Kawasaki centerboard hubs

chad549

Apr 18, 2010
has anyone tried the teryx centerboard hubs (gear one) ?
with or with out calipers and rotors ?

Crowdog

UTVGuide.Net
Jan 18, 2009
Shingle Springs, CA
www.UTVGuide.net
The guys fromTech 3 up in Oregon run them on their Teryxs. One was broke during a VORRA race in October. Not sure what caused it to fail. Maybe Gary will chime in.

And I know that Bobby VanBeekum and Austin Kimbrell use them for their XMF Lucas Oil cars. They seem to have issues with the shaft twisting that goes into the diff.

Would love to switch over if they held up and didn't cost so much.

AZCourt

AZ's Finest - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
They seem like a must for racing even if they do have weak spots. The outboard brakes and better alxes/CV joints are needed for racing with big HP engines.

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
We've run them for quite a few years with zero problems until the Vorra race John is talking about. After examination we found that the lower rear A-Arm had twisted substantially because of the bottoming out we experienced on that double jump. The shock is mounted on the outer edge of the arm, and with just a driver in there the drivers side was the only side that bent. We have adjusted valving in the shock now to prevent quick bottoming out and being a 2.0 internal bypass shock it uses the 2.5 coils which caused us to have to mount the shock even more outboard. If you look at the picture you will see that the hub mount that lines up with the shock is the one that tore the ear off the hub. we have made adjustment to keep it from happening again.

In short it was our issue not gear-one. The added bonus to the gear-one is we get a true 18" of wheel travel with a +6 kit. We so far have not seen any twist issues in the 300M axles, I just rebuilt everything and it all looks good, front and rear. I am a true believer of running 4 wheel drive all the time, I think its important to split the power of these bigger engine to the front and back. If you are running all the power to the rear in 2 wheel drive only I can see where there could be some issues long term.

Attachments

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I broke the stub shaft that goes in the diff on my car.We also broke an outer hub in the 2009 500 but it was shortly after getting hit in the back by a truck.
We have never had a axle or cv issue.
One bad thing about the outboard brakes is rocks get in there and wedge between the caliper and wheel and will break the wheel.

tech3sandcars

Tech3 Sandcars
Mar 10, 2009
Oregon
www.tech3sandcars.com
Good to know about the brakes, we do not have brakes and have not had an issue with any wheel breakage. Tatum do you run full time four wheel drive? I know the back diff runs locked all the time so I can see fatigue setting in after countless times of cornering and not having spider gears. Where exactly did it break?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
It breaks right on the shaft were the splines are.
My car is always in 4WD,I dont even have the cable on there just a bolt that holds it in.I am thinking of changing it so if you are working on the rear axles and need to spin them you can unlock the front.
I always ran my Rhino in 4x4 as well when racing.

chad549

Apr 18, 2010
thanks for the feed back . i'm building a teryx for 2011 bitd , and considering them i figured they would be bulletproof . i will have to call gear one and ask what kind of feed back they have gotten and how many the have out there

Reactions: 1 person

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000