Can-Am 2018 CAN-AM OFF-ROAD Lineup Quick Look

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
2018 CAN-AM OFF-ROAD

WHAT’S NEW AT-A-GLANCE

Going beyond what is expected. Over achieving. Answering the call.

Can-Am asserts itself once again by being more aggressive in its approach and making sensible decisions in growing its line of market-influencing off-road vehicles. The latest 2018 Can-Am side-by-side vehicles redefine adventure, functionality and recreation by not only meeting market and global demands, but also by delivering advanced specialty-use packages and segment-altering craftsmanship. The Can-Am brand’s industry leadership is abundantly showcased with the launch of a line of spirited 50-inch Recreational-Sport-class Maverick Trail vehicles, a family of Maverick X3 vehicles specifically made to excel in rugged terrain and three new purpose-built Can-Am Defender packages. Both the Defender X mr HD10 and Maverick X rc vehicles include an all-new state-of-the-art front differential system with Smart-Lok technology for unrivaled surefootedness.

Can-Am Side-By-Side Vehicles
RECREATIONAL-SPORT
Maverick Trail family

Recreational sport side-by-side enthusiasts’ reasons for riding may vary and change with each new adventure, but their vehicle shouldn’t have to. Enter the new 50-in. (127 cm) Maverick Trail family: Agile. Adventurous. Confident.

A choice between a sturdy 800cc (51 hp) and a strong 976cc (75 hp) Rotax V-Twin engines provides ample performance for recreational endeavors. The power is paired with a sturdy CVT Quick Response Transmission, Visco-Lok QE and Dynamic Power Steering to enhancing control, dependability, making the getaways more enjoyable.

A trail-designed Torsional Trailing A-arm-Terrain (TTA-T) rear suspension and double A-arm front suspension was engineered to supply an equal balance of performance, durability and comfort. The vehicle’s segment-leading wheelbase and its ample 10 inches of ground clearance and more than 10-in. / 10.5 inches of travel (front and rear) ensure great handling on the trails.

An unrivaled appearance — complete with Can-Am Maverick X3 styling hints and signature Can-Am DNA details — is sure to please new buyers as much as the spacious, segment-altering interior. A durable lightweight chassis, reduced maintenance requirements and a DIY maintenance friendly design give the Maverick Trail a leg up on trails and the competition.

The Maverick Trail family consists of four models (Maverick Trail 800 / Maverick Trail DPS 800 / Maverick Trail 1000 / Maverick Trail DPS 1000). The vehicles are available in four color schemes The Can-Am Maverick Trail family of side-by-side vehicles comes well equipped (starting at $10,999 USD / $13,299 CAD) from the factory, but with more than 100 Can-Am accessories, owners can customize it to match their personality and needs.

SUPER-SPORT
The new Maverick X3 X rc Turbo R and Maverick X3 X rc Turbo vehicles are each purpose-built from the factory to excel in challenging terrain. A new industry-exclusive front differential system with Smart-Lok technology offers unrivaled surefootedness when the going gets super tough. With the popularity of ownership customization and recreational and competitive rock crawling on the rise, Can-Am — the official side-by-side vehicle of the ULTRA4 King of the Hammers rock-crawling race — built two different X3 rc packages to appease these rock hounds’ passion and budgets.

The new 172 hp Maverick X3 X rc Turbo R and 120 hp X3 X rc Turbo (no intercooler) packages are all about meeting rock-crawling enthusiast’s strict standards. Can-Am engineers meticulously designed the X rc models to supply the utmost of maneuverability in rugged terrain, integrating items for occupant safety, convenience, huge traction, and high clearance.

The Maverick X3 X rc side-by-side vehicles skillfully blend their industry-leading power, precision handling and unmatched comfort levels with a groundbreaking factory-installed, rock-discipline package to bring the brand’s dynamic riding experience to new territory. Defiant, precise and powerful for when the going gets extremely rocky!

UTILITY-RECREATION
Can-Am, an industry forerunner in delivering specialized innovation to the off-road market, brings three entirely new off-road riding experiences to its Defender side-by-side vehicle family further cementing itself as the leader in the Utility-Recreation segment.

