My 2 Cents on Racing

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Not that I have more then two races under my belt .. not that I have ever won a race but what I can tell you guys if your are sitting around reading this forum thinking about racing.

Do It .. Go Nikey on them and Just do It

Some of you as old as me sat around as kids and read 4 wheel drive magazines and other print, rode old used mini bikes and dirt bikes that you had to push for two miles to get started for a 10 minute ride, read stories and analyzed pictures of Bill Stroppe, Walker Evens, Parnelli Jones, Ivan Ironman, and the likes, Evel Knievel sporting the Red, White, Blue Leathers soring thru the air, words like Baja, Stadium Racing, Ford Bronco, Baja Bug, Mint 400

So my Story starts way back ya turn your clocks way back to the middle of last year .. I have a little shop that manufactures aftermarket parts for UTV's, and im thinking wow these utvs are getting pretty off road capable and reliable, so I ask a connection of mine from Arctic Cat for a deal on a Wild Cat for Racing, He chuckles. I ask a buddy from Can-Am for a deal on a Maverick lol Sorry ... now just to let you guys know im not expecting free, hell if I could get a couple of grand off the price It would push me over the edge.

Around the Same time frame Joey here calls me out on building a utv to compete in the 2013 Polaris Show and Shine. Now most of you don't know this but me and Joey have pretty much came to the resolve the He and I where both the best and could give two shits about each other and that went on for years, but to call me out lol ya ok I got this Bitch. I head out to the Pre Season Sand Show and check out what the others are doing to the new Polaris RZR XP 1000 and I see a mass of Lasts Years ideals on this years machines and I head home with some Visions in my head of what I think will Win .. when its done we are pretty impressed with the finished product, over the top well kinda ya Carbon Fiber Wing, Gold Paint, new lines on the cage ... who knows maybe they will all think im crazy.
I keep it under wraps till the morning of the show and shine with little apprehension take it over to Camp RZR where I am told I can park my bad ass machine inbetween two RZRs from competing car audio shops and im thinking ya ok I just spent months and tens of thousands of dollars, this utv speaks for itself, its loud its proud and its pretty and you want me to park it there .....
oh God here comes Joey !!!! the dicks got a smile on his face walking straight towards me im expecting to hear his Baahhaaa waa haaa haaa laugh and him to say what the fuck is this ? But instead he slowly looks over the RZR and shakes my hand and says hey Bad Ass Build you can park it over infront of my booth, now this is the first time Joey has ever approved of anything I have done in the UTV Biz.. I tell him im supposed to park here and he agrees that backed in-between the 2 other utvs is not gong to do it justice so he jumps in it pulls it front and center infront of the UTVunderground Booth.

Well after its all over with great pride and apperception to all the guys that helped me build this RZR we won the Show and Shine.. I know I know whats this got to do with racing ?
Well sometime after this at the Parker off Road Race that im checking out because im thinking Can I Build a Race UTV that will Finish a Race and have some fun with my Team from work and can I even compete with the Likes of Jagged X, Murray Brothers, Burnett, Cognito and others that have been racing for a few years and Winning, these guys are bad ass they are the Goliath's of UTV off road racing, they have Magic Potions, Juju beans, and the lucky rabbits feet in the UTV racing World, and me Im Nobody, Im Old, Im ahh oh fuck here comes Joey again, and it goes something like this hey Johnny what cha doing ? thinking about coming racing baaahaaa haaa Smirk ya, you should come Racing .....I hate it when he throws out the Joey D challenge ....

I make a few calls and my Buddy Tim from Glamis gets me a deal on a used demo Polaris RZR XP1000 and im thinking hell ya these RZRs are getting pretty reliable, I can do this im only going to change what I have to be race legal and finish races, I know If I don't Finish races it will be no fun but Polaris has been building better and better machines every year so im in .. I plan on starting with a small budget and figure at least ill get some advertising out of this for my shop ... well im not really know for going small so I over due it, chase trucks, full wraps on truck and rebuild on a trailer I had sitting around .. yap all in and I still have not raced a second.

Race Day is here its O dark thirty and im line up behind the Best in the West Jagged X then the Murrays, then me = Nobody and some guys in my rear view mirror with smirks on their faces thinking they are going to pass my novice rookie ass in the first 5 Miles and im thinking oh shit shit shit this just got real ..

