Arctic Cat 2012 UTVUnderground Arctic Cat Wildcat LONG TERM REVIEW

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Our WILDCAT is Here! Equipped with Custom ProLineWraps.com Graphics!​

Well here we go! We got our brand new 2012 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000 H.O. in the other day and took it strait to our friends at ProLine Wraps-The Leader in Digital Graphics to get that custom look! They did a killer job enhancing the styling of the Wildcat while giving it a one of a kind look for UTVUnderground! These kits are available to purchase for your Wildcat, you can also have a custom one done as well! ProLineWraps.com kits are easy to install and really transform the look of the wrap.

Right off the bat we are pumped to have this Wildcat in our stable. We are taking her strait out to Ocotillo Wells, CA to break her in on a long run from OW to Plaster City for the HDRA Imperial 250 Race. Should be a great way to run her hard and see how she does strait out the box.

Only negative we have seen thus far is we noticed the metallic black automotive paint peeling in one area. Not a huge deal but something I could see a paying customer be concerned about. Other than that she looks ready to rock!

Stay tuned for much more from this long term review. We will be building this beast up with parts that anyone could install in their own garage! It should be a lot of fun.

To get caught up on the Wildcat and all it specs visit our initial test thread here: http://www.utvunderground.com/f38/2...est-review-utvunderground-exclusive-7885.html

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
That's it, I am cutting you out of my Christmas list. Just how many utv's are in your stable?

If you ever need a test pilot, holla at me.

MouseTrap

Jan 18, 2012
IL
Very cool wrap!!! I just traded in one of the 2 Commander X models for a new Wildcat. Love it so far! Can't wait to hear what you think of it...

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Well, we broke our kitty in this past weekend and as expected she did not disappoint!

We took off on a early morning day ride from Ocotillo Wells, CA through the desert to the Superstition Mountains. The run there was fast, full of whoops and high speed turns. It was here that the Wildcat showed its true power and advantages over any other UTV. The 17" of front and 18" of rear wheel travel shined as we plowed through whoops like they weren't even there. The few times we got all 4 wheels off the ground the Wildcat flew nose high and landed as if we were dampened by pillows. I hadn't even touched the adjustments available to us via the 2.0 Walker Evans Racing coil over shocks. Only a few times did I ever feel the rear of the Wildcat ever fully compress and that was through some harsh and deep g-outs. Overall the suspension was everything it was supposed to be and more. It was easy to see that through the large bumps the Wildcat's suspension was superior to the RZR's that were on the ride with us.

Once we got to Superstition we played around in the canyons and dunes the area has to offer. Here was where I experienced my real only let down with the Wildcat which was in the sand. In the hardpack the Wildcat seems to operate with ease and dominance but in the softer sands and dunes the Wildcat seemed to lose its head of steam. To Arctic Cat's credit they made it clear to me that this is not a dune machine, they built the Wildcat for extreme terrain but I would be lying if I said I wasn't just a little bummed on how it performed on the longer dune hill climbs. As we made our way through Superstition we were able to throw a little rock crawling into the ride and once again the kitty came alive. In the rocks where suspension travel and articulation help the Wildcat once again excelled. Off camber rock obstacles, drop offs and steep descents were no match for the Wildcat. Tires stayed firmly planted and traction and power were awesome. At one point I was 3 wheels in sand with 1 front tire gripping a rock, I kept the peddle matted in 4wd low/locked and the traction from that one corner was enough to pull me up and over. At that point I was fully impressed with the Wildcat's rock climbing abilities.

From Superstition we headed back on out to the high speed desert terrain of the Imperial Valley and raced to Plaster City where we could catch some of the HDRA Imperial 250 race that was taking place. Through the desert we encountered washes and whoop sections that allowed the big cat to eat!! The Wildcat took everything I threw at it plus more, giving me as a driver more and more confidence as the day went on. At times we reached the rev limited top speed of 73mph and held it there for miles at a time. Never once did the machine feel loose or unstable. The power steering even at high speeds kept the machine tracking strait with little effort.

Our day concluded with a balls out 40 mile + run back to Ocotillo Wells. Flat graded roads, whooped out trails, mud hill switchbacks, and fast sandy washes made the run back to the base camp the funnest of the day. We diced back and forth with the UTVUnderground.com RZR4 XP900 all the way back making the ride feel more like a race! I can't wait to get the Wildcat back out to the desert to play some more!!

Positives:
Suspension
Top End
Handling
Shocks
Power Steering
Comfort
Ergonomics

Negatives:
Clutching in Sand
Braking at Speed
NO ROOF! I need a roof! hahah

Thank you to all the guys who came out to ride with us. It was a really fun time! Can't wait to do it all over again! Big thank you to Arctic Cat for hooking us up with this awesome UTV! Also to ProLine Wraps-The Leader in Digital Graphics for making us look good!