The all-new, aggressive Can-Am Defender X mr HD10, with its aggressive and functional mud-ready design and new, state-of-the-art Smart-Lok front differential takes tough, capable and clever to new depths. An authentic mud monster, the muscular Defender not only reinforces the Can-Am brand’s leadership in the mud-riding spectrum, but it does so with unmatched styling, ergonomically friendly interior and unmatched engineering ingenuity.

The state-of-the-art Smart-Lok lockable front differential and large 30-in. (76.2 cm) ITP Cryptid mud tires, when mated to the existing 72hp Rotax V-twin HD10 engine, durable PRO-TORQ Transmission supply unprecedented levels of grip and sure-footed control in the mud. Ample cargo capacities and towing capabilities also ensure the Defender remains true to its roots as tough-as-nails worker while also providing incomparable mud mannerisms.

Starting at $18,999 USD / $22,899 CAD, the specialized Defender X mr HD10 vehicle is available in either a Carbon Black & Sunburst Yellow finish or premium Mossy Oak Break-Up Country camo.

Designed equally with power, comfort and convenience, the 2018 Can-Am Defender XT-P HD10 easily provides on the family’s Tough, Capable and Clever promise, but does so with a distinctively sporty edge, FOX 2.0 Podium shocks and a stimulating Carbon Black & Can-Am Red finish. Its 72-hp Rotax HD10 V-Twin is specifically tuned for serious work, but also offers 61 lb-ft torque and peak torque at lower RPM for optimal delivery for recreational applications.

Dressed to the nines in its Carbon Black & Can-Am Red X Package configuration (seating trim, graphics), this utility-recreation animal is functionally outfitted with key components (integrated protective gear/cast-aluminum wheels/FOX shocks) to heighten the adventure. Three driving modes, an efficient power steering system and a proven PRO-TORQ transmission make the Defender XT-P vehicle a versatile performer for work and recreation. It has a starting price of $18,499 USD / $22,099 CAD.

The Can-Am Defender MAX Lone Star HD10 side-by-side vehicle delivers a tough, capable and clever composition with specific package enhancements designed to complement the swagger and grit of the modern Texas rancher and outdoorsmen. Whether it’s exploring the rugged backcountry or tackling agricultural chores, the Defender Lone Star edition, with its one-of-a-kind identity, is the perfect tool for tackling any task.

The appropriately dressed Lone Star HD10 package, complete with “Lone Star” badging, receives all the 2018 Can-Am Defender side-by-side vehicle family improvements. This includes new front and rear arched A-arms and a sway bar for enhanced ground clearance and improved handling in challenging terrain. New, larger 28-in. (71.1 cm) Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires on 14-in. (35.6 cm) aluminum wheels are as functionally adept and durable, for the varying Texas terrain, as they are attractive. The muscular 72hp Rotax V-Twin-powered Lone Star HD10 vehicle includes a full hard roof, heavy-duty front steel bumper, custom seat trim, and painted Deep Metallic Black finish, giving it the proper look of a long, tall Texan. This tough customer starts at $19,499 USD / $23,499 CAD.

ADDITIONAL CAN-AM SSV LINEUP IMPROVEMENTS
Smart-Lok - Full lockable on-the-fly front differential with electronically controlled automatic modes
• A new industry standard, electronically controlled front lockable differential system with Smart-Lok technology ensures maximum traction and enhanced slow-speed maneuverability especially in challenging terrain. The Smart-Lok system, developed in conjunction with TEAM Industries, takes integrated intelligence to new heights and allows on-the-fly adjustments. The differential can lock and unlock on the fly no matter the speed, letting the driver focus on the trail.
• Smart-Lok offers intelligent modes for different riding conditions. The brain controlling this industry leading technology is the Front Differential Module, gathering input from six key vehicle parameters. It analyzes front wheel speed from both sides, steering angle, accelerator pedal, gear position, engine torque and vehicle speed. Depending on the readings and the Smart-Lok system’s setting, the actuator will instantaneously initiate the locking of the front differential. The result is simple steering output (same as being fully open), allowing the driver to accurately conquer varying obstacles while maintaining momentum.
• The driver has the option to select between four modes: 2x4 / 4x4 fully locked / 4x4 ROCK and 4x4 TRAIL. The preset ROCK and TRAIL settings are designed to enhance the off-road experience by offering a more customized feel to match to specific terrain, conditions and demands. Our engineering team further enriched the system by including hill descent control, which includes an Electronic Braking System (EBS) at all four wheels, for improved control and traction.