GO !!! Go !!! Go!! we are off into the blinding dust I've been scared shitless of this blinding dust but hey its not bad ..looking in my rear view mirror cause I know im about to get ran over buy the 20 or so utvs behind me but they don't show up !! pretty soon I see tail lights ahead of me, we real them in I realize it the Murrays holy shit buckets, high fives, knuckles ..I tell my co driver that the best is ahead of us and we just ran them down ... I don't care if their car was running on one cylinder I caught them ..ya ya ya I caught them, im just driving, driving my race 30 40 miles go by and more tail lights .. we slowly real them in holy shit batman that's Jagged X the best the Grand Daddys of JuJU Beans and off road magic potions .. I caught Jagged X im bad ass im a off road racer, Im Johnny Lightning lol

but in comes JoeyD, fockers in a the Helicopter and boy oh boy he knows im on Jaggeds ass and I want first place and I don't want to look slow, if they have that camera rolling in the helicopter so ya I start racing jagged instead if racing my race, you see I caught them racing my race so I should not have started racing their race. Anyway we finish our First Race Had a Blast Learned a lot

Second Race Baja 500 we finish the Baja 500 In 4 Place ..I know 4th sucks but that's not the Point I Raced and Finished the Baja 500 I cant wait till my Grandsons get bigger and I can tell them the story of Racing The Baja 500 ya ya The Baja 500 Priceless its not the win its not the money its not that I have no real sponsors .. its that I raced and Finished the Baja 500

Thanks Polaris with out you and my Polaris RZR XP 1000 Im pretty sure I would not have Raced the Baja 500 and Thank You Joey for Pushing me, Memories that will last a lifetime for me and the Guys !!

and to the rest of you ..ya its not cheap, its not easy, you can get hurt, killed, injured... but I got no magic potion, no juju beans, no lucky charms .... but I I raced my Heart out and Finished the Baja 500 and you can Too, you don't need to rebuild the whole utv do it right and respect the fact that Polaris has already spent Millions on building a machine that will let you Battle with the Best

oh ya and while in Mexico I was standing in the Coffee shop waiting, and up walks Ivan Ironman Stewart ... I look at him studder are you I I I he says Ivan I say yes, we shoot the shit for a few minutes and I walk off Having Just Meet the Legend of Baja

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
The fact that people don't know that you and I at one point were ready to f'n slaughter each other I think is what makes all this so cool. I also think that's what makes me like you even more. I've never been one to hold grudges. I get over stuff pretty easily and frankly I have been over our spat for many many many years. Our arguments made for some great traffic on that other site though! lol

Fact is, UTVInc, I have a ton of respect for. You guys and you in particular Johnny never quit. I think that trait is what's going to make you a fantastic desert racer. Losing is not an option!

Good on ya for rising to the challenges. I have a few more for ya so don't get too settled in.

sconym

Aug 30, 2012
Thats a great write up johnny. Love these stories. Looks like i need to go prep the T4!!!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Johnny I kinda figured at some point you would make your racing debut....when I seen you at Parker I knew it was game on...especially when I caught you eyeballing our old 900.

With that said I knew with you're UTV experience and deep pockets you would be a competitive racer. Cool story.

I remember when we started. I remember looking at the seasoned Vets in the UTV class and thinking one day we are going to run with the best and beat the best. I wish I could say we had the same success that you had in your first couple of races....but truth is we didn't even finish our first 2 races:eek:.

utvpros

Feb 14, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
For the most part, you're never too old to race. The next time you're at a BITD or SCORE event check out 'Grandpa' Beal from TX or Ron Whitton (G&R Racing). Off-road racing is definitely a sport where being fast does not necessarily equal 1st place. Sometimes fast is 1st to DNF.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
For the most part, you're never too old to race. The next time you're at a BITD or SCORE event check out 'Grandpa' Beal from TX or Ron Whitton (G&R Racing). Off-road racing is definitely a sport where being fast does not necessarily equal 1st place. Sometimes fast is 1st to DNF.
I was very luck to be a part of making this happen at last years MINT 400. Paul Dohrman 94 years old started the MINT 400. Awesome story and great family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq-m2G5D5ac

sanduras

Jan 14, 2013
very cool write up johnny, one day I hope to join the ranks of all you guys,i am hooked for sure,just need a little more time.my only goal in life now is to compete in all bitd races next season.im too far out too join in now.but if you need help I will do what I can. if I cant race then 2nd best for me is to be there and help..

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Thanks Guys and Thanks for the offer Tony I know when your car is done youll be right in the Mix of front runners ... as for you Joey lol no no no don't do that thing that you do and make me step up again ...

and for those of you that don't know after Baja I was Fine a little sore but fine .. a couple of days later I figured I need to get in better shape for the V2R and maybe even a attempt at the Baja 1000 so I dusted of the Bicycle and did a couple of 20 Miles rides the next day I was in sooo much pain I had to hit the ER ...

Rokitman

UTVUnderground La Familia
Mar 11, 2013
Nipomo, CA
From 5yrs old I knew I was gonna be a racer. My dad was a racer and stunt rider on Harleys and mother was a biker chick so the blood was in me. My folks took me to races when I was in diapers so it was no surprise to them when I wanted to race. I raced motocross for 8 years, dirt track ovals in stocks and sprints for 6 years, karts for another 6 years, and 10 years of skydiving to top things off.
Now with a UTV..........um yea..........racing has crossed my mind and even at 61 I think I could be competitive but then I look at how much money I need to spend and the tons of hours to prep for races.................nah...........I have enough fun doing radical things like doing Cliffhanger at ROTR or the Miller Jeep Trail in CA. The challenge, danger and adrenalin rush is still there but I don't pressure myself to work the hours I used to...to get to the next ride. When I'm ready , I go. BTW, I did race my 570 at some local sand drags and won against bigger machines, so the competitive spirit still lies within me.
But that is a great story Johny and I hope it inspires folks to race or at least get a damned UTV and go have fun.

