2018 BITD Vegas To Reno UTV UPDATES.. Anyone care?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
So what happened to this forum? Its sad you have to reference “The Good Old Days” meaning that it’s dead, which it is?? I have my opinion, but there has to more to it?

Also no mention of what I consider the biggest story in the UTV segment of the V2R?? Ray Bullock wins the Pro N/A class in a virtually stock Textron WildcatXX. Stock cage with stock suspension. He beat second place by 18 minutes. I believe Ray also started last in class?

Looking at the times the only two Wildcats in the race were in the top 4-5 on time at the midway point. But something must of happened as the other Textron showed a DNF?
Yeah Todd, I see a huge change in the content in the desert racing forums. Here, and on RDZT. I think a lot of the camaraderie has been lost, but information is always available through the various social medias outlets (which I use none). IMO, forums like UTVUG and Racedezrt were a better conduit for information and dialogue as ideas and information were all in one place for all to enjoy, or join in. It is a pain in the ass having to go to 3 or 4 different sites that may require the disclosure or sharing of personal information to become a member in order to get up to speed on things. Therefore, people like myself are somewhat excluded from getting all of what's going on.

In "The Old Days", it was fun stirring the pot, or poking a stick at Ol' Moneybags. Especially when he/they would poke back. During my tenure, I wasn't afraid to say controversial things about or to popular people. The members were a good barometer for fairness. They'd let you know when you stepped out of line. It seems now, that not many people engage others with topics that may be controversial. It's become too PC. I know this site is an information, news, and opinion outlet, but also, it once was a descent source for fun and entertainment. Anytime knuckleheads like myself start slinging around unpopular opinions, the atmosphere becomes excited, and members are compelled to chime in, causing larger and more compelling threads. There is nothing less invigorating than following a thread of good topic matter that is less than one page long, with only 5 or 6 comments.
I hate to say it Joey, but there is a disgusting amount of politeness going around lately. No-one is talking much "smack" anymore. The old days are, well old I guess. I assume you and MM feels this is the model that will better grow your brand, and with the ceiling in the UTV market still yet to be realized, you my friend are in an opportune position.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Yeah Todd, I see a huge change in the content in the desert racing forums. Here, and on RDZT. I think a lot of the camaraderie has been lost, but information is always available through the various social medias outlets (which I use none). IMO, forums like UTVUG and Racedezrt were a better conduit for information and dialogue as ideas and information were all in one place for all to enjoy, or join in. It is a pain in the ass having to go to 3 or 4 different sites that may require the disclosure or sharing of personal information to become a member in order to get up to speed on things. Therefore, people like myself are somewhat excluded from getting all of what's going on.

In "The Old Days", it was fun stirring the pot, or poking a stick at Ol' Moneybags. Especially when he/they would poke back. During my tenure, I wasn't afraid to say controversial things about or to popular people. The members were a good barometer for fairness. They'd let you know when you stepped out of line. It seems now, that not many people engage others with topics that may be controversial. It's become too PC. I know this site is an information, news, and opinion outlet, but also, it once was a descent source for fun and entertainment. Anytime knuckleheads like myself start slinging around unpopular opinions, the atmosphere becomes excited, and members are compelled to chime in, causing larger and more compelling threads. There is nothing less invigorating than following a thread of good topic matter that is less than one page long, with only 5 or 6 comments.
I hate to say it Joey, but there is a disgusting amount of politeness going around lately. No-one is talking much "smack" anymore. The old days are, well old I guess. I assume you and MM feels this is the model that will better grow your brand, and with the ceiling in the UTV market still yet to be realized, you my friend are in an opportune position.
The downfall all started when you quit posting. Lol, seriously though everyone is just in to social media now. I miss they good ole days

Reactions: sand shark

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Sure did not seem like there was much excitement around here for the Vegas to Reno race. Maybe because it was a Friday race.

Most forums are slow as more and more people go to Facebook pages or other sources. Social media kinda works, but the forums are still a better conduit for information in a organized and searchable manner. Much better technical content on forums.

Maybe the new SXSs have gotten so good nobody needs help. I can tell you first hand as a Can Am X3 owner that car needs lots of help. Badassmav would look at the car and his head would be spinning with some of the stupid stuff Can Am did on the X3. I bet Burnett would be winning races if Badassmav was helping him.

Reactions: tatum

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
So what happened to this forum? Its sad you have to reference “The Good Old Days” meaning that it’s dead, which it is?? I have my opinion, but there has to more to it?

