Why not the YXZ. ?

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
No belt, stronger top end and stronger bottem end.Tube works is reporting a greater than 90 mph top end with only a slight motor tune. So why is hardly no one building one and very few racing one in the top circuit ? Is it a brand loyalty thing ? No turbo ? Im curious to know as I try to figure out what I am going to do for my new car. With tube works guts and one of the top builders like Fabwerks involved is this not a better race car option ? I am looking forward to seeing the Wellers V2R effort.

Last edited:

jakecarver91

Nov 11, 2009
Watch a desert race with them competing. They look like turtles compared to rabbits. Take a look at the baby cvs and axles. Where do you put the fuel cell and get a reasonable amount of volume and keep a low center of gravity? Why go with a car that you have to change transmission gears in just to be able to run a 30" tire? Seems pointless to try to re invent the wheel with a non proven machine when the parts, testing, etc is already out there for the RZR. Just my opinion. When the YXZ first came out I thought about building one and then I saw the car in person and my first thought was rhino with different styling. Anyone who was around for the rhino desert racing days knows that basically every single part needed replaced to be reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Everybody thinks Polaris is going to give them a car if they win. The Yamaha will be a great platform when done correctly by the right builder. There is 3 seperate dampeners on the driveline and so far axles or cv's have not been an issue. They way the front end is built it will be easy to get more wheelbase and the center of gravity is already lower than a polaris so that isn't really an issue as a custom tank could be fitted under the seats. I drove one at the dunes with big paddles and it had pretty good torque and Im not sure a gear reduction is necessary. Obviously the lack of a belt is a huge advantage as well as top speed, especially in Blade In The Desert. Polaris racers have been going since 2008 or so and Yamaha is just getting started. They are already dominating short course and I suspect the will be very competitive when a quality team with good drivers gets out there.

Reactions: Simi Dude

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
What does that say about the current teams and drivers with yamahas?:D
Ive been paying attention and I have not noticed a truly serious effort being made by anyone in an XYZ as of yet. This was the reason for starting this thread.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
everyone, everywhere, on every forum, every fakebook page, every water hole, at the bottom of ever sand dune, everybody you talk to hates the CVT and belt system. everyone is scared of them like its black magic and the devil inside their clutch cover. every forum you ready and fakebook page you see everyone is scared to death and clammering and bickering about the belts breaking and they hate the belt ect and were going to the YXZ as soon as it came out. BUT now that it came out and almost every one of the first 500 machines built chewed the wet clutch up withing 200-300 miles, everyone took a big gulp and chilled out.

but when you actually look at the desert racing, all of the serious teams, easily everyone in the top 10 overall at each race typically have a flawless race without belt issues. there are solutions for every rider, there are parts that will allow you to run your machine hard (to an extent) without blowing belts. regardless of what machine it is, XP900, XP1000, XPTurbo, and Maverick. there are solutions for each and every one that i have and other companies make that will fix the clutching issues and allow you to run pretty much problem free with the belt not having to be one of your worries. to keep the clutches maintained and perfect, you may not want to spend the money it requires, because to fix and prep the clutches in these machines its not a cheap venture, but i have found a way to make almost every single machine out there bullet proof. occasionally we get a hiccup, redlands clutch decided to spew out all the grease from the one-way bearing half way thru the mint400 causing their entire clutch to be covered in grease, which caused the belt to slip horribly and cost them their only belt they have blown. could it have been prevented? who knows there are always freak things that can happen. but for the most part, with the correct parts applied to the clutches, and a decent understanding of how they work and what you can and cant do, the CVT shouldnt be something to worry with. It was said when the yamaha was being released that it was going to be the biggest game changer ever and desert racing would change with a 6speed manual car and 90mph capable machine. but uhhh, news flash, the stock 27" tires that are 33lbs mounted on the wheels allow you to run WAYYYY faster top speeds than what happens when you bolt a set of 45lb per corner 30s on a machine. your magical 90mph will just have turned into 75mph. the gearing in the yamaha is honestly too tall to run a big tire effectively. once you take the 1300lb machine and outfit it to handle the desert it becomes a 1800lb machine and reflashed and piped and all it only has the power, with the super tall gearing, to pull about 80 at best in the desert with a big tire. they may be awesome at some things, their suspension layout makes them corner like a shifter cart. they load the outside rear tire and steer thru the corners faster than anything ever thats why they are killing it in the short course. with the gear reduction in the trans and the right shock setup they kick ass. you can carry so much more speed thru a turn than a polaris can dream of. but out in the desert the polaris suspension setup shines. i watched a yamaha out at plaster city earlier this year being tested and worked on to try to get the shocks right over the course of 2 days and nothing made it run smooth and jump flat like a polaris will do out of the box. the yamaha can probably be built into an awesome desert car with the right person at the helm with the suspension figuring it all out. but i dont think it will dethrone polaris for a good while in BITD and SCORE races.

