RZR RS1 Class?

robin hood

Feb 21, 2016
Is the new RS1 being allowed to race with the 2 seat and 4 seat RZR in BITD and Score?

Last edited:

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
It should be allowed.....thats a question for Cory. If the Can Am turbo is any precedent when it was allowed mid season to compete against the NA cars then I don't see why the RS1 would not be allowed. I suppose they could change the rules to require a co driver or is that already a rule?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
So I asked Cory and he said no that the rules require a co-driver. He said there is going to be a RS1 class with its own rules for 2019. I asked if any of the build specifications have been decided and his answer was no. So a Can Am sponsored driver making the rules for a Polaris only class....was the same Can Am driver that allowed the turbo to race in the all NA class midseason but there was no conflict of interest then.

The RS1 is a Production model NA class car since its manufactured and sold as a single seat. All other SXS Production models are sold with two seats so they run as two seats same as the Can Am turbo ran with a turbo because it was manufactured with one. How is this any different?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
So I asked Cory and he said no that the rules require a co-driver. He said there is going to be a RS1 class with its own rules for 2019. I asked if any of the build specifications have been decided and his answer was no. So a Can Am sponsored driver making the rules for a Polaris only class....was the same Can Am driver that allowed the turbo to race in the all NA class midseason but there was no conflict of interest then.

The RS1 is a Production model NA class car since its manufactured and sold as a single seat. All other SXS Production models are sold with two seats so they run as two seats same as the Can Am turbo ran with a turbo because it was manufactured with one. How is this any different?
I would argue that the RS1 should be allowed to race in the NA class also. I mean, single seat cars race in Class 1, and single seat vehicles have been raced in the desert for years in other classes including Jim Beaver in a TT. Grant it, C1 and TT are unlimited classes but still. I get that the weight of the RS1 would / should be significantly lower but there are other variables that also put it at a massive disadvantage. Creating a separate class for a couple of these to compete together as I don't see a huge influx of them lining up to compete in desert, to me is counterproductive. BUT, we all have to respect the chain of command. We don't have to like it, but there are processes to argue against it. My take is, unless you are planning to race one, then arguments such as mine as a guy who has no intention to race one are useless...

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I would argue that the RS1 should be allowed to race in the NA class also. I mean, single seat cars race in Class 1, and single seat vehicles have been raced in the desert for years in other classes including Jim Beaver in a TT. Grant it, C1 and TT are unlimited classes but still. I get that the weight of the RS1 would / should be significantly lower but there are other variables that also put it at a massive disadvantage. Creating a separate class for a couple of these to compete together as I don't see a huge influx of them lining up to compete in desert, to me is counterproductive. BUT, we all have to respect the chain of command. We don't have to like it, but there are processes to argue against it. My take is, unless you are planning to race one, then arguments such as mine as a guy who has no intention to race one are useless...
1-2 1600 isnt unlimited, nor is C10. I cant be certain but i think the green army car that we had beef with at V2R a couple of years ago was a single seat 10 car.

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I was seriously considering to race one next yr but not in its own class. The weight is overstated imo. Currently there are a wide range of weights among the two seat and 4 seat Rzrs, Yamaha, and XX coming up. There is as much as 300lbs or more after race built. On paper it’s 29 lbs lighter than XP 1000 but the biggest weight saving is however much the co driver weighs. The biggest advantage is engineering geometry and low center of gravity and visibility. Every mfg has its own differences. YZX has the shifter trans and XX more HP.

The biggest disadvantage of RS1 is the fact the driver has to navigate and do any work on the car by himself. That’s not a small thing not to mention small fuel cell.

The disagreement I have with the rule making process is the same conflict of a Can Am sponsored racer making rules that specifically impact Polaris. The email reason I received stated that Polaris gave guidance that the RS1 would be a tremendous advantage and actually be faster than a turbo. On the face its doubtful Polaris made these statements and when asked Polaris stated unaware of any such conversation. The bottom line is the RS1 is being boxed out of Desert racing at BITD. Few will build for such a small class......

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Here is the question and response from BITD about the RS1. If you believe Polaris said this then I have some swamp land to sell you. Every video I've seen of the RS1 vs XP1000 show the cars being neck and neck just as you would expect. Whatever difference there is is up to the driver to leverage. Certainly nothing substantial like the shifter Yamaha or the higher horsepower XX motor not that I believe either of these was/is more than a "perceived" advantage. As we know the Yamaha has not exactly dominated the NA class.

Q: "What is the reasoning that the Polaris RS1 NA UTV must race in its own class?"

A: "After speaking to Polaris about the RS1 vehicle, it was made very clear that they will have a huge advantage to the current NA vehicle due to weight. Polaris also thought that it would be "FASTER THAN THE TURBO" after the safety mods are done because the RS1 doesn't require as much added material."

Maybe it was Can Am speaking about the RS1 vs their Turbo......LOL

So the RS1 is going to have its own class.....unfortunately I doubt there will be more than 1 or 2 cars in it possibly zero. Ironic that BITD considers this car so bad ass that it cannot race with the other NA cars. But as it stands it doesn't look like were going to know at least for next year. Its a sad day when innovation isn't allowed to run the normal course of validation due to preconceived ideas based on erroneous information and simpleton reasoning.

Last edited:

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
BITD desert rule has been in effect since at least 2009 when Dragonfire Racing was trying to race a single seat Teryx. They gave a BS excuse about safety being the reason but single seat C1 and C10 cars have been competing forever. That Teryx had just won the Baja 500 and 1000 and nobody wanted to race against it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000