Can-Am Cages and safety for entry level racing

AndrewFromColorado

Jan 4, 2015
I'm looking to reinforce my cage and add harness bars and rock bars adding some doors and all the good stuff. I'm just looking for some insight on some of the more experienced people. Would it be better to just do a new cage and bumpers from the ground up? What's the pros and cons of fixed doors vs opening? And what other things may I want to do while I'm into this project.? It's a 14 maverick max xrs.

suicidejockey

LooseCannonUTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 13, 2009
Heber City, UT
A lot of it depends on the series you race. Most of the bigger series require cages welded to the frame, fixed, full height doors, v bars etc... You can Never be to safe when building a cage

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Depends upon your series. But A well designed (aka triangulated) cage, even if a bolt it is better than a stock cage with reinforcements.. Rock bars are good., as is a metal roof. Doors - fixed can be a pita to crawl over, and worse when working in the motor / clutch. Double locks are a must.
As for saftey - our last cage was 1.75x.120 DOM for the main tunes - considered to be way overkill by many- until a racing incident and it bent to zhit.
Mavs have a big open A pillar - a weak spot. No aftermarket builder (yet) has a bolt in cage with a A pillar brace or intergal / opening door bars. Our does - and photos will be up on Wed.
Other Mav stuff - CR Racing chassis braces, tie rods, dual rate springs and shock revalve. Stock primary & STM secondary, Gorilla rear outer CV's. Or the new XDS clutch and rear axles.

NorthWestOffroad.net
Racing- Adventure - Fun
Maverick XRS

suicidejockey

LooseCannonUTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 13, 2009
Heber City, UT
Sounds like a good plan. If I was to have a cage built to race, small local series with the hopes of going bigger. ( which I hope to do within the next year or two) I would have a builder build it to meet both score rules as well as BITD. IF built that way it will always pass the smaller racing series specs

Gilroyboy

Nov 24, 2014
Gilroy
So I should probably just do a full cage and everything the first to incase I ever get competitive.
Yes, do not build onto that stock cage, its not thick enough and folds very very easily. Most racing orgs will require 1.5 tubing minimum .095 wall thickness for cars 2,000 lbs and under and can be bolted but needs 6 points. 2001lbs and up need to be 1.75 .120 wall.

Cage is what saves you, dont waste money on any junk (aka stock cage)

Hope that helps

AndrewFromColorado

Jan 4, 2015
Yeah thanks everyone that helps a ton so I can run a bolt in almost everything ask as its bolted in 6 places and avoid fixed doors as long as it's double locking. I'm trying to do as much as I can with completely making it a strictly race car. I'd still like a weekend warrior that I can go enjoy with the family. Or is having both pretty much not an option

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
I'd have Lone Star Racing build your cage only because I rolled their cage at 70 mph and not a scratch on us or the cage. I know there are others that build solid cages but I've only rolled LSR cage. FYI, you can make it .187" thick and if it's not designed or tig welded right it won't hold up either. Ours is 1.75 x .095

I'm looking to reinforce my cage and add harness bars and rock bars adding some doors and all the good stuff. I'm just looking for some insight on some of the more experienced people. Would it be better to just do a new cage and bumpers from the ground up? What's the pros and cons of fixed doors vs opening? And what other things may I want to do while I'm into this project.? It's a 14 maverick max xrs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000