Noncommercial Class A License

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
As a preface to this post I just want to say that this is supposed to be informative in nature and not necessarily an opinion on the law.

For the past 4 years I have towed our WW LE3505 all over the state with our kids attending everything from desert trips to sports tournaments. I was aware of the licensing requirements for 5th wheels over 15,000 GVW but always thought "Why would I ever get pinched for that?" After a group of friends got hassled at the entrance to Pismo by CHP for towing trailers and checking for proper licenses I decided to make a trip down to our local DMV (which as you guys know can be an agonizing way to spend your time) and find out what I needed to do to get a Noncommercial Class A.

In summary I had to:
-Fill out an application
-Pass the class C and noncommercial Class A tests
-Fill out a health questionnaire
-Pass the vision test
I then scheduled a drive test with a commercial examiner and had to:
-Perform a pre-trip inspection
-Pass the driving test
-Pass the skills test (backing through different cone configurations)

Oh and pay $33 of course (there's a tax on everything we do in our state)

Sooo with all of this said, anyone towing a tag trailer with a GVWR greater than 10,000 lbs or a 5th wheel with a GVWR greater than 15,000lbs needs this license by law. This is all a moot point for those of you with Commercial class A licenses already. Its pretty easy to obtain and worth the couple hours of hassle to alleviate any potential issue with a commercial cop down the road.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
A big negative for carrying a commercial or non-commercial (CDL) class A drivers licience is that it supersedes your class C license. So if you get a speeding ticket in your car, the fine & points are based on a class A license. So a $250 ticket with a class C will be a $500 ticket for those carrying a CDL. Not 100% sure in regards to a Non-commercial A, but a commercial A can't take driving school either, so you cant drop the points on your record. Also if stopped for drinking a CDL blood/alcohal limit is .04 vs .08.

IMO carrying a class A has more risk with less reward then just carrying a class C. If it was me I would play the stupid card and wait till I get ticketed for not having a class A when pulling a trailer over 15K.

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
I am glad you brought this up. Those reasons are what pushed me the "noncommercial" direction. The rules for traffic school, BAC, and ticket amounts only apply with a commercial license. I could use the commercial license with my business but don't need it often enough and the risk does not warrant the reward.

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
Not sure on the fine... It's more the hassle of dealing with it while on a trip. The likelihood of getting a ticket or held up on a trip until a properly licensed driver arrives is probably pretty low. I just did it for a little peace of mind.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
A big negative for carrying a commercial or non-commercial (CDL) class A drivers licience is that it supersedes your class C license. So if you get a speeding ticket in your car, the fine & points are based on a class A license. So a $250 ticket with a class C will be a $500 ticket for those carrying a CDL. Not 100% sure in regards to a Non-commercial A, but a commercial A can't take driving school either, so you cant drop the points on your record. Also if stopped for drinking a CDL blood/alcohal limit is .04 vs .08.

IMO carrying a class A has more risk with less reward then just carrying a class C. If it was me I would play the stupid card and wait till I get ticketed for not having a class A when pulling a trailer over 15K.

Sorry but you are mistaken you can take driving school as long as you aren't in a commercial vehicle when you are stopped. I got a 70 in a 55 with a trailer in my pickup. Took the school and fine was about 350.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
I have a commercial class A and it depends on the officer and how they write the ticket if it is written as a class a or class c. Most of the time if you nice to them they will cut you a break. Just obey the laws while towing and you will never have a issue. Also remember length comes into play while towing.

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
One other thing is if you get in an accident and you are driving out of class it automatically become your fault.
I've even wondered how an insurance company would handle this situation. One would think that the opposing party would have that much more ammunition to deny a claim and throw it back on your carrier even if they were at fault.

loco

Loco Time - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
Placerville, CA
As a preface to this post I just want to say that this is supposed to be informative in nature and not necessarily an opinion on the law.

For the past 4 years I have towed our WW LE3505 all over the state with our kids attending everything from desert trips to sports tournaments. I was aware of the licensing requirements for 5th wheels over 15,000 GVW but always thought "Why would I ever get pinched for that?" After a group of friends got hassled at the entrance to Pismo by CHP for towing trailers and checking for proper licenses .
How long ago was this that they got hassled at pismo? Have you heard of them hassling people often? I had heard that CHP was doing that close to glamis for a time also.

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
Its been about a year now (early 2014) since the license checks happened. Does this happen often?? No. But once is enough to screw up someone's weekend. In all likelihood it would never be an issue for the majority of guys out there hauling. I took my noncommercial class A driving test in San Jose, CA and the instructor said he gets only about 1 applicant annually taking this specific test and he's been there for 20+ years.

loco

Loco Time - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
Placerville, CA
Good to know, I was at pismo 2 times last year, (march and October) and didn't see anything but its good to know they are starting to look. I'm going to look into it. The skills test was just backing the trailer into a simulated RV camp spot wasn't it?

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az

With a Commercial License you pretty much give up all of your rights when it come to your Vehicle if I remember correctly, like they can search your vehicle at any time and do a blood test for drugs and Alcohol at any time.
I sure am glad I live in AZ where we don't have as many crazy regulations and Laws to always make life difficult and one more way for the state of Nazifornia to rape you for a buck or 30 bucks LOL. One more reason the cost of living costs more there. Just have to raise the prices of your products to stay on top of it.

Reactions: Knucklehead

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
Good to know, I was at pismo 2 times last year, (march and October) and didn't see anything but its good to know they are starting to look. I'm going to look into it. The skills test was just backing the trailer into a simulated RV camp spot wasn't it?
Yes with a beer in hand...

Skills test was:
-Backing in a straight line 100'
-Backing into a spot parallel to previous sport (veer over and back straight)
-Backing into a spot perpendicular to truck and trailer (so backing combined with a 90 degree turn)

Rzrcsi

La Familia
Jun 18, 2012
Central Cal.
I got mine last month... PITA. The local office didn't even know what to do. Finally got them straightened out. The "Inspection" part of the test was WAY more detailed than I thought it should be for a personally owned vehicle but passed. The "camping spot" maneuver just about kicked my butt cuz trying to stab a 44ft 5er though cones 12 ft. apart without crossing the edge lines while backing nearly 90 deg. is physically impossible with a long rear overhang (he cut me some slack when I showed him the physical impossibility of the requirement boundaries.)

I did it mostly cuz I didn't want to take any chances if involved in an accident. I think insurance co. will find any reason not to pay... and then someone is gunna sue me.

LEOs have better things to do than pull-over 5th wheels to check for lic. (like avoiding getting shot by home-grown terrorist) and only really interested in your lic. when things go bad or you're driving like an A-hole.

Andy

Maverick - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 2, 2013
Buena Park, Calif
LEOs have better things to do than pull-over 5th wheels to check for lic. (like avoiding getting shot by home-grown terrorist) and only really interested in your lic. when things go bad or you're driving like an A-hole.
Not entirely true...Bro-in-law got pulled over on I10 coming home from Glamis last year, with his 4005 Full Throttle. I was following with my tag. He was cruising 55 mph up the grade just east of Morongo cassino. CHP swooped between us and lit him up. Only had his C. He got a ticket for driving out of class, and we had to wait 2 1/2 hour for a friend with CDL to come out to Morongo and drive the rig home.

He went to court and played the ignorant of the law card, and just had to get his non commercial class A.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000