2011 Polaris RZR XP Media Event

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
By Jon Crowley, UTVGuide.net

I was fortunate enough to be invited by Polaris Industries to Phoenix, Arizona for the media introduction of the hottest UTV to hit the market for 2011. First thing I did after getting the invite is call my buddy Joey D to see if he wanted to tag along. :D

The 2011 Polaris RZR XP 900 was just revealed on January 1, 2011 and the chance to check out new model during a mid-year model year is pretty awesome.
Like most sport UTV junkies, I was glued to the computer on New Year's Eve when Polaris revealed the RZR XP. I had my suspicions that Polaris would step the bar up from the RZR S, but did not know for sure what they would come up with. After devouring all the images, specs and videos, that night and into the next few weeks, I got more and more excited about this new sport UTV and could not wait to get behind the wheel.

Fast forward a few long weeks, and I was on a plane to Phoenix to meet up with other editors. When I arrived at the hotel, I was pretty stoked to see the parking lot and hotel entrance lined with Polaris RZRs and RANGERs, Polaris banners and Victory motorcycles. Wow! Polaris looked like they completely took over the hotel.

The next morning, we all boarded a bus for the Boulders OHV Area north of Phoenix. The terrain here is good to really get a feeling for a UTV under real life situations. Tight corners, big whoops, sand washes, some nice hills and some ugly g-outs.

I hooked up with Joey and jumped into the RZR XP for some fun. We first did a long 10 mile or so loop around the Boulders OHV area. Joey was driving, but I could tell right way the XP was going to be a big hit.

The first thing you notice is the sound coming from the exhaust. It isn't at all like the 800 RZR engine. It has a much deeper tone, and you can tell there is some business growling in the 875cc engine. The ProStar twin EFI engine was a clean slate design for Polaris. It was designed specifically for the XP. Let me tell you, it is very impressive. Not only from the specs, but the way it sets you back in your seat. The combination of lighter overall vehicle weight and class leading horsepower make the XP the quickest UTV on the market. The throttle response is awesome and although we did not have a long flat road to test top speed, I can easily see the XP hitting 70 mph.

After you recover from figuring out the power potential of the RZR XP, the next thing you notice is the awesome out of the box suspension. The XP features Fox 2.0 shocks with high and low speed compression adjustment on all corners. Then Polaris made the front a-arms 2 inches wider on each side than the RZR S for 13.5" of suspension travel. Then the biggest feature is the all new 3 link trailing arm suspension. With 14" of wheel travel in the rear, the XP can really soak up any terrain you dish out. We did not change the adjustments of the shocks from the factory, but if I was going to spend more time in a desert setting like Boulders OHV area, I would soften up the low speed compression. Easy to do with just a few clicks. The race inspired rear suspension is engineered so the tires can lean into the turns to keep more of the tire contact patch on the ground. Joey and I hit a few g-outs that would have really hurt in other UTVs, but we were both pleasantly surprised how well the XP soaked them up. For me, it inspires confidence in the way I want to drive. I don't have to cringe when I see something ugly appear when there isn't much time to react.

The RZR XP feels right at home for RZR S owners. The cockpit is pretty identical to the 2011 RZR S. The low seating arrangement afforded by the patented behind-the-seat engine placement makes the RZR XP feel like a slot car on steroids. The car never felt like we were even close to being on two wheels.

Power, Suspension and low center of gravity make the RZR XP extremely agile. Polaris has once again bested itself and has shown that they listen to enthusiast and react accordingly. Very refreshing to see a company be so nimble.

I cannot wait to get behind the wheel of a RZR XP again....

Joey covered lots of action shots so I won't bore you with the same images. Instead I will dive into a few nuggets that I found interesting.

PURE Polaris trailing arm guards will be available at your dealer.

Integrated Oil Cooler

Dual 46mm Throttle Bodies

750W stator - 500W at idle!

Sprague Carrier: Pre-2011 on left (plastic), 2011 RZR in middle (zinc) and New Billet Sprague Carrier for RZR XP on right

Many 2011 RZR accessories like this overhead SSV Works audio system bolt right on to the RZR XP

ProStar 900 twin efi puts down 100HP/L - highest ratio in the industry

Resonator air intake box reduces intake noise and stores air for quick throttle response

I have a bunch more pictures of the cut-away ProStar 900 on my RZR XP trip report.

Goodtimes

Jan 17, 2009
Ramona
Great stuff Jon !!!

I just put one of these units in our after market cage thursday , i was pretty impressed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000