Did you enjoy KOH?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I watched all of the backdoor challenge online and the coverage was ok but the announcing was horrible. One of the announcers was hyper as all get out and just talked about the racers from his area and did not know anything about the other racers.

I think its great to have real time coverage of an event out in BFE but the announcing needs some schoolin on the racers or just let us listen to the engines.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
The weather was a little warm in the sun. The nights were epic.

Monday: Pulled into the heights around noon. There were a lot of people camped there for being a Monday. We posted up and started unloading all our crap. Our group forgot to bring firewood so we had to purchase KOH wood ($200) for half a truck bed. At night we took a ride over to Turkey Claw to watch the Jagged X crew testing a little. Wrapped Monday sitting around the jumbo tron watching Backdoor Challenge. There was not a huge fire in Hammertown this year. I heard a Jeep drove into the fire so the BLM pulled the plug.

Tuesday: 8:00am we loaded up to prerun the course.

We made it to RM21 before a RZR in our group broke a taper pin. For the next few hours we sat in a canyon fixing it. Once we rigged it up we limped it 20 miles back to camp. This burnt half our day.

While driving back my Teryx 4 went into limp mode. My parking brake light would come on and then it would not go over 18mph. I stopped many times to try and figure it out.

Once we got back to camp I tore the car apart and found a small group of wires melted together. This was totally my fault. When I was putting the car together i did not install a massive heat shield. The new Muzzy exhaust was too close to the loom and melted some wires. I found the hot for the 12v acc plug had melted into the parking brake warning light wire. I separated it and repaired the wire. At this point our day was spent fixing machines. So we decided to prerun the course at night. I took this photo with my new Sony A6000.

Wednesday: 7:30am we pulled out of camp and headed for RM 3. Today we are chasing the UTV race all over the Hammers. I was covering the event as well as shooting pics for Mitch Guthrie. After the racers all came through RM 3 we headed to the Sand Hill around RM 41. Sims was the 11th car off the line and the first to reach the Sand Hill.

Guthrie who started 28th was second to arrive.

From then on we spent the day watching Mitch work his way through rock trail after rock trail. He had such a huge lead we never saw another machine on the course. We spent that night hanging in the heights with all the UTV racers. We watched Chuck Norris come down Turkey Claw on a Honda 185.

Thursday: This was a hangout day. We did not do much.

Friday: 7:30am we took off for RM 5. Watching these cars fly across the dry lake with a heli 20 feet above them in awesome. Then we hit Sledge Hammer. We watched the leaders come through so we moved to Jackhammer. We spent the rest of the day watching the shit show there. Around 2pm we pulled out of Hammertown and headed home.

Last edited:

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
got to boone road sat jan 31 at 1030 am. i brought the utv/transpotation, so my buddy brought the 5th wheel rv. on boone road his rv broke a p4 leaf spring pack clean in half. rig leaned to one side. waited for hours for the new spring pack to show up. started on the cold beer early. on the way to camp the truck pulling the rv got stuck in the mud, so that was our camp for awhile. meet some cool new peeps. made some babyback ribbs on the bbq. sun: watched king of the motos, and the superbowl with the monster energy girls :), mon: went to the heights to chat with jon crowley jr. went to backdoor challenge with a bbq, beer and hotdogs. tue: ran the teryx all day, wed watched utv race, thur emc, fri koh. friday night witness a wild chat between shannon campbel and dave cole. rumor is there was some huge exposions in our camp. but i dont know what your talking about.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
I was camped just North of the Heights down the slope a bit. By time I get out there Thursday everything is packed and I like a little room to breathe at camp so it works out well. Still has good view of Hammertown. If you're talking about a 1.75L SoBe bomb or 2, I saw those as well....pretty close to my camp:cool:

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
I was camped just North of the Heights down the slope a bit. By time I get out there Thursday everything is packed and I like a little room to breathe at camp so it works out well. Still has good view of Hammertown. If you're talking about a 1.75L SoBe bomb or 2, I saw those as well....pretty close to my camp:cool:
nice. i need a replacement sobe. bought all i could at big lots when they had them. tried starbucks bottle but no good. 1.75 must be huge

Sandman365

Booze Cruzin'
May 24, 2013
Escondido
nice. i need a replacement sobe. bought all i could at big lots when they had them. tried starbucks bottle but no good. 1.75 must be huge
Many years ago after I couldn't find SoBe's I started using handles of Vodka (1.75L) and glad cuz it's awesome. Anything with a metallic cap, rather than all plastic, seems to work well.

Soonerjeeper

Nov 24, 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed my first time at KOH. I was there for 9 days and camped with the guys from PRP...always a good time. I got a ton of footage and interviews and I'm currently compiling for the first video - UTV highlight video and several interview videos. It was an absolute blast but a ton of work to get as much footage as I could. It was great to meet with many of the UTV drivers and vendor owners over the week. Look forward to the opportunity to go back! I'm pretty sure we had the biggest and baddest camp fire on Friday night. Surprised the fire department didn't come and put it out.

Reactions: TREE68

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
The live feed was good. The camera had good clear vid. The only thing I wish they would have done is covered the whole UTV race and not gone to qualifying.

American Rock Rods

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Jan 27, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Still the side show..

Not for much longer. It's just like desert racing. We are under respected but coming up fast. While lots of jeep guys hate us, lots of them are converting. Top 3 guys in 4400 own one or more RZR's. Probably another 40% of the class owns one.

This year UTV class had similar prize money to 4400, but we had a lower entry cost, and much lower build costs.

This class will grow. Dave's plan is to push non competitive 4400 guys to EMC. In five years he wants a max of 30 to 40 cars in that class, with 200+ in EMC and 150 ish in UTV. 30 cars qualifying means he can get all of them done Tuesday, even if they take 20 minutes.

Go look on pirate right now. EMC and 4400 guys are bitching about jackhammer on course. Yet so far, UTV drivers haven't complained at all. We look awesome right now.

Was it hard? Yep. So what? My only issue is sportsman cars having to go up Jack, and I'll call Dave about it in the next few months. Pro class? Send us wherever. But we should get til 5 to finish. Not 4. If we break 100 entries we should get until 6. Otherwise no issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000