Baja 1000 Safety Procedures by Kent Kroeker *MUST READ*

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Kent Kroeker is a good friend, an experienced racer, a war hero and retired Marine Corps Officer. Here is some good advice from a man that I always listen too....

Every year, as the Baja 1000 gets closer, people start talking about safety.

Unlike other forms of racing, Baja racing is statistically much more dangerous for the support crews than for drivers and navigators. In this unique form of racing the entire team shares the risk, so the entire team must be responsible for risk mitigation.

In the threads that precede the Baja 1000, we read lots of posts that basically say, "be careful for this" or "watch out for that." It's great to encourage a proper mindset, but what about processes? What about procedures or rules to follow that create actions that can make us safer? What are the things we should do to be safe? Outside of racing I've participated in some pretty dangerous activities. In everything I've done, strict adherence to procedures has always saved the day.

I would like to take this opportunity to post a document that my team has been evolving for over 20 years. All employees and volunteers on my team knows this stuff by heart. We review it before we depart for Mexico and also refer to it in our morning briefs. It has changed somewhat over time, but the basics have remained.

It's not meant to be a comprehensive list. We have procedures for everything, and many safety-related items aren't included in what I've attached. An example is communication specificity. My team has a way we communicate on the radios that is very precise. An example of this is not using the word, "clear" when it's not clear to pass. We're directive instead of descriptive. We say, "hold your position," vice "not clear" because, due to an improperly-keyed mic or intermittent line-of-sight, the receiver may not hear the "not." Tiny mistakes like this can cause people to die. We also have an extensive medical protocol. We have trained military medics embedded strategically with every chase crew and permanently attached to our helicopter. Our medical protocol is also not included in this document. Additionally, some stuff may be difficult to follow for everyone. We minimize movement by maximizing the use of static pits. Some teams are not large enough to do this, so they have to drive at night.

Bottom line: These are the basics we use for movement, prerun, chase, race and standard expeditionary Baja operations.

Feel free to add what you like or modify what we have. Post if you have other ideas or better ways of doing things. It's meant to be a point of departure, not the Law of the Land.

I hope you find it helpful.

Cheers,

Kent Kroeker

KORE / MILLS MOTORSPORTS SAFETY SOP

1. Leave your ego North of the border.

Know your limitations. Admit when you’re tired. If you’re uncertain about something, ask someone with more experience. Don’t take unnecessary risks.

2. Avoid night driving to the maximum extent possible.

99% of all Baja mayhem occurs at night. When the sun goes down, get off the road.

3. Drive 60 mph maximum anywhere south of Ensenada.

Cows, horses, and drunks are everywhere. Slower speed = greater reaction time.

4. Always travel with two conscious and aware people per vehicle.

This means, the right seat is not sleeping. You need two sets of eyes and ears on road and radios at all times.

5. Always travel in two vehicle pairs.

If one vehicle has a mechanical, the other vehicle can assist. Mobility is life.

6. When driving, expect the worst thing to be right around the next corner.

Be mentally prepared for 5 cows, a semi truck, or a drunk driver in the middle of your lane.

7. Refuel at ½ tank or more.

Don’t expect fuel to be available at every PMEX in every town because it won’t be.

8. Always use the buddy system: Never go anywhere without a partner.

This rule works for SCUBA, warfare, mountain climbing and Baja.

9. Let the team know where you went and when you will return.

This raises your team’s situational awareness. It’s basic accountability.

10. Embed your team with groups.

Camp, pit and stage with others when able.

11. Always keep watch over your vehicles and gear.

Don’t turn your back on your equipment for even a minute. Designate a gear guard if required. If a piece of gear is stolen it could result in more than a monetary loss.

12. Coffee and energy drinks do not substitute for sleep.

Plan for three consecutive nights of uninterrupted sleep before race. This means the entire team. Physiologically, the most important night for sleep is 2 days before the event, not the night before.

13. Thoroughly inspect and sanitize your vehicles daily.

Identify maintenance problems ahead of time. Look for anything that is out of place. A forgotten .22 LR shell casing could get you 10 years in jail. A spare that won’t hold air could cost a race. A damaged steering component could cost you your life.

14. Solve problems without authorities.

No matter what, it will always be your fault. Be discrete when offering to pay.

15. Eat only processed food prior to race.

Entire teams get sick because they ate at a known, “safe restaurant†prior to race. At least three days prior, start eating food that comes from boxes, cans or packages.

16. Respectfully participate at military checkpoints.

Open the door and pay attention to what inspectors do. They plant things and steal things.

17. Keep your passport, money and knife on your body.

If you have to be evacuated or run for it, you’ll still have the most important items on your person.

18. Be friendly but limit small talk with locals.

They may be trying to distract you while something else is happening.

19. Limit the amount of money in your wallet.

If you only have $100 in small bills at one time in your wallet then that’s all you can pay a cop.

20. If it doesn’t look legit, it’s probably not.

Aggressively trust your instincts.

21. Avoid behavior that demonstrates patterns.

Don’t eat, shop, or refuel at the same place at the same time every day.

22. Be respectful and friendly to Mexican people.

Most Mexican people are kind and decent. They can be your greatest assets when things go wrong.

23. Keep your personal gear with you at all times.

If you change to a different chase rig, take your gear with you.

24. During the race, while we are in the fight, help only those in dire need, otherwise drive on.

OUR PRIORITY IS OUR TEAM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000