Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Changing belts on the Maverick is no quick task. Our car requires that you first remove the drivers seat, then the scatter shield, then the flex duct and CVT cover. After all that, you have to squeeze your body inbetween the side quarter panel, and the diagonal door bar, then work with your hands extended to change the belt. All said and done, it is a 20-25 minute process. I decided to give Marc more access to the CVT area by installing tube clamps in the door bar that can be removed quickly for access to the clutches. Although the time saved will be a wash in exchange for removing the bar, it will give Marc total and comfortable access when replacing the belt. I am working on a quick release CVT cover that utilizes toggle style clamps and a draw latch that holds the rubber snorkel onto the exhaust collar. These three mods when completed, should cut 5 minutes off of the time needed to change a belt.

Attachments

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
What did I miss lol Sorry somebody stole one of my Nissan Titan Last night so its been a crazy day .... Old Guys Rule !!!!!!!
:D

Come on Reid... money bags got one of his Titan's stolen... you reading your own thread ???

LOL j/k

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Not Bad Not Bad ... you got some talent
Nah, I just like making fun of people!

I really enjoyed the video Reid

:cool:.....
What do you mean, you "enjoyed" the video?
Do I bring you " joy? "
Do you think I'm here for your " enjoyment? "
Do I amuse you?
What, do think I'm "funny? "
Like how "funny"? Like a clown funny?
WTF do you mean, "enjoy? ":eek:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ha hee ;) ! I pulled a Joe Pesci on you! Here's where you start stuttering, then back tracking, all the while sweating out what you know might be your last drop of perspiration! He was a BALMFo in Goodfellas, wasn't he?
Thanks guys! Well, now I know what Johnny wakes up to! A cup of coffee, a grit, and a dose of UTVUG! I wake up to a pit bull snarling at me with her head in my crotch because she is not quite ready to get out of bed yet.
-In the shop, I'm slave labor.
-On the streets, I'm a homeless bum.
-In my RV, I'm "Reid Dangerfield".
But in the Underground, I AM SOMEBODY:D!

One of the benefits of living life down here, is that it is o.k. to poke fun at people who are living life "up" there! Kind of like me saying that "Now I'll have to loan my G5 to the Murray's". That would be a narcissistic thing to say, if I did indeed own a G5. Since I ain't got a pot to piss in (well,I could use the dogs water bowl, but Tara would pull a Bobbit, and make my wiener an Oscar Meyer snack!!), you can say that I ostentatiously post. I don't want attention, but need to be acknowledged. I know, right? Don't worry. I can't figure myself out either.

Attachments

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
You old guys are alright.....I dont care what Joey says about you! The Old Guy bet was solid gold!! Err...I mean solid copper...Err I mean solid copper with a worthless core:D
Look at Moneybags' expression, "What, do I got the money? Tens? Ha ha. Hundreds? Ha hee. Thousands? Nonsense, I can do this all day!"
Now look at mine, "Just keep on gloating you SOB, I'll cut you into pieces and feed your crank to the pigeons!":D:D:D
Look how filthy my hands are. And what about that "wire brush" hairdo? That was straight from the factory for sure!

See the guy in the background wearing black, with the camera strapped around his neck? Yeah, the guy laughing at the 2 old f_cks flashing their wads of cash in an otherwise poor town! His name is Joe Stokes, and he's a friend of the team, and one of the MB Motorsports crew members when he's not filming (sometimes, even when he is filming!). Amongst other things, he takes awesome film and pics of off road racing. His work can be seen here:
http://www.doubledownphotos.com/
Check him out. Maybe he has that shot of you and your machine that you have been looking for.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Sway Bar Housing:

I decided at 10 last night that I needed more progress for the day. So, I went back out to wrap up the sway bar housing repair work. I used 2" x .090" wall tube to save a little weight, then added it back with the addition of the angle iron stiffener! The stiffener performs 3 functions for us:
First, it serves as a butt plate to reinforce the joint where I welded in the new tube,
Second,
it provides a robust stiffener for the area of the pan that is most abused, and
Third, gives me a solid backing to thread into to accept the hardware that attaches the Factory UTV skid plate to the pan of our car.
I am waiting to weld the vertical connecting tube in place until the drive shaft can be installed and checked for proper clearances and serviceability. ALWAYS consider vehicle maintenance and repair access when adding tubes to an already-built vehicle! We all have "welded ouselves into a box" before, haven't we?

Yeah, I know. I'm adding more weight to an already overweight race car. Here's the numbers, 'cause you all know how much I like math:
The .105" thick tube that I replaced weighs 8.1 lbs.
The .090" tube that I replaced it with weighs 6.9 lbs.
The 2" x 2" x .125" angle I added weighs 4.9 lbs.
A net gain of 3.7 lbs. What's 3 more pounds, right? Yeah, right! (the answer is 15 tenths of one percent, or a bit less than one thousandth the total weight of the vehicle.)
I can see the nay sayers now with their Google and calculators in hand. "You're wrong man! 2" tubing only comes in .095" wall, and weighs 7.14 pounds"!

Attachments

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Crossmember Repairs:

The front motor mount crossmember was also bent up, but not as bad as the rear sway bar housing, so for the sake of time, I decided to straighten it in place and keep the front half of the motor under pan in place as well. I'll add verbage on the how to's tonight when my day is done. For now.........digest !

Attachments

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Nice looking work Reid

The welds look good

Sure alotta stuff that must be done

Any-way I think you should use a bigger hammer

Don't force it use a bigger hammer is what they say

The mini sledge was just the perfect weight hammer to peen the bent flanges with. I used a solid 7/8" thick steel bar for a back up dolly, then pre-loaded the sheet metal pan w/ratchet straps to the ground before straightening the flange. It's what cavemen use in their cave shops! Hammers and clubs.:D

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
This mornings images show the damaged front motor mount tube, with the good half of the motor pan attached. Here, I slot/cut the damaged tube on 3 sides, and in the key locations, in preparation to "weld it straight". Depending on how bad, and in which direction the tube is bent, I can strategically (and literally) clamp and weld the tube straight. The 3 holes drilled in the top of the tube are for access to dolly from the inside, the bottom of the crushed in tubing back down. I'll add a cover plate formed from 16 ga. crs, as well as a 1" x 1" X 1/8" piece of angle iron across the front side to complete the repair. The motor pan needed straightening also, so I backed up the damaged area with a floor jack and a block of wood, and used an air chisel w/a flat-headed hammer bit to stretch the material the needed amount to straighten it. I'll show the motor pan restoration tomorrow.

Attachments

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
This mornings images show the damaged front motor mount tube, with the good half of the motor pan attached. Here, I slot/cut the damaged tube on 3 sides, and in the key locations, in preparation to "weld it straight". Depending on how bad, and in which direction the tube is bent, I can strategically (and literally) clamp and weld the tube straight. The 3 holes drilled in the top of the tube are for access to dolly from the inside, the bottom of the crushed in tubing back down. I'll add a cover plate formed from 16 ga. crs, as well as a 1" x 1" X 1/8" piece of angle iron across the front side to complete the repair. The motor pan needed straightening also, so I backed up the damaged area with a floor jack and a block of wood, and used an air chisel w/a flat-headed hammer bit to stretch the material the needed amount to straighten it. I'll show the motor pan restoration tomorrow.
I bet that last picture rattled your ear drums.

Tzenev

Jul 9, 2013
I noticed in your onboard tool and parts picture you guys carry a set of TRED's. How do you guys like them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000