California - Sand Car Association Pays $600,000 for Illegal Vehicle Sales

The Lyin King

Public Lands Advocate
Feb 7, 2009
"Last month the California Air Resources Board fined a consortium of sand car sellers $600,000 for its members' illegal engine and vehicle sales between 2006 and 2008.

ARB investigators found that illegal engines and vehicles were being sold in California by several sand car manufacturers. The penalties from this case apply to 37 members of the newly formed association that were selling uncertified products."Industries that cater to off-road enthusiasts must also consider their product's impact on the environment," said ARB Chairman Mary D. Nichols."

Read more here . . . Press Release: 2009-03-05b April 1st Deadline for Gas Station Upgrades

Last edited:

ChaseThisToo

My Other Car is a Class1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
So Cal
Pops told me about this.

As if times aren't tough enough they get slaped with a hefty fine.

J.T.

Terror-X #1 in my mind
Jan 16, 2009
VIsalia Ca.
Although I feel that this CARB law is BS, because a vast majority of the cars out in the dunes are properly maintained and set-up that they burn cleaner than most of the cars on the L.A. Freeways but this is not NEW information that the CARB was going to enforce. these manufacturers knew it and GAMBLED they would not get Caught. No sympathies from me.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Although I feel that this CARB law is BS, because a vast majority of the cars out in the dunes are properly maintained and set-up that they burn cleaner than most of the cars on the L.A. Freeways but this is not NEW information that the CARB was going to enforce. these manufacturers knew it and GAMBLED they would not get Caught. No sympathies from me.
I agree, but it should be the motor builders coughing up the bucks. not the chassis builders.

Double Trouble Hooks

Dorian's My Name, Pimpin DTH's is my Game - UTVUnd
Jan 15, 2009
It is the builder of the vehicles responsibility. Not sure why some Az builders are on there unless they built them for a Ca client. Dont you think they will look pretty stupid with smog pumps, leak detection pumps, canisters and cat converters. just sayin...LOL

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Why the motor Builders? and not the Seller of the vehicle?
because not all chassis guys do turn key cars, and some use the customer provided motor, so why are they accountable for something the customer bought????

J.T.

Terror-X #1 in my mind
Jan 16, 2009
VIsalia Ca.
because not all chassis guys do turn key cars, and some use the customer provided motor, so why are they accountable for something the customer bought????
IMHO If the Chassis Builder Installed Customers Motor then Yes they are responsible for the CARB Certification for vehicle they Built if they supplied a rolling Chassis to customer and the customer Installed his own powerplant then No.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000