A Small win for Johnson Valley, can we make it a BIG win?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
See Pictures here: A Small win for Johnson Valley, can we make it a BIG win? | Off Road Press

Last night we had the pleasure of attending the Johnson Valley/ 29 Palms Marine Base Expansion meeting in 29 Palms. I’ll have to be honest my perception walking into this meeting was completely different than when I walked out of the meeting. First of all I was worried that I was late to the meeting because of traffic, but to my luck there was no official presentation but just a Gym full of marines and poster boards with information about the expansion and the options available.

Wile the schedule said the meeting was from 5-9 it is not necessary to be there for the full time frame. If you get out of work late or want to have dinner with the family first you are more than welcome to and come by afterwords. The best way I can describe the event is that it’s similar to an open house and you can come at any time and stay as long as you’d like. The best part of this format is the one on one attention you can get with the Marines about the project. They have people dedicated to each of the stations to answer your questions and explain the different proposals and what it means to the different groups. The good news is that if you take the time to visit the meeting get your questions answered and provide a written statement you will be heard. The Marines have introduced a 6th proposal to taking the land in Johnson Valley based on what they had heard at similar meetings that took place approximately two years ago.

Right now is our opportunity to review the new plan the Marines are presenting along with their additional existing plans over the remaining two meetings that are scheduled and make our recommendations on how they can improve it again before the comment period ends May 26th, 2011.

Plan 6, the newest plan which calls for expansion west into a smaller area of Johnson Valley (146,667 acres) will permanently close a large section (108,530 acres) of the area and also seasonally close a second section (38,137 acres) that encompasses the “hammers.†This section is stated to be only closed two months out of the year for large scale training exercises. What was also interesting to me in this proposal was the way that they were running their training routines. I’m no expert but it seems to me that there is opportunity for them to better utilize the land they already have on the base. The reasoning behind the expansion is so they can complete large multi day training sessions in terrain that best represents that of Afghanistan.

The reasoning in my opinion for moving west into the Johnson Valley area as opposed to other directions is it’s the path of least resistance. The government already owns the land and all they would have to do is transfer it to the marines if they were to go west. However if they were to go east and expand which is option 3 that they outline it would cost considerably more money. The Government would be required to buy private and commercial pieces of property and make additional accommodations for the railroad and major roads through the area. This costing more money. Which brings me to another questions all together, with the state of the economy and inability to balance the budget is the base expansion something that should even be considered at all?

Once you have gathered your thoughts and are ready to make your voice heard there are a few things that you should remember. When writing your responses it is important to remember that it’s not the quality of responses that we send but the quality of the response that we send. The goal here is to alert the Marines as to the questions and concerns that we have by them taking our area and the impact it will have to recreation, local business, and businesses within the industry. The common answer I seemed to get last night in 29 Palms was that they didn’t have all the answers yet. I don’t see how you can lay out a plan and not have all the answers on what will happen when it’s implemented. For example, if plan 6 were to be put in place it would open the “Hammers†area up 10 months out of the year. What they don’t tell you is what 10 months and what you need to do to use it. They say a special recreation permit will be needed but can’t tell you the process to obtain it. Also, they don’t have any procedures set into place on how they will notify users on when the areas will be closed and for how long they will be closed. Also, it seems to me that they don’t work that far in advance so trying to get a schedule years in advance to ensure the longevity of events in the area will be next to impossible.

At the end of the day we need to hold them accountable for their actions and show that the OHV community is not going to give up easy. As a friend of mine recently said, these are Marines we are fighting for our land and the noble thing to do is give them a strong opponent to fight during this battle and for that they will respect us!

On a positive note, Dave Cole from the Ultra 4 Racing Association offered an incentive to get companies and clubs to attend the meetings. He will donate $100 to the charity of choice of the group or club that shows up with the most people. On the first night in 29 palms GenRight Off-Road was out in full force having 8 people from their office in attendance. Impressive considering they drove from Simi Valley to attend. Their 8 made them the largest individual group and they got to pick the charity of their choice for the donation. GenRight gave the money right back to where it matters most and gave it to Cal4 Wheel. On top of that to make the pot better they matched the donation making it $200.00 that was raised for Cal 4 Wheel on Tuesday night! Way to go guys!!!

