1st oil change on my xp900

Mar 7, 2012
menifee ca
i am just about to hit my 1st 20hrs on my 2012 razor xp 900... i was just wondering what oil most of you us in your utv's... my manual recommended polaris ps-4 pluse synthetics oil... i like use mobil 1 synthetic on all my vehicles, just dont know if it would be ok to use it for the razor? what oil do you guys run? :)

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
i am just about to hit my 1st 20hrs on my 2012 razor xp 900... i was just wondering what oil most of you us in your utv's... my manual recommended polaris ps-4 pluse synthetics oil... i like use mobil 1 synthetic on all my vehicles, just dont know if it would be ok to use it for the razor? what oil do you guys run? :)
I've run Mobil 1 0W-40 in mine for 4,000 happy miles. Also use Fram Toughguard oil filter:D The only Polaris oil I use is the Demand Drive Fluid for the front diff.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
I've run Mobil 1 0W-40 in mine for 4,000 happy miles. Also use Fram Toughguard oil filter:D The only Polaris oil I use is the Demand Drive Fluid for the front diff.

George,

What's the number on the tough guard,
PH6017A ? Is it interchangeable between engines/years?

Thanks!!!!

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
O.k. For everyone else's benefit, I shagged this off RZR Forums after a Google search. I think it's a good reference for us motor-heads... Compliments of Bagman... (Thanks Tim)

Rocketman....

Here's a list of oils and filters I stole from somewhere.

Oil filters:
Napa Oil Filter #1357
Purolator Pure One part number is PL14610
Mobil-1 M1-110 (~$11)
Bosch 3323 (~$7)
SuperTech (Wal-Mart brand) ST7317
Fram XG7317 or tg7317
Amsoil filter # ?

Fluids:

Engine:
Polaris 0W-40 Premium Synthetic

Thanks for this

= (any good 0w-40w synthetic motor oil)
MOBIL 1, ROYAL PURPULE, AMSOIL ETC.

Transmission and Transfer case:
Polaris Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant (AGL) part #2873602

= Amsoil Series 2000 synthetic chaincase lubricant (TCC)

The following May not be equivalent to Polaris brand but has been used with no reported issues.
= Synthetic ATF
= Lucas semi-synthetic ATF sure shift

Rear differential:
Polaris Premium ATV Angle Drive Fluid part #2871653

= Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (SVG)
= Red line Line Synthetic 75/90
= Lucas 75-90
= Mobil 1 synthetic 75/90

Front differential:
Polaris Premium Demand Drive Fluid LT part # 2871651 6oz / 2871654 1qt

= Amsoil Shock Therapy #5 Light (STL)

The following is not equivalent to Polaris but used by others. The claim is the front hilliard’s front diff requires a thin hydraulic type fluid? Some claim this is why thier diff went out. Others claim no problem user be ware

= Lucas 75-90

Lube Propeler shaft
Polaris Premium U-joint Libe part # 2871551

= ?

Lube Control arm Pivot Bushings FT/RR
Polaris Premium All Season Grease part# 2871423

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA

George,

What's the number on the tough guard,
PH6017A ? Is it interchangeable between engines/years?

Thanks!!!!
I see you found the answer:D Sorry I didn't respond quicker, I was installing some new goodies on the RV:D
I know all of the 800's are the same as far as the filter but I'm not sure about the 900's:confused:

TNT

Banned Por Vida
Nov 23, 2011
So Cal
First off, per manual maintenance schedule the first oil change is not required until 50 hrs it be a waste of money @ 20 your still in what PoPo considers the ‘break in period’ first 25 hrs. If you broke it in per the manual, most that have changed @ 50 sees very little engine FOD on their magnetic plug or dirt, these things have good filtration and sythetics last far longer than 20hrs. To answer your question, according to the owner’s manual is not ok to use anything but PS4 for warrantee. I use PS4 Extreme, here in Cali it can handle higher temps in hot dry summer rides, and I file prove of purchase. You can run other oils and run the risk if you’re motor fails the oil attributed to the cause which is unlikely, but Popo be glad to argue say it did pay less in repairs, and you’d have no leg to stand on. Your only recourse then would be to hire an attorney which is not worth your time and expense.

