Race air and helmet

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Hi everyone,
I want to buy a full face helmet and was thinking about getting a race air one and installing a race air device. Not sure if this is beneficial or not for just a recreation machine or just go witht the full face regular helmet. I pretty much ride with just me in the car so I would only need the singke race air. Also how is the strain on the battery with it running.Any input would be great thank you ☺☺

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
The helmets only work if you use the skirt to keep the helmet pressurized. With the skirt it does get a little warm and noisy due to the air flow from hose. the draw on the electrical system is very low and not an issue.

I used one last year for the dunes and it gets hot and noisy, i had to wear earplugs and had a hard time hearing my music through my ruged radio. Also with a full face helmet you not get a sunvisor and riding into the afternoon sun in Glamis sucked. This season i bought a new mx helmet and will go back the other way.

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
The helmets only work if you use the skirt to keep the helmet pressurized. With the skirt it does get a little warm and noisy due to the air flow from hose. the draw on the electrical system is very low and not an issue.

I used one last year for the dunes and it gets hot and noisy, i had to wear earplugs and had a hard time hearing my music through my ruged radio. Also with a full face helmet you not get a sunvisor and riding into the afternoon sun in Glamis sucked. This season i bought a new mx helmet and will go back the other way.
Thank you Michael this is really helpful. Maybe I will just stay with a MX helmet. I like the music and car to car in my helmet

PCI Race Radios

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jun 29, 2011
Long Beach, CA
www.pciraceradios.com
Using the RaceAir in play cars is becoming more and more common. It allows you to push a little harder and stay closer in the group instead of having to let the dust settle. We have an HJC helmet that is wired with RaceAir or we can do it as just a RaceAir helmet for you if you do not want a radio. If you are running a PCI intercom, we use dual 2 watt amplifiers in the 4 Link Pro Elite so the music and communications will be loud and clear.

We have a full lineup of RaceAir blowers but I am always a fan of running the Big Single 150 cfm blower. As said above, adding the helmet skirt is a huge plus as it keeps the air in and the dust out.

Race Air Selection

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Using the RaceAir in play cars is becoming more and more common. It allows you to push a little harder and stay closer in the group instead of having to let the dust settle. We have an HJC helmet that is wired with RaceAir or we can do it as just a RaceAir helmet for you if you do not want a radio. If you are running a PCI intercom, we use dual 2 watt amplifiers in the 4 Link Pro Elite so the music and communications will be loud and clear.

We have a full lineup of RaceAir blowers but I am always a fan of running the Big Single 150 cfm blower. As said above, adding the helmet skirt is a huge plus as it keeps the air in and the dust out.

Race Air Selection

I am just worried about the noise and how loud they are. I have the car to car radio and the in car radio through my helmet. I do not want to loose the ability to hear from my helmet headphones and the list to talk mic

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
Scott,
Pumper style helmets and radio / intercom systems work awesome! May I suggest the HJC FI-10 helmet, this one blows from the top down so there is no need for a helmet skirt. The air pump is really not that loud and you soon forget it's even on with the sound of the motor revving. you can still hear the radio/com very well....I know this 1st hand while riding co-dog with Garret in a few Cal City races.

Pro's
No blowing those big nasty boogers out of your nose.
No chit all over your face when your following your buddy too close.
No sinus infections / allergy problems
No more MX style helmet visor trying to rip you head off at hi speeds.
Ahh....Fresh Air !!

Cons
Price......It's not cheep!

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
I've been LOOKING at these for over a year now. Still haven't bought anything. Almost every ride we have group and TX dust is awful, I end up coughing up crap for at least a weak after every ride.

The actual pump and system costs is not why I haven't purchased, that's fairly reasonable cost IMO. MY personal problem is my 9 yr old daughter / passenger... having to buy her a helmet and re-buy another helmet every 1-2 years just makes it insanely expensive... and the helmets are HEAVY for her little neck, I just haven't found a way to make the system work for our recreational needs.

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Scott,
Pumper style helmets and radio / intercom systems work awesome! May I suggest the HJC FI-10 helmet, this one blows from the top down so there is no need for a helmet skirt. The air pump is really not that loud and you soon forget it's even on with the sound of the motor revving. you can still hear the radio/com very well....I know this 1st hand while riding co-dog with Garret in a few Cal City races.