Also no mention of what I consider the biggest story in the UTV segment of the V2R?? Ray Bullock wins the Pro N/A class in a virtually stock Textron WildcatXX. Stock cage with stock suspension. He beat second place by 18 minutes. I believe Ray also started last in class?

Looking at the times the only two Wildcats in the race were in the top 4-5 on time at the midway point. But something must of happened as the other Textron showed a DNF?
Pretty cool what Bullock was able to do in his Wildcat XX. From what I read Romero's Wildcat XX had a front suspension failure that took them out. Pretty crazy to think the Wildcat gets a win rather quickly and nobody has figured out how to get the Yamaha YXZ wins with the alleged advantage of no belt.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

The site isn't dead dude. Its slower for sure.. but take a look at our homepage. As for the Wildcat.. I was the first to post it on Social Media and it was past midnight when he finished.. sheesh I bet there were less than 2 UTV media guys who waited up for him and Quintero to finish.. Needless to say, I took Saturday & Sunday off

Last edited:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

The overall reality here is that UTV racing in general is a tiny segment of the industry and I mean TINY. Although many of us, myself included give and have given UTV racing a tremendous amount of publicity and exposure, at the end of the day it takes everyone in the industry as fans, participants, companies, etc to carry the load. I and UTVUG can only do so much.

You are seeing forums like RDC and UTVUG decrease I think for many reasons, but the main one is Social Media. People consume their days with social media thus brands like ours have gravitated to spending more time building those platforms and dispersing content there for a more immediate response and reaction. Whether its the best long term approach or not will remain to be seen.

I remain active here, posting the stories that are on our homepage and chiming in, but the fact is when the racers themselves stopped posting and bantering and the people who are on those teams also stopped or cut back, then the people who came here to read and participate also fell off. All of those discussions are taking place in one form or another via Instagram or Facebook. Its not like they all left and took it to another forum.

The Good Old Days comment was just that. Back in 2009, 10, 11, 12, etc the banter was high here and it was great. But times and social interaction are changing. Its a bummer but it is what it is. This site was the only site where you could go and interact with the best racers and team members and companies involved in the sport on a more consistent and intimate level. Will that ever return? Likely not, unless social media changes somehow. But the excitement and shine of UTV desert racing has worn off a bit. While its still growing, its not as new and exciting as it was or like anything is when its new. I still see plenty of things to be excited about, but if the community doesn't share in that sentiment then there isn't much I can do personally. I do my best to keep the news and info flowing and have remained committed and would love to see it keep rocking and rolling!

As for politeness, I never discouraged debate, rather I encouraged it often and still do. But what made the debate and arguments fun was all of you that created it. Unfortunately, I think all of the racers know that they can't say what they want anymore all the time. Too many people are watching and judging everyone, including me, based on our social media. Its unfortunate but its the new reality.

Reactions: Brian B

G.T.

Jan 15, 2010
Gilroy, CA
I too reminisce of the good old days on the site. While I may not have posted with great frequency, I did read a lot. Multi page threads (of the technical variety, smack talk, or new products) always got my attention. Hell I haven't even updated my profile pic with the Teryx I no longer own (X3 Max XRS owner now). For what its worth please keep the content coming. I do enjoy the shop/build spotlights.

Reactions: JoeyD23

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
The overall reality here is that UTV racing in general is a tiny segment of the industry and I mean TINY. Although many of us, myself included give and have given UTV racing a tremendous amount of publicity and exposure, at the end of the day it takes everyone in the industry as fans, participants, companies, etc to carry the load. I and UTVUG can only do so much.

You are seeing forums like RDC and UTVUG decrease I think for many reasons, but the main one is Social Media. People consume their days with social media thus brands like ours have gravitated to spending more time building those platforms and dispersing content there for a more immediate response and reaction. Whether its the best long term approach or not will remain to be seen.

I remain active here, posting the stories that are on our homepage and chiming in, but the fact is when the racers themselves stopped posting and bantering and the people who are on those teams also stopped or cut back, then the people who came here to read and participate also fell off. All of those discussions are taking place in one form or another via Instagram or Facebook. Its not like they all left and took it to another forum.

The Good Old Days comment was just that. Back in 2009, 10, 11, 12, etc the banter was high here and it was great. But times and social interaction are changing. Its a bummer but it is what it is. This site was the only site where you could go and interact with the best racers and team members and companies involved in the sport on a more consistent and intimate level. Will that ever return? Likely not, unless social media changes somehow. But the excitement and shine of UTV desert racing has worn off a bit. While its still growing, its not as new and exciting as it was or like anything is when its new. I still see plenty of things to be excited about, but if the community doesn't share in that sentiment then there isn't much I can do personally. I do my best to keep the news and info flowing and have remained committed and would love to see it keep rocking and rolling!

