TIred of failing CVT belts - What do you think of an Automated Manual Side by Side

Oct 19, 2015
First off I would like to say thanks for the great content in this forum. I would like use this post to introduce a Innovation project to the community and get some feedback from all of your experiences.

Me and my team are in the planning stages for building an automated manual transmission version of the Yamaha YXZ1000R. We are looking to gather some feedback about the design of the control system for an automated manual transmission side by side demonstrator based on the Yamaha YXZ1000r.

Here is a brief introduction to the automated manual transmission control system:
The clutch pedal is replaced with electronic master cylinder
The hand shifter is replaced with an electronic actuator
We also are thinking of keeping the hand shifter but converting it to only send electronic signals to the transmission controller so the driver could still shift by banging the shifter if he/she wanted too
Electronic paddle shifters attached to the steering wheel will be installed for up shifts and down shifts triggered by the driver.

The transmission controller we are using will have multiple options to control the transmission shifts
Full Auto - Programmed shift points will automatically be triggered based on vehicle speed throttle position, and engine speed requiring no driver input to up shift or down shift,
Full Manual - Up Shifts and down shifts will occur only if triggered by the driver pressing the + or - paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel. Example: If your in mud or climbing a hill at 10,500 rpm in 2nd gear you will stay on the rev limiter at 10,500 rpm until you select the up or down shift button.
Beast Mode - Auto programmed shifts with a 10,000 rpm shift point automatically triggered with no interaction needed from the driver for up or down. Example: If you want to go as fast as possible through a trail and don't want to worry about shifting, keeping both hands on the steering wheel just mash the gas and hold on, the transmission will automatically shift at 10,000 rpm.

Launch Control - By holding the brake and accelerator down at the same time, the engine will rev to a predefined rpm rev limit and then when the brake pedal is released the clutch will automatically be released and the rev limit will be removed.

Drive, Reverse, Auto, Manual, and Beast Mode will all be selectable by the driver

I would like to use this thread to update our progress including build pictures and user survey questions as we work through the construction. Thanks in advance for any interest, comments or suggestions.

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Sounds like a fun alternative to the full manual trans.

I am sure you have done this but just as an FYI might take a look at the way Honda does theirs, i believe in this years 1000cc model they have a fully auto and paddle shift type set up.

Reactions: Simi Dude
Oct 19, 2015
jajl22

awesome avatar!

We are considering using the Honda paddles to get rolling.

The Honda system is similar to what we are proposing only our system is for single clutch manual transmissions. So ATV and UTV manual transmissions non Dual Clutch Transmission could benefit from our packaged solution. I think Honda is the first with DCT in a side by side and not sure if other OEM's are working towards that concept.

Attachments

cocojoe

May 14, 2012
We have two Yamaha BITD/SCORE builds in the works and we would be interested to learn more about what you are doing and possibly incorporating it into one if not both of our builds. I would love to hear more about what you are doing, email me at [email protected] and we can discuss what the future plans are. Thanks

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
We have two Yamaha BITD/SCORE builds in the works and we would be interested to learn more about what you are doing and possibly incorporating it into one if not both of our builds. I would love to hear more about what you are doing, email me at [email protected] and we can discuss what the future plans are. Thanks
You better check the rules....I think i have read something about oem powertrains for the Pro Class.

Oct 19, 2015
Thanks joeyD23

Here's another showing a low torque drive away. If you ever tried to take of slow, creep or drive a yxz up a trailer ramp you'll appreciate how smooth the drive away is. You can crawl it up a curb or rock just as gentle.

Oct 19, 2015

One of the investors was having a little too much fun with the paddle down shifting into a turn hooked a rut and flipped it 1.5 times.

Cars ok cage is not!

Any recommendations for a aftermarket cage???

Reactions: tatum

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
i will be honest when you posted 6 months ago or whatever it was i figured this was just a pipe dream...pretty cool that you guys actually have a running driving prototype and are getting closer to production.

The more the market comes out with non-cvt vehicles the more of a need there will be for this...i doubt Yamaha will be the only non-cvt vehicle.

Oct 19, 2015
A Lot of people inside the company said the same thing too. I guess me and my team surprised you too! We are still working very hard to get this on a show room floor for everyone to enjoy as much as I am right now! It's a blast to drive like a rally car!

Jajl22 if you want to know more shoot me a pm and I'll give you a call

Our next step is looking like tube works gear reduction so we can make it a better crawler first gear launching on steep grades is tricky with the high gear ratio Yamaha picked. It's will do it now you just can't be shy with the throttle. Creeper gear should make our job with calibration and drivability even better.

Last edited:

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
thats an air cylinder correct? you have to plumb a compressor and tank and lines with it? or do you plan to use an electrical servo, although they are reliable they are super slow. the air cylinder is by far the fastest. just wondering as i have heard the video with the upshift and wondered what type of shift assembly you used

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000