Back pain, sciatica etc. after a weekend

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
So I have had a bad back for years from a couple bad car accidents. Lately its gotten worse after a few days in Ocotillo riding. Im now hurting pretty good and have an appointment with the doc on Friday. I never have luck with my doc though. Chiros have helped in the past but its hard to find a good one. Im looking into trying accupuncture also. With all the racers on here I know some of you have issues regardless of how good your suspension and seats are. Have any had luck with accupuncture for sciatica. I can't tie my damn boots right now.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Well Like I told My Wife who has hip and Sciatic nerve pain, I can take you out in the Pasture and Put ya Down. LOL. But Seriously I would only seek out a good Chiropractor as some of your Natural Path Doctors for a recommendation. My brothers back sometimes goes out so bad he cant get out of bed so we tried one of those Inversion tables where you basically hang upside down and that would stretch him out enough where he could heal faster. My Neighbor is 64 years old and from all of his Football injuries he is a Wreck and he swears by that Inversion Table for daily use otherwise he is in more Pain. Before using the Inversion Table Seek the advice of your Doctor to make sure your healthy enough to use it , I would hate to see you use it and have a Blood clot or anything in your legs break loose and cause Brain damage or a stroke. :eek:

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Tried one of the decompression machine thingy's? Seen some peeps have good results with disc herniations on those.. assuming of course you've had mri and it's due to herniated disc.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I was having some bad pains last year. I had a bad wreck in a buggy back in like 2000 when I dislocated some vertebrae in my neck and hurt my lumbar. Add on all the muscle weight I have put on in the my stomach region and all the travel and off-road riding and my back was f'd last year. I went to a chiropractor for the first time at the end of last year and it really helped. I was in need of a really good adjustment.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
I have a good one in newport beach off the 55. He also trains Olympic athletes. His name is dr. Knox at i think furnish chiropractic now. Has been doing my hole family for years..

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
I have a good one in newport beach off the 55. He also trains Olympic athletes. His name is dr. Knox at i think furnish chiropractic now. Has been doing my hole family for years..
Thats right where my old chiro was. Back when I was going to him, I was going every Mon, Wed, and Fri and it helped a lot. At that time I couldnt stand straight each morning in the shower for about 15 minutes. He got me fixed up but it was after seeing him 3 times a week for about two months and then it went down to about once a week. Id rather not go that route this time. As is I am fine until I go camping with the RZR for a few days. Then I come home with a numb left arm and sore back. I was told to try accupuncture for about $55 and just give it a try. I did the inversion table and decompression device and both are nice at home methods but those seem to work better on the upper back and neck area.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
I am going through some of the same problems... I have a herniated disc at l4l5 and l2l3. L4l5 is really bad, tons of pain, dr says surgery, but i asked if I could try physical therapy. Today was my 1st session and just the stretching techniques have already helped. They use the mckenzie technique, but this is for lower back and leg pain... Your arm going numb sounds like upper vertebrae... All I know is I'm willing to try anything before I have surgery. Good luck to you

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
I am going through some of the same problems... I have a herniated disc at l4l5 and l2l3. L4l5 is really bad, tons of pain, dr says surgery, but i asked if I could try physical therapy. Today was my 1st session and just the stretching techniques have already helped. They use the mckenzie technique, but this is for lower back and leg pain... Your arm going numb sounds like upper vertebrae... All I know is I'm willing to try anything before I have surgery. Good luck to you
Yep you are right...numb arm is from the upper. That started after a dirt bike accident and it kicks in after a day in the harnesses and whoops. The lower back is all new to me and sucks.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
O.k. guys. If anyone wants to chat about this, I will be happy to do so. I'd rather not discuss medical issues in an open forum. I have had this done twice. My affliction is very similar to Garrett's and Prolotherapy put me back on my dirt and mountain bikes, allowed me to golf again, and generally got rid of all the pain. I would obviously get sore after a strenuous workout, but hell I'm 57 and ain't no spring chicken anymore so I expect that.

Check out Dr. Alderman. She is a great Dr. and knows what she is talking about as she was trained by Dr. Hemwall the pioneer of this therapy.

She is located in Valencia right by Magic Mountain. Tell her I sent you. I've already refereed a number of folks to her and they all got relief from this procedure.

Good luck, been there, done that, got 50 T-Shirts!

BTW, this is the same therapy Tiger Woods and Fred Couples have had. I have also seen many postcards in her office from Olympic and professional athletes attesting to the relief they've had.

http://www.prolotherapy.com/

Dan ...

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
I had an accident in a sand car in 2006 that broke one of my discs. l4/l5. Sciatic pain, numb feet, pain, so on. Doctors rang out my insurance sending me this way and that. Pain pills, pt, nueromuscular this and that, injections, blah blah....

Surgery fixed me. Went wakeboarding a week later. Been great ever since. Dont buy into the medical game. If you have sciatic pain, you have a bulging or broken disc and nothing short of surgery is going to fix it.

And yes, PRP suspension seats for me ever since! I love them!

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Brian, sounds like 2006 treated you and my brother about the same. I believe thats the same year he was in a sand car accident that resulted in the replacement of a couple discs after nothing else worked. Im heading into the doc on Friday to see what they can tell me. Im with Kaiser so I am limited to where I can go but they have always been good to me. See what happens.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
My lower back goes out pretty regular. Actually went ro the doc about it last year. If the is no actual spinal issues like what i have it is due to a weak core and not stretching on a regular basis. Did a few months of theropy and now if i have a issue i do my stretches and pain is gone within a day.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Although I know surgery can fix some structure issues I would try the least invasive option first. Surgery causes scar tissue and it is very possible you may still be in pain the same as you were or worse. Finding a GOOD Chiropractor would be the first thing I do. Do your own research and don't just listen to what one person tells you. A GOOD Chiropractor will tell you if your a candidate for surgery or not. Do your research on the Chiropractor you see. Testimonials and reveiws are good things to look at. My wife is a good Chiropractor and has studies with allot of world renowned Doctors in there field. I have seen her help countless people with years of chronic issues that were told only surgery would fix. Many medical doctors only have drugs or surgery as there tools to make you better. I'm not saying there all bad but I'm saying you should explore all your options. I get regularly adjusted and also see a Acupuncturist on a regular basis. Accupuncture is also great I love it!

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
yikes, looks like were all torn up. i herniated L4, and L5 in a sysco warehouse 18 years ago. was told surgery will be needed. then blew out my shoulder bad doing downhill mountain bikes through a canyon. so got off dirtbikes and mountains bikes as well, got into jeeps and now utv. "with age the cage" now i can barely make the drive to vegas thanks to that damm sciatica you guys talk of. i tried a chiro in chino against my own will. and she did wonders. but hard to find time twice aw week. but it did help.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
The only temporary relief for sciatica that I found was icing..... (save for pills) Works for road trips

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000