Last edited:

OFFROADSWAPMEET

Aug 5, 2009
TEMECULA
That wrap is pretty sweet by Pro Line Wraps. The WildCat is going to be put to work and a proven machine in hard pack.For long desert rides a extra drive BELT is a must.

Arctic cat is moving up in the UTV world.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I am not sure the belts are any worse than any other UTV. I think in super soft sand you will burn it up maybe quicker then some UTV's and if used in the extreme rock crawling type trails then maybe so. But in average to extreme hard desert or trail runs it will be fine. Only time will tell as we use it more. So far so good!

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I think the belt rumor comes from the rzr site. I have yet to find anyone that is really having trouble with a belt on the Wildcat (anymore than they would have on a RZR or Can Am).
I know a guy that claimed he saw the prototypes in Idaho on dunes and they were having problems with belts, but that was last year and prototypes.
So it'll be good to see the belt rumor dispelled.

Joey, what did you mean about "Breaking at Speed" in the negatives column? Braking at Speed?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Sorry that was a Typo, I means BRAKING at speed, lol the vehicle did not BREAK! lol

What I meant was the breaks do not stop you like you would want when you are traveling at speed. You have to practically stand on the pedal to get them to lock up. At times I want to set the turn up by stomping the break to put it into a slide. Doesn't always work that way with this set up. BUT, its not the end of the world.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Sorry that was a Typo, I means BRAKING at speed, lol the vehicle did not BREAK! lol

What I meant was the breaks do not stop you like you would want when you are traveling at speed. You have to practically stand on the pedal to get them to lock up. At times I want to set the turn up by stomping the break to put it into a slide. Doesn't always work that way with this set up. BUT, its not the end of the world.

Cool, thanks. I agree, it is nice to lock the tires up at times to set up a slide.
Glad you are putting it thru the paces and keeping us informed...thanks.

RangerBurger

Jan 23, 2011
Humboldt County
Joey,
Have you gotten to run it with paddles in the sand yet? Just wondering if that will make all the difference. Seems the sand is it's one weakness. Suspension sounds incredible though. Great pics and story as always.:D

socaldmax

Aug 9, 2011
Nice write up!

I have a black Wildcat, love it! They actually have a few issues with them.

1. The stock clutch setup is a wet clutch on the crank, with a dry CVT clutch primary and secondary, just like the Rhinos had. There are 2 drawbacks to this: the stock wet clutch can't take a lot more power (like a turbo) without seriously beefing it up. They can mod the wet clutch to lock up with brass slugs in it so it engages fully and will not slip. The other drawback is it adds 15 lbs of rotating mass on hte end of the crank, which severely limits how fast the engine can rev. 15 lbs of rotating mass is a big deal on a big block engine, imagine how much it slows a 951 cc engine!

Another option is a wet clutch delete kit. I think they're very close to a bulletproof design, which will take off about 8 lbs of that mass and directly connect the crank to the CVT.

2. The primary CVT clutch does not downshift properly under load. The engine torque peak is at 6800 rpm, but the CVT clutch doesn't let the engine get there unless doing a long flat stretch. On a steep hill, the engine lugs down, drops way out of the powerband and appears to give up. The problem lies in the clutch, which has no helix, springs and weights, so it can't be retuned. It can be replaced with a CVTech clutch and that problem can be solved.

3. The stock tires have extremely soft sidewalls and very prone to pinching against the rim. The fact that you didn't flatten all 4 tires is a testament to your ability to not hit anything! Most owners ripped a gash in 1 or 2 tires the first trip! I ripped 2 gashes in one of my rear tires (even though I pumped them up to 25 psi) on easy trails at Corral Canyon. I'm only using them in the sand in Glamis for now, until I get some good paddles.

4. There are some QC problems, like they rushed to build them. Mine had a lot of loose hose clamps, like all but 2 of them. This resulted in a minor oil leak at the cooler up front, and a little bigger oil leak at the engine. Lots of others have reported missing or pinched valve cover gaskets, pinched oil lines at the cooler and loose or missing bolts all over. A couple of people have reported blowing CV joints, and one or 2 have had electrical connectors that weren't plugged in. My glove box door wouldn't stay shut, which is also a common problem. I ended up installing magnetic latches on it, looks stock.

5. A few people have blown belts, mine blew at 109 mi, but it was my fault. I installed Sedona Ripsaw tires on ITP beadlocks, which is 55 lb per tire/wheel on the rear. We went duning in Glamis with 2 people in it, and tried to go up a really steep hill about 5 or 6 times. We finally made it up but by then, the belt was overheated and failed in the next dune over. The good news is it only takes a T30 Torx bit, phillips screwdriver and about 30 minutes to change the belt the first time. After that, it's going to be a 15 minute job, but now that I switched tires back I should get a lot longer life out of the belt (hopefully 2,000 mi +).