Pro's
No blowing those big nasty boogers out of your nose.
No chit all over your face when your following your buddy too close.
No sinus infections / allergy problems
No more MX style helmet visor trying to rip you head off at hi speeds.
Ahh....Fresh Air !!

Cons
Price......It's not cheep!
Thanks Zane. I agree not a cheap set up but I think the pros out weight the price. I am going to be riding long into the future so I think it would pay for itself in the long run. Just need to save some money for it.

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
I've been LOOKING at these for over a year now. Still haven't bought anything. Almost every ride we have group and TX dust is awful, I end up coughing up crap for at least a weak after every ride.

The actual pump and system costs is not why I haven't purchased, that's fairly reasonable cost IMO. MY personal problem is my 9 yr old daughter / passenger... having to buy her a helmet and re-buy another helmet every 1-2 years just makes it insanely expensive... and the helmets are HEAVY for her little neck, I just haven't found a way to make the system work for our recreational needs.
I agree Frank it would not be cost effective to keep buying helmets. I usually ride by myself so just need one helmet and air pumper

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
For the last couple of years I have used a full face helmet almost exclusively. I love the protection it gives me and the fact that I am not being abused with sand or dirt in the face is a huge plus. Forced air is awesome and while a helmet skirt is not necessary it does provide some additional protection from dirt and helps keep the air in. The main reason for the helmet skirt however is for fire protection. You don't want to inhale fire!!

I run an Impact Air Vapor helmet, custom painted of course by Chad Riccio at CR Designs in Arizona. I usually run the Race Air set up from PCI Race Radios but am curious to try the new Rugged Radios set up they just released.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
What got us looking at them was George took us to Mammoth 1yr, and My God that is the most dustiest place I have ever encountered.....It's like following 10 UTV's through a silt bed.

kennyo15

Paramount Motorsports / Black Rhino - UTVUndergrou
Aug 19, 2009
Alpine, CA

Attachments

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
We actually run both types. We have the HJC's for dusty group rides and some Bell half helmets for non-dusty rides with only a couple cars.

The pumper set-up works great and actually gives you some cooler fresh air when driving. Like Zane said, the top feed work well without a skirt. The lack of dust makes it well worth it. I also wear contacts so it keeps the dust out of my eyes. I also like that with the helmet you only have one thing to put on you noggin. One thing I have noticed with the HJC's when wearing polarized sun glasses is it makes strange colors on things.

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
We actually run both types. We have the HJC's for dusty group rides and some Bell half helmets for non-dusty rides with only a couple cars.

The pumper set-up works great and actually gives you some cooler fresh air when driving. Like Zane said, the top feed work well without a skirt. The lack of dust makes it well worth it. I also wear contacts so it keeps the dust out of my eyes. I also like that with the helmet you only have one thing to put on you noggin. One thing I have noticed with the HJC's when wearing polarized sun glasses is it makes strange colors on things.
Thanks Jim. That can be fun with different colors with sunglasses. I really want this set up just need to save some cash now and maybe they will have a holiday sale. ☺☺

valco

Apr 30, 2009
Will a full face helmet work without the air/blower setup?
Will fogging be an issue?

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I've been running a pumper helmet for 7 years and I don't want to ride in somebody else's vehicle if I don't have air available for me. It's just the best invention ever for offroading! The one that mega had was a boat bilge type blower and it was noisy. The ones that are shown in the pictures above are very quiet. Also, I agree that it is necessary to run the helmet skirt to keep the dust from coming up underneath the helmet and still hitting you in the face. They run about 40 for the skirt and simply Velcro to the helmet.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I've been running a pumper helmet for 7 years and I don't want to ride in somebody else's vehicle if I don't have air available for me. It's just the best invention ever for offroading! The one that mega had was a boat bilge type blower and it was noisy. The ones that are shown in the pictures above are very quiet. Also, I agree that it is necessary to run the helmet skirt to keep the dust from coming up underneath the helmet and still hitting you in the face. They run about 40 for the skirt and simply Velcro to the helmet.
wholly chit, you are still alive!! Now ask your wife to borrow the xpee and get you arse to the dunes with us.

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Thank you for the feedback

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000