As for politeness, I never discouraged debate, rather I encouraged it often and still do. But what made the debate and arguments fun was all of you that created it. Unfortunately, I think all of the racers know that they can't say what they want anymore all the time. Too many people are watching and judging everyone, including me, based on our social media. Its unfortunate but its the new reality.
I don't post much on here anymore because of all the other social media I have to keep up with. But, I do still visit often and I read the content. It's true, you have to be very careful what you say. You never know who is reading! I too miss the "old days" but we can't get them back. Cheers to making "new days" exciting! Keep up the hard work Joey. We are still reading.

Reactions: JoeyD23

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"..information is always available through the various social medias outlets (which I use none). IMO, forums like UTVUG and Racedezrt were a better conduit for information and dialogue as ideas and information were all in one place for all to enjoy, or join in. It is a pain in the ass having to go to 3 or 4 different sites that may require the disclosure or sharing of personal information to become a member in order to get up to speed on things. Therefore, people like myself are somewhat excluded from getting all of what's going on..." .
How does one (rightfully) keep a younger generation who we deeply care for away from what both you and I have refused to participate in (period) for years now for no other reason than they won't learn a God-blessed thing on social media that is of any true value concerning this sport or of their responsibilities and (heaven forbid) general safety in it?

I'm a big believer that the forum concept is dead for but two reasons:
1) The manufacturer's obvious reluctance to have the light of day regularly shown on any product that they produce or effort that they sponsor at the exclusion of the 'mundane' (access issues, safety, our responsibilities as car owners, etc.)...and...
2) The often self-centered/delicate 'snowflake' nature of young people in general today who eagerly applaud ignorance/avoidance of complex issues/discussions as they simply get in the way of having a perpetually good time 'riding' probably the most dangerous youth targeted machines on the planet (ever).

The early atv and later side by side eras were blessed with owners who still remembered who actually came before them and at least a 'concept' of true community and legacy that frankly never materialized in these two closely related sports.

Now we have successive generations possessing not only the attention span of children (why social media skyrocketed) but no idea whatsoever as to the hows or whys of passing anything of consequence down to anyone including their own.

Thanks for (again) admitting that you don't participate. I wish that I could point to more who didn't as such a needed movement would force meaningful and sorely needed discussions to be had elsewhere before more pay a steep price for relying on social media (period).

Last edited:

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
The HTM trails opened (approximately) at the turn of the century.
The dark(est) age of our sport (to date at least) occurred well before social media became a continually bowed head/oblivious-to-the-rest-of-the-world/one way educational 'phone' tool using just as few descriptive characters and (heaven forbid) 'facts' as possible.
The fully predictable extension of this carnage dd not ever fade. It will not ever be attacked or solved in a two thumbed manner on FaceCrack. Every parent allowing their children to partake in same as if it will be or as if their combined 'contribution' (digitally) to the sport should be limited as such(?)...truly is intentionally perverting history so that it will be repeated (God forbid) in their own families for no other reason than expedience/convenience ('fun talk') minus any intellectual discussions whatsoever regarding sporting legacies.

Those of us who witnessed this first hand will never forget it and believe us it will get no better until these discussions are had once again with a much more positive result.

"..According to death certificate data, 250 persons died from ATV crashes occurring in West Virginia during 1999--2006; of these, 215 (86%) were West Virginia residents. For the period of analysis, the average annual ATV-related death rate among West Virginia residents was 1.49 deaths per 100,000 population (Table).

All-Terrain Vehicle Fatalities --- West Virginia, 1999--2006
www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5712a2.htm .."

https://onsafety.cpsc.gov/blog/2018/05/18/cpsc-infographic-atv-deaths-injuries/

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
The problem with the social media platforms is that you have to wade through "fake news" and "specifically designed marketing tactics trying to pose themselves as facts" to get any real information. It is exhausting...

Once you wade through all the nonsense you can find some social media outlets that are still putting out good and useful information and separate them from the "cake decorators and Instagram utv models" of the UTV scene.

One example is shock therapy and their unboxing videos...i think they do a pretty good job of being fair to the product and pointing out some things that your average end user might not know or think about...is it still marketing for their products...yes of course but it is laden with useful information...not straight BS like some others produce.

