broken bolt in rzr rear bearing carrier

mochoa

Nov 13, 2011
I went to replace my rear bushings on my bearing carrier since I have heard the stock ones are crap. When I tried to remove the bolt the head broke off. I have tried to hit the crap out of it thinking I couldk push the bolt through but nothing. Bolt is rusted to the sleve. Any ideas? I have tried dipping it wd40 and even vinegar but it will not lossen up the screw. If I have to buy a new bearing carrier then I'll have to just want to see if anyone has any tricks or ideas. Thanks

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
If you heat it up the plastic is going to melt. I would cut the head off the other side and remove it them pry the metal sleeves out or drill it. The bolt is probably rusted in and fat in the center. They only contact the bushing on each end of the bolt. I drilled and tapped zerk fitting in my 800 becuase you can't pack in enough grease.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mochoa

Nov 13, 2011
thanks for the input I tried everything. Heated it, tried to press it with a vise
( don't own a press) , bolt blaster and nothing I did cut the bolt on the other side of the carrier so I could remove the carrier out. Having the same problem with the bottom sleeve too. the bolt came out but the bushings or the sleeve will not come out. Tried.drilling out the bushings with a small bit, burning it and no luck either. I did order a new pair of bushings and sleeves from super saves but need to remove old ones still

mochoa

Nov 13, 2011
also have another question. I ordered super daves bushing and they are self lub. So they do not require grease and supposably the grease atracts dirt or sand. At least was the research I found what do you guys think? Zerks or no zerks?

Ryanmatthew1

Aug 28, 2013
You said you drilled it, but they make a tool u can back broken bolts out easily , they sell at Home Depot lowes and probably your local auto shop

mochoa

Nov 13, 2011
tried it already. The bolt broke flush with the carrier on one side but the other I cut the screw so I could take out the carrier but still had plenty of the thread left. I had the tool sprayed the bolt wih blast let sit over night and nothing. I started to then drill it got pretty far in and nothing either so decided to stop drilling (started getting of center and bit was slipping into carrier)

mochoa

Nov 13, 2011
thanks guys for the help tried everything even taking to a shop and nothing. New one is ordered. Thanks for the input. Advise on grease or no grease is still welcomed.

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
thanks guys for the help tried everything even taking to a shop and nothing. New one is ordered. Thanks for the input. Advise on grease or no grease is still welcomed.
i still say you bring it to the sand show and let us all take a hammer to it. charge a dollar a swing. :eek:

jeff 1930

May 9, 2012
if you take a sawsall or a cut off wheel cut the bolt off between the bearing carrier & the control arm you will cut through the lip of the bushing then you can put the carrier on the bench and drive out the bushing and bolt it takes awhile to do and you need to have a steady hand but it works ive had to do it a couple of times

mochoa

Nov 13, 2011
Hi Jeff,

thanks for the input. That was exactly how I was able to take the carrier off. As for hitting it out I grabbed a hand held sledge hammer and went to town on it. First I tried a socket and then a big punch type tool. Unfortunately i didn't get the same result, first owner of car lived right at the beach so maybe the salt really got to it.

mochoa

Nov 13, 2011
I saw the new one rzrs come with grease fittings on the arms any input on that would help

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Damn wish I seen this earlier I have the part you need used if you need it. Sounds like you ordered a new one?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000