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
From 5yrs old I knew I was gonna be a racer. My dad was a racer and stunt rider on Harleys and mother was a biker chick so the blood was in me. My folks took me to races when I was in diapers so it was no surprise to them when I wanted to race. I raced motocross for 8 years, dirt track ovals in stocks and sprints for 6 years, karts for another 6 years, and 10 years of skydiving to top things off.
Now with a UTV..........um yea..........racing has crossed my mind and even at 61 I think I could be competitive but then I look at how much money I need to spend and the tons of hours to prep for races.................nah...........I have enough fun doing radical things like doing Cliffhanger at ROTR or the Miller Jeep Trail in CA. The challenge, danger and adrenalin rush is still there but I don't pressure myself to work the hours I used to...to get to the next ride. When I'm ready , I go. BTW, I did race my 570 at some local sand drags and won against bigger machines, so the competitive spirit still lies within me.
But that is a great story Johny and I hope it inspires folks to race or at least get a damned UTV and go have fun.
I hear you loud and clear. I used to chase a C1 team in the early 90's but they stopped so I did. During the recent recession I got laid off and started to help Palapa Boy racing in 2010 and got hooked all over again. Derek & Jason Murray (#1917) are the sons of my best friend who died suddenly on a mountain bike ride with me. Anyways, on a lark the boys went out to race their Rhino and got hooked despite running the first race in MC helmets and no pumper. They asked if I would help them being I had some experience....and the rest of the story is I have been with them for every desert race the last 4+ years. I bring the "father figure" to the team (like Bill S with JX), but they and the rest of the guys kid me pretty good and I love it all. I am primarily the Crew Chief and handle logistics. Occasionally, Derek lets me to co-dawg and we've won the Henderson 250 and the recent IV 250 as solo team. I love being in the car, crew chiefing and just sharing the fun with all the other teams. I'm 62.5 now and will continue to do it as long as I can because it's so damn fun and challenging. I encourage anyone to go out and give it a try......race the PURE series first to get some experience.......then BITD....then BAJA! See you at V2R!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Great story on your first race Johnny. Reading tales from old F-ks like you motivate and inspire me. NOT TO GET OLD:D! At least you can hang inside the car. I don't ride w/ Marc because my stomach can't handle it, so kudos to you, my rich friend!.

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I hear you loud and clear. I used to chase a C1 team in the early 90's but they stopped so I did. During the recent recession I got laid off and started to help Palapa Boy racing in 2010 and got hooked all over again. Derek & Jason Murray (#1917) are the sons of my best friend who died suddenly on a mountain bike ride with me. Anyways, on a lark the boys went out to race their Rhino and got hooked despite running the first race in MC helmets and no pumper. They asked if I would help them being I had some experience....and the rest of the story is I have been with them for every desert race the last 4+ years. I bring the "father figure" to the team (like Bill S with JX), but they and the rest of the guys kid me pretty good and I love it all. I am primarily the Crew Chief and handle logistics. Occasionally, Derek lets me to co-dawg and we've won the Henderson 250 and the recent IV 250 as solo team. I love being in the car, crew chiefing and just sharing the fun with all the other teams. I'm 62.5 now and will continue to do it as long as I can because it's so damn fun and challenging. I encourage anyone to go out and give it a try......race the PURE series first to get some experience.......then BITD....then BAJA! See you at V2R!
Bill, I'm not usually emotional, but you made me cry. The boys are so lucky to have you! Eric is my crew chief, but this year my dad decided he wanted to help with the team. We got him a race radio and he has been chasing every race this season. It's so fun to see him excited over my racing. We played a lot with dirt bikes and snowmobiles and boats, but never raced. I love seeing this completive side of him and know that I got mine from him. I'm too old to be doing this racing thing also, but it is an addiction. We started racing about the same time as the Murray boys and have tried to quit a few times. We just can't do it. Best of luck out there John. See you all in Vegas :)

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Bill, I'm not usually emotional, but you made me cry. The boys are so lucky to have you! Eric is my crew chief, but this year my dad decided he wanted to help with the team. We got him a race radio and he has been chasing every race this season. It's so fun to see him excited over my racing. We played a lot with dirt bikes and snowmobiles and boats, but never raced. I love seeing this completive side of him and know that I got mine from him. I'm too old to be doing this racing thing also, but it is an addiction. We started racing about the same time as the Murray boys and have tried to quit a few times. We just can't do it. Best of luck out there John. See you all in Vegas :)
Hi Lacrecia! Thanks for the kind words and admitting to our shared addiction....LOL! I love seeing the Beurrier family out at the races. You & Eric can always count on the Murray Team for if you ever need it. Your first "Pro" podium is coming very soon. C U @ V2R! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000