2700 miles later and finally blew a belt on my XP1000

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
After 2700 miles my belt finally let go this weekend in Glamis. I heard a snap and saw a poof of smoke. Just glad it did not happen when I was going around a big bowl as that could of made it interesting. Just seems in the dunes any break down is always at the bottom of a dune.

Thanks to Simidude and others we were able to get the belt changed and back to our ride. It certainly did not take the 10 minutes that some claim. It was more like 35-45 minutes when you have to get the cords untangled and the belt pieces from the vent housing. LOL!

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
2700 miles on the OEM belt? with 100% factory clutching?

$5 says your primary is toast. we cant find a way to make them last 1000 miles so i am sure your primary is a big aluminum ball of garbage at the moment if you have 2700 miles on it as well.

to get that amount of mileage out of a belt especially running at glamis is amazing.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
the clutch faces arent where they wear. its the pins and rollers in the spyder. when you pull the clutch apart, there are steel rollers that the weights ride on. you can take your finger and flick the rollers and see if they have any up and down play in them. if they have more than .020" slack in them the clutch is about as good as a paper weight when it comes to performance. if you can flick the roller up and down the same thickness as two business cards, then the clutch is on borrowed time. the weights wont roll anymore, they start sliding back and forth which chews the weights up and digs flat spots in the rollers. when this happens your RPM start to lag and lack everywhere. coming out of corners, running the dunes, anywhere you are full throttle you will notice a severe lack in power and performance. these rollers really start to show signs of wear around 500 miles, rarely and i mean very very rarely have i ever seen one make 1000 miles without the rollers being shot. i would suspect at 2700 miles your rollers are worn thru and the weights are dragging on the steel pins and have chewed the face of the weights up. if its not i would be amazed, surprised, and dumbfounded in how you got the one clutch that made it over 1000 miles without being shot. i work on machines every day and i see that clutch you have every day, and i have never seen anyone get the mileage you have without having problems. thats absolutely awesme you made it that far, but if you open the clutch up and really look at it, i suspect its gonna be time for a new one.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Well that was insightful and depressing. Thanks. Lol!

I guess I should pull my clutches now and look.

Simidude on here has over 2000 miles on his xp900 clutches

Reactions: Simi Dude

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
Honestly the 900s weren't as bad as the 1000. The 900s will frequently get 1500 miles out of them before they are toast. But with 2000 miles on a stock primary for him I am sure he's in the same boat. All you gotta do is check it.

Simi Dude

La Familia For Life !!
Feb 25, 2010
Simi Valley Ca.
I guess it's time to give them a look Sand Shark (Noel), I'm a tad over 2,700 mi. and was going to put my new belts on at 3,000. Once a year I pull the covers off and remove the belt, inspect it, blow out the primary and secondary, The plan was to change out the belts this year but they still looked good so I just run them. .......They still seem to haul butt.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Replace the rollers, buttons and bushing in the spider but I'm not sure if it's worth it or just buy a new one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Should not be crazy maintenance on a CVT, unless you ride in a lot of mud and water. I get that parts will wear, but I would hope the clutch is designed for a lot more miles than 2,700 in mind (now has over 2800 miles on it).

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
Dam, I thought AirDam was kidding. Fuked to be a Polaris owner..... ;)

Good luck Noel :)

I bet you feel like you just got sucker punched

ROTAX

CannedHam - La Familia
Feb 21, 2011
LOL, Can Ams don't have shit CVT's like POPO ;)
I got 160 miles on it now and the belt is still GOOD!! LOL
Plus I run it in high gear all the time, even doing 5 mph. I've WOT it for 2 hours uphill in the sand at Pismo and the belt temps never got over 60 degrees. Cant beat the can am turbo.......... I removed the primary so I wouldn't have the POPO problem. It runs good with just a secondary

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000