Cost of Winning: The Monster Mav Chronicles

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
On schedule to make the race? Always. Did I accomplish today's goal? If it was to be a lazy slacker, yes! Didn't get a chance to start it yet. Only worked 8 hours, so an easy day for me today. Took a mid day break to watch Nascar and the Tour de France. I had to re-wrap most of the exhaust, so that was unexpected time. Did a bit of clean up around the shop as well. It was starting to look a bit shabby. Dog ate my homework, and NO, I didn't get done what i had hoped! I never seem to. My dogs are pretty spoiled, and when they bark, I run.

I'm hopping in the shower, then a quick bite, and then maybe some guitar time. Oh yeah, and power down some (more) beer:D!

So, you will be at the V2R race? I'll PM you my cell #, and we'll try to get together for a hand shake and beer. I read that somebody, maybe Beerman (still want that name!) thought the race was on Friday. I hope it is on Saturday. We will roll in on Wed (thinks Marc), which means Thursday night to me. I shouldn't need to wrench on the car, unless practice earlier in the week exposes demons. I'm looking forward to drinking and gambling on Friday night (not too late) after conting. We are bringing a skeleton crew, since the the race is more a shakedown run for the 1000. If you have no race day plans, maybe there is a space for you to help us reach the podium.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Let me know where and when, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. And I promise I won't touch anything I'm not supposed to! That includes the throttle body boot

utvpros

Feb 14, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
V2R race is FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY August 15th :D

V2R schedule per BITD
http://bitd.com/images/stories/pdfs/vtor/2014_Schedule.pdf

Wednesday, August 13th 9:00 am Time Trials staging for class 1400/1500.

Thursday, August 14th 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Contingency, Inspection & Technical Inspection
Thursday, August 14th 5:00 pm MANDATORY drivers/riders/pit crew meeting

Friday, August 15th 5:15 am Motorcycle/Quad/UTV staging
Friday, August 15th 5:45 am first motorcycle starts

Friday, August 15th 9:30 am class 1400/1500 top qualifier starts

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
V2R schedule per BITD
http://bitd.com/images/stories/pdfs/vtor/2014_Schedule.pdf

Wednesday, August 13th 9:00 am Time Trials staging for class 1400/1500.

Thursday, August 14th 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Contingency, Inspection & Technical Inspection
Thursday, August 14th 5:00 pm MANDATORY drivers/riders/pit crew meeting

Friday, August 15th 5:15 am Motorcycle/Quad/UTV staging
Friday, August 15th 5:45 am first motorcycle starts

Friday, August 15th 9:30 am class 1400/1500 top qualifier starts
:eek:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Whaaaaaat Shake-Down Race for the Baja 1,000!!!

Come on push it to the V2R Podium

I Picked you guys to be on the Podium

Don't wanna hear any Shake-up or Shake Down Talk!
We're pretty confident about a podium, but a win? Fat chance!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
We recently aligned our racing efforts with Josh over at Cryoheat. He set up shop with the guys over at Black Rhino in San Diego's east county. Before deciding to introduce a new process to our racing program, Josh and I sat for a "tech talk". I was pleasantly surprised to learn about the diversity of his process, and how it is not just limited to items metallic in nature. From brake pads, to radio antennas and rod ends, there are many items in your racing program that can benefit from his services. He doesn't just throw a bunch of stuff in the freezer, then take it out an hour later. He has specific proprietary protocols (try saying that 3 times fast!) that he has developed over his years of experience in the field, that apply to the types of materials that he processes. What is nice about the service that he provides is that it is a one time shot. It's not like bringing your shocks in after every race to have them serviced. Once his process is applied, it prolongs and lasts for the life of the component.

So,if you are having performance, reliability, or excessive wear issues with the components on your race car, or your fishing boat for that matter, it will serve you well to look him up. And don't tell him Badassmav sent you, 'cause he'll probably lock his door! Ha hee!

Attachments

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Glad to see you guys are going to try Cryo. Like I said before I started Using a company called Cryo Science back in 03. I heard about Cryo from guys who were involved NASCAR & Indy car. Once I understood what Cryo does, I started trying it with success. I still did not understand it fully, but it was working. But back then when I mentioned Cryo, most had never heard of it and the ones who had, had zero knowledge of what it was. I started calling it my "Witches Brew". I had an engine guy that refused to let me try it on parts, as his name was on those engines.

A place we saw a huge benefit was on our Centerline wheels. We would bend a wheel, and have it straitened. But after the fix, the wheel was never as strong as new in that repaired section. After we Cryo'ed the wheels, we never bent a wheel in a previously repaired location. Another place of interest is CV's. Oh yes there are big benefits in working over the CV's. Several of our tricks were able to reduce the CV temp by an easy 30%. Some of those tricks are standard practice nowadays, but I bet many little things people are still not doing. Clue: If you buying off the shelf CV's & axles and just packing them full of grease and running them, then you are not getting all you can out of them.
(Disclaimer: I have not tried to work over a set of UTV CV's. Only 930 / 934 Buggy CV's. But the principals are the same.)

