Kawasaki Advice on engine

DamStuckagain

Sep 8, 2010
I have a 08 teryx the engine got dirt in it. I was thinking of just replacing the rings and valves. But after reading a thread on here about crate engines from kawasaki (or is there rebuilds out there that would be better?). I'm thinking thats the route to go because I don't have the tools or I guess knowledge to do it. Plus I'm thinking that dirts still going to cause future probelms in the lower end. I'm thinking new engine and a hell of alot better air filter and my probelms solved. Is this good or bad thinking?
My dealer said he would like to purchase my engine what would it be worth?
Thanks for taking the time to help me and Happy riding:)

Reactions: 1 person

odtodd1az

Apr 30, 2009
Glendale AZ
Done right a rebuild is just as good, and more cost effective from a reputable builder. The key is that guy is not the least expensive. You get what you pay for. Polaris, when the rzr's were getting dusted would only warranty the pistons and rings and cylinder barrels, not the entire engine. Look around to find a value on your old engine (Ebay, classifieds) and negotiate with your dealer against the purchase of a new.
It just depends on your wallet.

What on the Kawi intake needs to change to protect from this happening? I just hadn't heard of intake issues on the T rex.

DamStuckagain

Sep 8, 2010
Where are you located ?

There really is no reason your engine can't be rebuilt
I'm located in Iowa. I guess my dealer will never have the time to work on it said there a pain in the a$$ to work on. Thats what I get for buying new and paying cash on the 3 atvs I bought from him. My new dealer said that by the time u rebuild the motor the cost of labor and parts you would be close to new and I figured since I made the mistake of buying it used and not knowing what the guy did in the first 150 miles I would start new, because Ive never touched an engine on anything I've owned before. So I figure I take good care of engines and I start with something I know is good I'll be ok. I think I bought the probelm.Does that make any sense?:)

I looked into rebuilt crate engines and going bigger cc but guy told me it would be hard on all the other parts and won't be happy. I think I would be happier then he!! with it. plus I'm limited on a professial place to do it around here.
Thanks again for the advice and hope to get more. All ideas and comments are greatly appreciated:) Happy riding:)

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
There are plenty of great engine shops that can rebuild your engine as good as new with our without making it a Big Bore. Your problem of being in Iowa is shipping the engine to a East coast builder or a West coast shop.

It all ends up on how much you are willing to spend. If you go the cheap route it could cost you money in the long run. The dirt already injested will cause your engine to die prematurely so don"t think it will be "OK for now".

If it were me I would improve the performance since it needs new parts anyway and the durability shouldn't be compremised unless your choose a cheap shop to do the rebuild and they don't use proven parts.

Everyone is looking for customers these days so get on the horn and start working some options and then make a decision.

When it is all said and done always make sure your filter and intake system is clean and prepped.

jakecarver91

Nov 11, 2009
sounds like your dealer wants to buy your engine, re-build it and make money on the deal, and sell you a new one...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000