Can-Am SSV Lineup Colorations
• White — Maverick Trail 800 / Maverick Trail 1000
• Sunburst Yellow (painted) — Maverick Trail DPS 800 / Maverick Trail DPS 1000
• Can-Am Red — Maverick Trail DPS 1000
• Mossy Oak Break-Up Country Camo — Maverick Trail DPS 1000 / Defender X mr HD10
• Black & Octane Blue — Maverick X3 X rc Turbo (w/ black cage) / Maverick X3 X rc Turbo R (w/ blue cage)
• Carbon Black (painted) and Can-Am Red — Defender XT-P HD10
• Deep Metallic Black (painted) — Defender MAX HD10 Lone Star
• Carbon Black & Sunburst Yellow (painted) — Defender X mr HD10

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
The Sand Show was packed with new X3 and Max X3 cars so these new pro are really going to Galvanize there market presence for the future.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Come on people, where is the excitement over this cool new ride. A King of the Hammer tested rock crawling sport SXS.

How about the nifty little 50" model Can Am released? Game changing, next level sh-- right there.

This place is dead silent if there are no races going on.

Reactions: kmb760 and JoeyD23

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Come on people, where is the excitement over this cool new ride. A King of the Hammer tested rock crawling sport SXS.

How about the nifty little 50" model Can Am released? Game changing, next level sh-- right there.

This place is dead silent if there are no races going on.
50" Trail models are hardly anything to get excited about except for maybe the die hard Can-Am guy. I mean, RZR & Arctic Cat and even Honda have had those models for years. The Can-Am Trail is a price point model with mild horsepower.

The rock crawler edition is cool for sure, but again, its nothing that hasn't already been on the market. I mean, think about it. All the real Can-Am guys and us in the sport wanted was a real 4WD front end / diff in a Maverick (have been asking for YEARS). Well, they got it finally, but to get it you have to also buy Can-Am's other accessories that come on that XRC model. Most guys like myself would just want that diff in an X3 Xrs or something, I want to do the mods / accessories myself and don't want to have to spend extra for stuff I don't want or need.

With that said, you could argue the same thing when Polaris introduced their Rock Crawler edition RZR two years ago. We all just really wanted the lower gearing and rock crawler specific driveline components. BUT, there is definitely a LOT of consumers who aren't like me, and want to buy a turnkey model with wheels, tires, winch, lights, skid plates, etc etc from a dealership.

I can see why the excitement isn't really all there right now outside of the Can-Am community.

I think Can-Am captured everyone's attention with the initial launch of the X3 and that was not only a high for them but a real high for our industry, that was innovation at its finest and they finally beat Polaris to the punch and gave their fans, racers and even loyalists of other brands something to be excited about. The X3 Max is selling well it seems despite its immediate backlash for being way to long. While these new models are cool, they aren't really industry firsts as much as they are simply firsts for Can-Am. The front locking diff has some cool features but we had locking diffs in Rhino's and Teryx's back in the day so for some of us its not all that intriguing despite the fact it is a much better locking diff then we had back then.

I too thought there would be way more traffic and hype surrounding this launch but other than that night and the next day, its been rather quiet other than on the Can-Am specific pages. We have seen this with Polaris model launches as well so its not anything new, reality is, we are all still very spoiled in this sport due to the progression that took place between 2011-2016.

One thing is for sure, Polaris needs to move fast if they want to keep not only their dominant share of the market, but to also retain their edge which has certainly been dulled due to the recalls. BUT, based on what I know, they aren't settling, there is new stuff on the horizon and I think we will soon see this battle amongst the two largest players in the market once again fire back up.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
My comment was tongue and cheek.

The Can Am faithful are certainly excited about the RC edition X-3. I too am baffled why it took Can Am so long to offer a locking front diff.

I am not sure why Can Am bothered jumping into the 50" market.

The X-3 is a great SXS and the 72" model from the factory is awesome. All my friends that own one love them.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeyD23

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I hope Polaris fires back sooner rather then later...I am getting antsy

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
From what I've been told and weather it's true or not I have no idea. But Polaris has problems with the recall that needs to satisfy the Government that the safety of the consumer has been met before any new products are going forward. So if that's true it might be a long wait cause satisfying the government will be a tough one. Like I said I don't know if that's true but if it is it might be a hard deal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000