Reactions: Nacho

bluediamond

Jun 24, 2015
Ive been paying attention and I have not noticed a truly serious effort being made by anyone in an XYZ as of yet. This was the reason for starting this thread.
I wouldn't call Staggs effort, lacking seriousness.
Wasnt meant as a slight to Staggs or his guys. I believe Jason Weller took 7th at KOH in a basically Stock car with the exception of a gear reduction kit. To me to make a serious run to the front in these cars you will need to be running some sort of gear reduction kit. I was disipointed Staggs couldnt make the last race.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Wasnt meant as a slight to Staggs or his guys. I believe Jason Weller took 7th at KOH in a basically Stock car with the exception of a gear reduction kit. To me to make a serious run to the front in these cars you will need to be running some sort of gear reduction kit. I was disipointed Staggs couldnt make the last race.
You have to understand also, you have to first beat the desert, then your competitors to win a desert race. There is a lot of elements to winning.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I wouldn't call Staggs effort, lacking seriousness.
I wouldn't either but its not factory supported with multiple free cars, parts budget, and entry fees paid, let alone several years of R&D. Privateers against multiple factory teams are facing an uphill battle.

And Adam, last time I checked shock mounting positions are not required to remain factory, and 2 days of shock testing is hardly comparable to several years. I can understand you talking up the cvt but I bet Polaris goes away from it.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
Both the major manufacturers already have electronic controlled trans and electric controlled cvt. can am claims it's not quite time yet and they think they have quite a few more years of belt drive. I am not sure with Polaris on when they plan to ditch the belt. It's so super cheap. You can't imagine now little money they have in the entire cvt, belt and all. That's the main reason they keep it, cause the bean counters love it. It's cheap. It works. And it's cheap. They may come out with electric controlled cvt on the next release. Who knows. Cvt aren't perfect. But pretty much all the top teams aren't havin belt troubles anymore.

tatum

Feb 10, 2009
arizona
It seems to me the top teams have learned how to manage their belts so they dont blow. That means slowing down in certain conditions.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Time, it just takes time. The Lucas Oil racers have it figured out. The YXZ is dominating. Currently one desert team is working on it. They developed a great looking car, 1st race they were taken out by another racer on Lap 1, 2nd race the shock tower ripped out of the frame. Staggs decided he needed to test and get the suspension setup before he hits another race. Being a "Regular Working Sap" its hard to find time to test, test and retest. It will come, the Wellers are building a desert car right now, I know of two other BITD builds in progress. Hang tight, it will get sorted out.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
My personal opinion is that it takes an awful lot of time and effort to not only get a machine dialed in for desert racing, but to invest in the development of it and all of the spare parts necessary to actually be competitive in the desert. For the guys racing Polaris, their whole program is based around that brand and vehicle - not an easy or inexpensive task to change manufacturers, even if they wanted to. So, that leaves pretty much new teams coming in to decide what vehicle to run.....which, there aren't a lot of new teams coming in with a Yamaha because it is such a new vehicle. It will happen....it's much easier to get a new car ready for a stock short-course class than a desert class....which is why we are seeing so many in short-course so soon. The desert stuff will come....but it will be a more gradual development. We are looking forward to putting some miles our new desert racer....and the Yamaha is a stout platform....it will do well out there, I have no doubt.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Speaking to the belt issue. People have figured out that if you keep your clutch and motor aligned, tune the clutch properly and watch belt temperatures then the problem pretty much goes away. Imo the key to watching belt temps is the Razorback sensor. . It has an awesome read out of the actual belt.

Oct 19, 2015
How about yxz gear reduction automated manual?? We are thinking about tube works on our Yamaha so we can get it to crawl paddle shift and race across desert with different drive modes all in one vehicle??

cw_mi

Jul 17, 2017
but when you actually look at the desert racing, all of the serious teams, easily everyone in the top 10 overall at each race typically have a flawless race without belt issues. there are solutions for every rider, there are parts that will allow you to run your machine hard (to an extent) without blowing belts. regardless of what machine it is, XP900, XP1000, XPTurbo, and Maverick. there are solutions for each and every one that i have and other companies make that will fix the clutching issues and allow you to run pretty much problem free with the belt not having to be one of your worries. to keep the clutches maintained and perfect, you may not want to spend the money it requires, because to fix and prep the clutches in these machines its not a cheap venture, but i have found a way to make almost every single machine out there bullet proof.
And that is why I've been trying to get ahold of you. Not a racer but would love to be able to run my XP as hard as I'd like without having to pay attention to that damn belt temp gauge.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
sorry we have missed you. We do have exactly what you need. Send me an email please sir we have been cramming for V2R the last 2-3 weeks and the phone support has been lackluster and i apologize. Shoot me an email with all your specs and i can help you out for sure.

Reactions: XplaneSR1 and cw_mi

cw_mi

Jul 17, 2017
sorry we have missed you. We do have exactly what you need. Send me an email please sir we have been cramming for V2R the last 2-3 weeks and the phone support has been lackluster and i apologize. Shoot me an email with all your specs and i can help you out for sure.
Awesome, i left a message a week ago, and said that i understood you were probably busy with racing stuff. i'll get an email to you asap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000