KOH 2015

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
The logistics of doing qualifying for all the classes was a major burden last year, from Motos to 4400 classes it was 3 solid days. This year will be much simpler, as far as course, expect a much rougher desert section:eek: and more sand:cool:
Are we looking at about the same amount of desert? More desert would be cool

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
If you look at the maps of the new area, any new desert area is gonna be really rough compared to the past "desert" sections which were mandated routes aka the "SCORE" roads. What is gonna be used this time will be much rougher and "new", we have done several races out there already this year and nothing has been hammered in yet as far 4 wheel desert sections. If KOH goes North to Soggy/Bessimer Mine Rd area you will be looking at some serious crossgrain and whoops. South towards Landers is all all sand and depending on the route all whooped out. KOH has not gone down there in a few years.
One way or the other, your gonna need to tie down your golf bag.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
I suspect you are gonna see less desert miles with more laps and mixed desert with technical sections.
God help you if they go North of Bessimer Mine Rd/Soggy, cause thats where it gets real rough.:eek:

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
I believe the intent of sportsman was for new racers, people on a budget, and people with cars that aren't competitive in pro, like an older 800. The rule makes it easier for people to compete at KOH in almost any utv. It is literally a stepping stone class designed to boost entries.

Sportsman cars are very unlikely be driving over each other. Not that we do it in pro, but that's part of the roof requirement. It's also for big rollovers on huge obstacles, which are less likely in sportsman since they cut out most of the waterfalls last year.

It's an entry level class. If you've got a fast car and you're comfortable driving it fast, step up and run pro.

I'm sure that if people start showing up and pushing 90 mph in sportsman, Dave will take another look for 2016.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I believe the intent of sportsman was for new racers, people on a budget, and people with cars that aren't competitive in pro, like an older 800. The rule makes it easier for people to compete at KOH in almost any utv. It is literally a stepping stone class designed to boost entries.

Sportsman cars are very unlikely be driving over each other. Not that we do it in pro, but that's part of the roof requirement. It's also for big rollovers on huge obstacles, which are less likely in sportsman since they cut out most of the waterfalls last year.

It's an entry level class. If you've got a fast car and you're comfortable driving it fast, step up and run pro.

I'm sure that if people start showing up and pushing 90 mph in sportsman, Dave will take another look for 2016.

I get the intent of the class and understand why series have a sportsman class but no way the roof rule is there in case someone drives over the top. The likeliness of that is slim to none while rolling over and having a rock meet your head is much more possible despite the trails they are running on. Rollovers happen in all classes at hammers and can happen in wide open desert as well as on the easiest of Rock trails. A roof costs nothing in the grand scheme of things. I just fail to see why a rzr1000 entering in pro has to have a metal roof yet a rzr1000 that goes just as fast in sportsman doesn't have too. I know you don't make the rules. This is all just for discussion.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
While I agree with your point, my take is that the average UTV owner can not fabricate or even procure a KOH specific roof. And sportsman is in theory for the average UTV owner. Should everyone use a roof of some sort? Absolutely.

I've had a few calls about this issue, and people ask me why I said that an 1/8" roof isn't required for Sportsman. First, because when I spoke with Dave, that is how it was explained to me, and second, last year, a few people passed tech for Sportsman with roofs that didn't meet the main U4 rules. Here is an example :

That is the plastic Kawasaki accessory roof, and it was used in sportsman last year.

I would suggest that anyone who has a tech concern contact Dave directly. I do not work for U4; I merely post my interpretation of the rules to try to simplify for those who might want to race.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
And you're going North into gods country, that is some serious rough country:eek:

Enjoy the whoops and crossgrain, I will be waving as you go by again this year.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Tonight's updated registration list:

(sorry for the lack of format, I'm on my phone)

Polaris RZR KOH UTV Race Presented by HCR

Car# Driver Name Class State City
1523 AARON CLARK UTV Pro BREA CA
1958 ANDREW GORMAN UTV Pro VERNON CA
23 AUSTIN MASSINGILL UTV Pro CHATTANOOGA TN
1994 BC VAUGHT UTV Pro ANAHEIM CA
1919 BLAKE VAN DE LOO UTV Pro PHOENIX AZ
1913 BRANDEN SIMS UTV Pro PRESCOTT VALLEY AZ
TBD BRENT MACIAS UTV Pro MORENO VALLEY CA
669 BRIAN KING UTV Pro PITTSBORO NC
2 CASEY CURRIE UTV Pro ANAHEIM CA
1295 CHAD HUGHES UTV Pro WASHINGTON UT