6. The Wildcat was advertised in early videos as having twin throttle bodies and 95 hp. For some reason (probably attorneys worried about liablilty) they scaled way back on that by the time the demo rides came along. The Wildcat is about 2 hp less than an XP on a dyno, but it's much slower to rev due to the 15 lb wet clutch assembly, so it seems even lower on power. The engine comes with 1 50mm throttle body (plenty big enough) but a very restrictive exhaust (28 lbs!!), retarded ignition timing, low compression pistons, small vales and a fairly small cam. This means that when Speedwerx, Trinity, Benchmark, etc start shipping their big valved, ported heads, big cams, 11.1:1 CR piston kits and big bore kits (1100 cc already advertised) these things are going to make some very good power (I'm guessing 1100cc with 12.1:1 on E85 with a good cam will make 100-115hp) which will be a huge step up from the 60-62.5 hp they currently make on the dyno.

With some mild clutching changes and a stock engine, they do 83 on asphalt. With a WCD kit and major clutch work and stock engine, one has reportedly gone 96 mph. That's about 25 mph faster than I want to be going if I wreck one! LOL

They have a full tube frame, which is a blessing if you have a tendency to wreck hard.

The brakes actually work great if they get burnished as instructed by the owner's manual. It takes 20 or 30 stops from 30 mph to 0 to burnish the pads to the rotors, then the brakes start to work well. Otherwise, they don't seem to work very well at all.

As for ride quality and handling through the whoops, it's closer to a big buggy than a UTV. I have a 2500 lb 4 seater with 20" of travel that does 75 -85mph through the whoops in Glamis. This one does 60-65 through those same whoops and rides slightly better than the front seat of my rail. The driver and passenger sit right in the Center of Gravity (pivot point) of the Wildcat. As the front end or rear end moves, the driver and passenger don't really move up and down, they rock slightly front and back. This gives a very smooth ride, even when at the limits of the suspension.

My 4 seater gives the same sensation in the rear seat (where the C of G is) but the driver and front passenger actually bounce up and down a bit since they are much closer to the front tires and travel in an arc with the front end.

Overall, I don't have as much dirt/desert trail time in it as Joey does, but I'm looking forward to going on a lot of great trail riding/exploration trips all over UT, CA and AZ with it!

Reactions: 1 person

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Well we completed our PCI Race Radio install today in our 2012 Arctic Cat Wildcat. PCI sent us their new Wildcat KIT that consists of the following:

Installation was a breeze and the system came complete as promised. I did my best to take some images to give you an idea of the installation but forgot my good camera so just used my iPhone.

PCI provides everything you need to make this installation easy. It did not come with instructions but it was very simple to figure out. The mounting bracket was cut perfectly and all holes lined up as they should.

Instead of cutting the console and instead of losing my access to the 12v accessory plug I did the next best thing. After removing all of the torq head screws I was able to reach behind and loosen the lock nut holding the 12v plug in place. I decided to remove it and use the hole as my access port for all my wiring. I would then drill a hole in the passenger side kick panel (console side) and re-locate the plug so that we could still use it to charge a phone or whatever we needed it for. It worked out perfectly! Do note, the main wiring harness runs inside of that panel so be careful when drilling. I just about ruined the harness! lol

This is what it will look like when complete. I used a Uni-Bit to drill it to the perfect size! I re-installed the wiring and lock nut and it was DONE!

The center console was easy to get unbolted so that you could move it around some. Be carful when taking the rubber boot off around the shifter as I did something that doesn't allow it to go back on as neatly as it did before. I will need to tackle this another day. Not a huge deal at all. The battery box is in between the driver and passenger in case you didn't know that. I didn't realize that until I pulled out the owners manual! All of the wiring ran from the 12v accessory hole all the way along the main harness to the battery. Super simple!!!

Before I tackled the install of the system I went ahead and prepped it all on the bench. You will have some access cables that need to be tied up . There is enough room between the radios and console to stash these wires.

Since I don't have a roof I decided to mount the antenna to the factory whip tab located on the Wildcat chassis just above the passenger. This was a perfect fit for the antenna base to mount too! I ran the cable down the roll bar and then tucked it behind the plastic behind the passenger seat. I ran the cable from there down and into the center console and up to the 12v accessory access hole. Again, SUPER easy!

I installed the driver push to talk (PTT) on the steering wheel using the supplied velcro mount. For the passenger I decided to drill a hole into the blank switch location in front of the shifter. This worked out perfect! Be careful and take your time as to not ruin the blank plate.

After a couple of zip ties on the cables running through the console I wire the radio and intercom to the battery and then put all the bolts back into the console except for the 2 that you use to mount the PCI bracket too. Once I tucked all the cables behind I was able to line up the holes and mount it into place. I did this all by myself with minimal tools!

The system looks and works great. We tested everything and its clear as could be!

Can't wait to try it in the desert!!

Thank you to PCI Race Radios for the awesome deal on the system! Arctic Cat for the amazing machine and Magnum Offroad for letting us use the shop to install!!

More info on the kit can be found here: http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=-6068970316632260351

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000