Best UTV for trails and just riding?

wild wolf productrs

Jul 21, 2011
Looking for something that rides great, goes well on trails and some mud. Not looking for lots of speed, below 50 is faster then I plan on going most times. It will be just my wife and myself on it trail riding with friends. Were all older broke down people just out to enjoy the time on the trail. Not to see who can out run the other .
So looking comfort over what most others want.

Thanks in advance for any info on this that you can help us out with.
Pete

Reactions: 1 person

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
I THINK YOU WOULD BE HAPPY WITH A RHINO. THE POLARIS RANGER IS A VERY CAPABLE MACHINE WITH A BIG PAYLOAD. I PREFER THE RHINO BECAUSE IT IS A LITTLE SPORTIER & YOU SIT LOWER. I HAVE BEEN IN EVERY KIND OF TERRAIN EXCEPT MUD. I KNOW THERE ARE MUDDERS ON HERE THAT HAVE RHINOS. HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN GIVE YOU MORE INFO.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Good question and welcome to the site. In reality any UTV could fill your needs for the most part. I think if I was in your position I would lean towards a more comfortable UTV that is easy to get in and out of. First UTV that comes to mind for me to recommend for you would a Kawasaki Teryx or Yamaha Rhino. These UTV's are extremely reliable and are very easy in and out. You could also consider a Can-Am Commander 800 which has awesome car like ergonomics, good power, and a nice ride. You may also consider a more robust machine like the Polaris Ranger XP800. They are larger, not as sport of a feel as those I previously mentioned but they are very functional and comfortable. They are more utilitarian in terms of design but that doesn't take away the fact that you can motor them in a sporty fashion when you want too. Many members here play with their Rangers and love them!

You have a real open book there in terms of what to choose. I suggest going to a couple dealerships and sitting in a few different UTV's to see what you like best and decide what best fits your needs. Make sure to come back and let us know what you decided on! And feel free to look around in the threads here: UTV Industry News - UTVUnderground.Com - The #1 Resource for SXS Enthusiasts you will find all of our lineup information by manufacturer. Feel free to also use the search feature on the top of the page to look for a more specific product!

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
base machine and good price for your needs,

Kawasaki Teryx EFI and or wait and check out the new 2012 570 Polaris RZR for 9999.00

Rog

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
I'm biased to the Kawasaki Teryx. It's a great machine stock and there is a lot you can do to it to customize it to your needs, if you choose. This is also a great site to learn about all the different UTV manufacturers.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Joey said it wisest, go sit in some of the machines, find one that is comfortable. Even better, see if you can test drive them. Some people like Teryx's, some like Rhinos, some like etc... I can't get comfortable in a Teryx, but another may fit me perfect.

Secondly, decide what kind of riding you will do. Sport riding leans to the RZR/S/XP while work and sport, as well as camp riding often lean to the Teryx, Rhino, Arctic Cat Prowler, Can Am, etc...how fast do you want to go..some machines struggle to hit 50mph, while others love 60+...what kind of terrain...etc...

Third and very important, find a dealer that will support you as the customer. Ask questions about the techs and their training. Talk to others and find out which dealers support the customers best as well as supporting the sport. I've seen mega dealers that carry street bikes, atvs and sxs's, that give 110% to the street guys and shun the dirt guys (they just carry the dirt products because they have to so they can carry the street bikes).

Lots of good machines out there...choose what makes you comfortable and happiest.

wild wolf productrs

Jul 21, 2011
As I posted to start,
Not looking for fast,
More toward the best ride and still handle trails, plus make it through some mud, Never been one to stay in mud but at times the trail leads into mud.
Will be used for play and work, as we use our 4 wheeler now for spraying fence lines and pulling a trailer.
Trails will have hills but not those straight up, guessing on a scale from 1 to 5 most trails will be 3.5 or so. Need room to take a small grill and cooler with us. As we always ride and stop and cook steaks or burgers for the meal.
Wife is 5'10" and I'm 6'1 so that will also come into play.
Would use it to get to and from our shooting range also. Plus winter time riding to hunt. We also ride more in colder weather then hot weather.
Dump bed is nice but not a deal breaker. I'm sure the standard seats will be replaced.
Ease of adding the new light bar for those dark rides back through our pine Thickets to get back home. Its nice to have a few hundred Acres in the back yard to ride on also.

DUNE DUMMY 29

Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
Teryx... Does everything a Rhino does but better. Fits your needs to a T.
I REALLY HAVE NOT HEARD ANY BAD THINGS ABOUT THE TERYX. WHEN MY FRIEND HAD A PROBLEM. KAWI TOOK CARE OF HIM SO I WOULD SAY THE TERYX OR RHINO ARE GOOD CHOICES FOR YOU. BOTH HAVE A LOT OF AFTERMARKET PARTS AVAILABLE. TRY THEM BOTH & SEE WHAT YOU LIKE. THE KAWI HAS MORE POWER BUT I LIKE THE ERGOS & THE DOORS ON THE RHINO.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Another biased opinion here, but I'd go Teryx. If only because it sounds to me like a Rhino or Teryx is the machine that fits your needs. I'd lean to the Teryx as it is slightly wider and the 749 V-Twin has much more torque than the 686 Rhino engine to pull you through the mud.

Both have a huge amount of aftermarket products. Good luck!

wild wolf productrs

Jul 21, 2011
Thanks guys was thinking about the 450 Rhino but looks like they have dropped . Everyone that has one has told me they would not trade theres for the bigger ones. Starts right up without issues and better MPG along with plenty of power for them. but then again there like us not looking for speed or raw power.
Pete

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Cant beat the reliabilty and durability of a Teryx or Rhino.

DUNE DUMMY 29

Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
Thanks guys was thinking about the 450 Rhino but looks like they have dropped . Everyone that has one has told me they would not trade theres for the bigger ones. Starts right up without issues and better MPG along with plenty of power for them. but then again there like us not looking for speed or raw power.
Pete
THE 450s ARE REALLY TORQUEY. MY FRIEND HAS ONE FOR HIS KIDS. IT WORKS GREAT. THE ONLY THING IS THE ENGINE IS A LITTLE NOISEIER THAN THE 660.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Rhino! Hands down the finest UTV on earth! Hasnt changed in 7 years! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000