearbox, so unless you know what your doing, the part numbers are useless!!!!!

This thread is not a "how-to" write up....Nor do I want to sit here all day and write up instructions.

Very few if any, are SERIOUS about doing this swap, and fewer yet are capable...For those of you that want to jump in with both feet, just contact me and I'll walk you thru the whole damn thing, (If thats what it takes)

If all you think you need is a part number, your in for a surprize!!!:confused:

roostingrhino

Roost That Rhino - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 21, 2009
i dont think anyone was demanding any info. you shouldnt post up pictures if you dont really want to explain your swap. thats what forums are for to get good info on what works and what dosent...
if you are thinking most people on this site are not capable of doing a motor swap i think you are making an ass of your self. there are a ton of people doing full race rhino builds that are very top notch...

Reactions: West117 and 07fj

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
sounds like unless you pm him he wont tell exactly
really?????? this is my pm to him and his response

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello
Yes I have the part# and also the place to order one from that has the best price...Give me a call when ur serious about getting one...This. setup Rocks!!!

Allan. (***) 343 7980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07fj
great info for your R1 4x4 rhino.

do out have the Bombardier (Skidoo) part number for the gear box?

Thanks

Rog "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey 4x4 jack ass, your the one who can F**k off. you don't know who is capable of anything or not on here. BTW those pics of your setup look like shit, I wouldn't trust any of that work you did, you and 4x4pac must come from the same family, do you wire fans too? :eek: EEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000