I still think this is the best forum to ask technical questions and get straight answers on...I also think this is the best forum to get honest race results and facts...plus they still put up all the post race press releases and information from most teams so you can find them all in 1 spot and don't have to search each media outlet for each team to hear the story.

Like most i do miss Badassmav and his insider information bombs he was knowing for dropping on us...

Like Bob Dylan sang....The Times They Are A-Changin...

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Unfortunately, I think all of the racers know that they can't say what they want anymore all the time. Too many people are watching and judging everyone, including me, based on our social media. Its unfortunate but its the new reality.
Many of these racers have been called out (many times) previous for not simply saying what needed to be said regarding (most importantly) current racing events not to mention a whole host of critical topics ranging from (most importantly again) safety to how races should be conducted, sportsmanship, true leadership within the racing community, (etc, etc.).

I find it very interesting after they have all fled to and lovingly embraced the "here's a picture of my car" brain-dead segment of social media that the above reasoning is now being offered for their sudden absence. While this excuse certainly coincides with what has been long written regarding heavily sponsored factory teams and the often resulting perversion involving long under-appreciated racing fans it is good for the next generation to see this in print.

It is impossible to convince our kids that they will change the world or even a sport if the price of their silence is always directly proportional to their enjoyment of the ride (in life). Many of us grew up in a generation where this 'reality' was also prevalent yet heavily sprinkled with (frankly) people who fought this notion tooth and nail (veterans come to mind).

Obviously, we have fully transitioned in to: "I'll say and (not) do whatever you would like" era which teaches our children absolutely nothing in terms of reaching full potentials absent corrupting influences.

Sad.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
...by the way, Joey...give yourself a pass for simply allowing what has needed to be said over the years.

There will be no other record of the problems or solutions offered and I would 'like' to believe that the next generation will read this someday and somewhat believe that we were all not selfish bastards only interested in the here and now (which applies to everybody in the sport not willing to speak their mind/act and not just necessarily those with self chosen high profile responsibilities).

Last edited:

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
...I also find it curious (those voices muted to receive sponsorship goodies aside) that racers would gravitate towards social media outlets so shamefully in the news every single day for similar censorship involving every issue or personally held belief out there .

As with exposing kids to this crap it is impossible to dance with the devil without being sucked in to his circle of influence.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
I think it's ASSHOLE's like it's your Legacy who helped kill this site! I cant stand his bullshit!
...or perhaps they all simply left over much more 'sensitive' reasoning

Is this why we now have 'safe spaces' and 'therapy animals' handy wherever contrary opinions are expressed within earshot of our younger generation(s)?

Last edited:

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Example:
A kid and his offroad family all sporting 19?? era well worn atvs or even 3-wheelers comes upon this site looking to be inspired by either the racing scene, a safety (learning) culture or hopefully to research/own something someday even 10 years newer than what is on a snowmobile trailer that has seen better days itself.

Low and behold they run in to guys (the gals seem to know better) with their heads WAAAAAAAAAY up in the air sporting multi hundred thousand dollar rigs acting like...well...we've all been exposed to it.

My question does not relate to what the average Joe/Jill family receives/misses from offroad leadership's unique experiences or refusal(s) to pass down anything resembling a public off road legacy anywhere online but through 'look-at-us!' social-media...but what is passed down to their children beyond the example of simply throwing baubles/swag to the above described members of the off road community whenever their close-knit(?) caravan of fancy rigs pulls in to Anytown USA.

It's all about the kids and it is pretty obvious that there is no plan for anybody's kids when social media is constantly pushed as the end all/be all of their young (impressionable) off road educations.

Sorry, I forgot. We all agreed a long time ago that we don't (won't) publicly teach our off road community kids a single thing in regards to this extremely dangerous sport (period).

Last edited:

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
Bravo Legacy you killed another thread!
...earlier in this thread, any shameful lack of meaningful 'give back' on the part of sponsored elites in the racing world was strictly "social media's fault".
Then Joey suggested that: "..too many people are watching and judging everyone" who are schlepping more than what most (peon) fan's houses are worth down the road.
Now it's my fault for bringing up the simplest of 'grow a set' issues which former posters are (evidently) flat out afraid to dispute due to the threat of (who?) obviously not further reimbursing their sudden silence on this forum.

While the fan realizes that utv racing is not driving sales in any meaningful manner nationwide, this forum has been an interesting insight in to those teams and individuals more than willing to not only give up their basic freedoms ...but rare opportunities to educate while undoubtedly making a positive tangible difference in this sport.

It's a good thing that I have broad shoulders. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000