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hey Reid the Badass Mav made it in this months Sand Sport Magazine

I guess this year, we have earned it. It was funny last year because I talked so much shit all year long on rdzrt and here about how badass our car was, and how we'd be winning our first race soon, and instead we DNF'd every race! But still, our car was usually the first pic that would come up when reading online race reports. The post race print media also gave us coverage. I called it "breaking news" Ha Ha!

So, here's the best one of all: Marc decided a week before the 2013 BITD season ender in Jean, that we would make one last effort to try and finish at least one of the 6 races we entered that year. Like always, we rolled in late. About 5:30 p.m. on Friday eve. We called Cory when we were on the road, and he graciously agreed to tech our car when we arrived.

So let me back track a bit here. In preparation for last years Baja 1000, we gave the Monster Mav the booger green make over you all know today. I assembled it with meticulous detail, as we were displaying it in one of our sponsors booths at last years SEMA show. Barely got it together, and arrived just before the cut off time drive it onto the floor at the convention center. We had to stop on the way home to test the car, and Jean was an opportune spot. So back at Sema, the bitched out Maverick caught the eye of a free lance reporter named Don Logay who was covering the SEMA Show. He was pretty impressed with the car, and we offered him to meet up with us Friday morning in Jean for the test session we planned. He gladly took us up on our offer, since he lived locally. We gave him a ride in the car, and he was pretty excited to do an article on the Monster Mav.

Fast forward to Friday's contingency for the the 2013 Henderson 250 that we unfortunately could not make it in time for, and what print article do you think was lining all of the news stands as the competition wheeled their cars down contingency road in preparation for the last race of the year?
http://www.hendersonpress.com/Artic....113122-OffRoad-Racing-The-Henderson-250.html
Effin' a right buddy! Just so happened that The Henderson Press ran the article on our car to jive with the Henderson 250. I wish we could have made contingency that day. It would have been awesome watching everybodies eyeballs rolling back into their heads with dis belief as this rookie team, with nothing but DNF's to their name, and some loud mouth idiot talking smack in the online forums, is again front and center. When I wasn't busy cramming our car down everybody's throats last year, the media was!:confused:

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I heard this new song on Sirius radio and the first person I thought of was Reid!

Enjoy Reid!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VszOls4BrYM"]Ray Scott Drinkin' Beer - YouTube[/ame]

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I heard this new song on Sirius radio and the first person I thought of was Reid!

Enjoy Reid!

Ray Scott Drinkin' Beer - YouTube
I stepped into my "office" to pull some dimensions off of the a arm files on my computer so I can wrap up these front lower arms, and as always, do a quick check of my emails. I see the well informed NIKAL has made a contribution to my Chronicles. So, as I take a hit off of my hydraulic sandwich, I click the go to link. There I am. That's me. I can do just about anything or go anywhere.............if I'm drinking beer. Gotta go. Why? 'Cause I'm a man, and I've got work to do!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I've been tossing around the idea of buying a radiator shroud thing from outwear to try something like that. Curious to see how it works
The outer wear will be fine. I intentionally left a skeletal framework of the stock cover in place to act as a back up for the outerwear. Without backing of some sort, the outerwear will get "sucked" inwards as the secondary clutch moves inward during acceleration.

I am however, not yet convinced that opening up a gaping hole in the side of the CVT cover is such a great idea. It circumvents the existing air blower/exhaust duct system, and renders it less effective. It also "exhales" 200 + degrees air into the engine tunnel instead of containing it within a sealed system, as per factory design. O.k in the 1000, but in the August heat of the Nevada desert, engine temp can become an issue, not to mention all the heat right under the drivers ass! That just doesn't sound fun to me.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Have you done anything to solve your top speed issue? This race is gonna a full throttle run and should eat belts.
The car has been in various stages of dis assembly since Baja. So other than preparing 4 different CVT covers for testing, and acquiring 2 new primary clutches and having them cryogenically treated, no not yet. Tuesday is a big day for us. We'll know then what kind of race car we will show up at V2R with. It is my understanding that Marc is flying Adam from Airdam Clutches out to spend a day with us optimizing our clutch set up. We will also be overlapping with that, dialing in our new Fox 3.0 shocks, which are not here yet! If the aforementioned vendors work half as hard on our project as I have over the last 7 weeks, the competition is going to have their hands full come next Friday. If we show up with the same car we won the Baja 500 with, we will be struggling for a podium finish.

Most all of the class 1900 entrants will go through a belt or two during the course of this race. The difference is, ours takes 4 times longer to change than the Polaris camp, and we go through them twice as fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000