If your looking for billions of opinions on a subject, start a “which oil you use or is best” thread. You can find them on any website that deals with motors. If you get right down to the chemistry, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, etc, only a Petro-Chem Engineer or scientist knows. On the other hand if you have good experience with a brand use if there is no warrantee, but be aware that motors and results can vary. :D

Last edited:

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I highly, highly recommend the new Pure Polaris PS-4 Plus EXTREME DUTY oil. It far exceeds auto oil, including Mobil 1. The maker of the Polaris oil also is a blender for Mobil 1 and they have tested both. Remember auto oil is designed primarily for fuel economy these days. We run our RZR's at 8700 RPM all day long and I don't know anybody who runs their car like that and car's oil isn't designed for that. The new PS-4 Extreme Duty oil is a 5W-50 so it can handle cold starts and 100 degree plus temps.

My two pesos!

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Just to clairify a couple things for the RZR owners (I have the Amsoil equivalent product codes)...

RZR/RZR S/RZR 4
Engine uses 40 weight ATV oil, no friction modifiers (Amsoil AFF or MCF)
Main Gearcase & transfer case uses chaincase oil (Amsoil TCC)
Front Diff need a Mobil 424 or LT or equivalent (Amsoil ATH same as a Teryx rear diff)
Rear Diff is standard 75W-90 gear oil (Amsoil SVG)

RZR XP
Engine uses 40 weight ATV oil (no friction modifiers), I recommend 10W-40 (Amsoil MFC)
Main Gearcase chaincase oil (Amsoil TCC)
Front Diff needs a Mobil 424 or LT or equivalent (Amsoil ATH same as a Teryx rear diff)

Both machines use the same oil filter as a Rhino/Teryx WIX 51358 is a great one and the Amsoil equivalent is EAOM103

Polaris decoder ring:

AGL = chaincase lube
DD+ = Mobil 242/LT hydraulic tractor oil
ATV Angle drive = 75W-90 gear oil

DO NOT PUT SHOCK FLUID INTO THE FRONT DIFF!! Not sure where that came from but Hilliard calls out Mobil 424 (Hydraulic/Tractor fluid) or Mobil LT (light transmission fluid). In any case, the Amsoil ATH meets Mobil 424 spec.
Hope this helps!

Bumpers

Jan 23, 2012
O.k. For everyone else's benefit, I shagged this off RZR Forums after a Google search. I think it's a good reference for us motor-heads... Compliments of Bagman... (Thanks Tim)

Rocketman....

Here's a list of oils and filters I stole from somewhere.

Oil filters:
Napa Oil Filter #1357
Purolator Pure One part number is PL14610
Mobil-1 M1-110 (~$11)
Bosch 3323 (~$7)
SuperTech (Wal-Mart brand) ST7317
Fram XG7317 or tg7317
Amsoil filter # ?

Fluids:

Engine:
Polaris 0W-40 Premium Synthetic

Thanks for this

= (any good 0w-40w synthetic motor oil)
MOBIL 1, ROYAL PURPULE, AMSOIL ETC.

Transmission and Transfer case:
Polaris Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant (AGL) part #2873602

= Amsoil Series 2000 synthetic chaincase lubricant (TCC)

The following May not be equivalent to Polaris brand but has been used with no reported issues.
= Synthetic ATF
= Lucas semi-synthetic ATF sure shift

Rear differential:
Polaris Premium ATV Angle Drive Fluid part #2871653

= Lucas 75-90

Front differential:
Polaris Premium Demand Drive Fluid LT part # 2871651 6oz / 2871654 1qt

= Amsoil Shock Therapy #5 Light (STL)

The following is not equivalent to Polaris but used by others. The claim is the front hilliard’s front diff requires a thin hydraulic type fluid? Some claim this is why thier diff went out. Others claim no problem user be ware

= Lucas 75-90

Lube Propeler shaft
Polaris Premium U-joint Libe part # 2871551

= ?

Lube Control arm Pivot Bushings FT/RR
Polaris Premium All Season Grease part# 2871423
oil filters the same for a 13 900?

Apr 6, 2013
does a rzr use wet clutch oil? like JASO MA cert ?

because if it does, you guys could use Rotella T and might be cheaper than Polaris oil...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000