If you would like to get involved and fight to keep Johnson Valley open to OHV use you can do so very easily. There are two meetings left that you can still attend.

April 13, 2011
Ontario High School Gym
901 W. Francis St.
Ontario, Calif.

April 14, 2011
Hilton Garden Inn
Mirage/Sahara Conference Center
12603 Mariposa Road
Victorville, Calif.

If these two dates don’t work for you, you can visit Land Acquisition/Airspace Establishment Study and fill out a comment form before May 26, 2011.

Thank you for your Support!

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
We have all enjoyed the King of the Hammers race and the fun that goes along with it! Please take a few minutes of your time and let the Marines know why it's important to you so we can keep the tradition alive!

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
Thanks for posting this, it is very helpful info for those that have no idea about the process that is going on.

The KOH is an icon event in the proposed area but family recreation stands to loose a giant portion of what land we have left to recreate.

Please join the cause and be part of the solution! None of us want to say to oursleves someday, "boy I wish I would have said something at the time"

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Joey,

My son Chris and I went to the Victorville presentation last night. While we heard most of the same info as you did, I heard a few other pieces that makes me wonder.

We had >230 people show up when we left with ~2hrs left to go. I talked with the Lt. Col. and a few Capts. and Majs. too.

I commented to each of the individuals I spoke with that I understand we need to train. I know the Marines like to use real ammo too, unlike the Army who simulates and uses laser technology.

This does make some sense in that if one learns to fly a plane on a computer, does not a pilot make. While you get the process down, it's another thing to be headed straight for the ground and there ain't no reset button.

I was adamant that they understand if you take all of the other riding areas they had outlined, their sum of acreage doesn't even sum up to the total of Johnson Valley.

The hammers aside, I asked what they thought would happen when you try to put all of those displaced riders into the other areas. I told them it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out more folks are going to be hurt and killed because of the close proximity and densely populated riding areas.

You can't co-mingle TT's, class 1-10/1600's and families with small quads and vehicles without giving some space.

I also asked what was going to be done if the Hammers event was not able to be held and what was the impact to the local economy, no answer to that question.

Obviously, we are a very small contingent when compared to the Sierra club etc... and if congress sets up a scale and puts National Defense on one side and the Off-road community on the other, I don't even think we'll budge the scale!

That said, I told the Lt. Col. that I didn't hear what the requirements were, and they just gave the "move more troops through, and simultaneous 3 battalion 36-72 hours duration maneuvers."

We'll I'm good to go with that under one condition, they need to open other areas to directly compensate for the amount of land they gobble up. It has to be commensurate with what is lost to allow for the overflow into the other "legal" areas. It seems they just keep taking and not giving back. Someone has to have a pair and stand up to the tree huggers and tell them they can't have everything their way.

One other point I brought up was the cost to "travel" to these other areas. While I'm somewhat more fortunate than others because I live 25mins from Stoddard and Johnson Valley, the cost to get there is considerably less than others. With fuel approaching $5 a gallon, it is going to make it even more of a burden on folks to have to drive another 50-100 mi round trip to enjoy their sport.

I also asked with the vast expanse of desert in the southwest United States, why do they have to use this area. Bottom line is logistics....

I think if they have the need to do this, they should look at other opportunities and move the whole base to somewhere that would better suit there needs. My son also asked what if the War ends? Where's the need to simulate Afghanistan? The response was regardless, they still need to train.

Bottom line, they don't perceive any construction and closing off to happen until probably 2015 with a first training session sometime in 2016.

While I was treated with utmost respect and appreciate the Marines candor, as many of them are also off-roader's, I still felt like the tail of the flea on the tail of the dog, trying to wag the dog.... :D

We also left our comments at the comments booth for what it was worth.

Here's a few pict's from Victorville:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000