CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!!!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
& Dont let what happened to me, happen to you! lol

So today I get home, ready to do a service on the UTVUnderground 2011 Polaris RZR4 to get it ready for a lil somethin' somethin' I got going on tomorrow. Now, because of the rains I dont have a way to turn my truck and a trailer around up by my house so I have to park below our property and have my wife pick me up to drive me up to the house (no way I am walking! lol)

As she turns around in front of me I notice the driver side wheel a wobblin' so I take a closer look and notice 2 lug nuts gone and both studs sheared off. 2 are still holding it on.....So we are going really slow up to the house and just as we reach the top of our driveway the rear wheel just comes off.. :eek: ...SUCKS! now 3 have sheared which means one was on the way to go and the other just backs all the way out. As I inspect the other wheels I see one of the lugs on the other side is also gone! :(

So another trip back to North County Yamaha, 4 new studs, and 5 new lug nuts! I learned my lesson! Thank GOD it happened here at 1MPH and not at KOH at 50MPH!!!! CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS!!!!! :rolleyes:

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
a had a a**hole neighbor loosen my lug nuts on my f350 I discovered this while on my way to hook up my trailer. front wheel started to wobble and sheered several studs off I pulled over tightened them( 5 out of 8 were left) and went on my way. No way to prove he did it but I could see one or two come loose on there own but not all 8. That idiot could have killed me.:mad: Joey is it possible someone loosened them?

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I dont even want to entertain the thought that someone was trying to get me dirty like that.....but ya never know. Definitley sucks...

On another note Tyler, dont you have something to share with the rest of the Underground?? Hmmm hmmm hmmmmmm? Word is you were in North County San Diego today.....lol

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
well now that you mention it:rolleyes: New XP900 with Benchmark motor coming to a loors track near you. lol

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
THE ONE TIME I DIDN'T CHECK THE LUG NUTS, 1/2 MILE FROM CAMP. ALL 4 NUTS CAME OFF OF THE DRIVER SIDE REAR & THE WHEEL PASSED ME. WE WENT BACK & FOUND ALL FOUR LUG NUTS. PUT THEM BACK ON & CONTINUED THE RIDE. DOING 40 MPH ON A BORDER PATROL ROAD BY TECATE. THE WHEEL CAME OFF AGAIN & PASSED ME. WENT UP THE SIDE OF A HILL & ALL I COULD SEE WAS OUR FRIEND IN HER RANGER CHASING THE WHEEL DOWN LIKE A CALF ROPER. SHE CAUGHT IT BEFORE IT WENT DOWN A BIG HILL. THE RHINO WOULDN'T START BECAUSE THE PLUG BOOT , CAPACITOR & SPRING CAME APART. I DIDN'T FIND THIS OUT UNTIL MUCH LATER. SO YES CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS. I THINK SOMEONE LOOSENED MINE ALSO. BECAUSE EVERYTIME I TRIED TO TIGHTEN THEM BEFORE & SINCE THEY WERE FINE.

Attachments

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Also check your trailers !!!

We lost several and broke some studs on the 5er after I had the axles flipped and didn't retorque the wheels after driving a bit.

Now I keep a torque wrench in the basement and check them regularly as well as air pressure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000