Close call at Miller Canyon pic

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
I went up to Miller Canyon yesterday with my buddy and staged at the dam. We took the black diamond Jeep trail up to the main loop. Theres a fairly steep long hill when going this direction with about a 2 ft. step up thats 3/4 of the way up... I have never made it up as I have always figured it would flip me backwards and I would go for a 150 foot roll down the hill... well my buddy gave it a try and got real lucky. It flipped him back and between the side wall of the hill and his 4 seater cage he teetered straight up and down... a few guys on bikes ran over to help.. crappy pix but you get the idea. Can't tell by the pic but this was a very steep climb... hard to walk up or down without slipping.

Drivers is still harnessed in in this pic^^^^

Last edited:

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
pucker moment for sure.
Ya he's a pretty brave driver and he told me this put the worst scare in him he's ever had in the Rhino... if he would have gone over I think he would have rolled all the way to the bottom or until the cage flattened out.

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
That is a pucker hill and I know it well! I stopped once just before the top to the right and had to restart from there to climb the rest of the way and MAN it scared me! That was quite a stand up job! :eek:
Yep... thats the one.. I go around on the trail to the right and meet up with it at the top and the last little bit is still hairy... I have never seen a Jeep or SXS make this hill going up it... only dirt bikes. Its the wheel base that kills you. These short wheel base SXS's are straight up and down by the time the front wheels are over the step.. I think a RZR 4 might make it because they are long. The drivers gonna have to stay on it and cross his fingers to not lose momentum. I have driven up to the step up twice and backed down from there after convincing myself it wasn't worth it.

Freeezen

Aug 21, 2009
Orange County, CA
Can you tell me the trail number, so that I can make sure to avoid it when I'm out there with my kids. My old lady would kill me if I did that trail with my kids.

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
Just remembered I picked up a big map for the trails out there. Is it trail #2N17X that connects to 2N33?
I gotta dig out my map... but its not a big deal.. if you get up to the step up then you'll know it and then you back down and take the trail to the right. I look forward to a group ride to this hill where someone will try it and maybe make it... If I put a trap on the front and get a couple people to hold tight off to the sides to keep me from flipping over then I want to try it to see how it feels and how light the front gets. I really don't know if its possible after these last rains but it would be fun to watch.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
I gotta dig out my map... but its not a big deal.. if you get up to the step up then you'll know it and then you back down and take the trail to the right. I look forward to a group ride to this hill where someone will try it and maybe make it... If I put a trap on the front and get a couple people to hold tight off to the sides to keep me from flipping over then I want to try it to see how it feels and how light the front gets. I really don't know if its possible after these last rains but it would be fun to watch.
Ya it's a tough one that step just pop[s your frontend up and back if it wasn't for that step I think it would be cake depending on how you like your cake that is:D

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
Holy guaca-mole!! :eek: Glad no one got hurt!!

On the last trip out to Miller Canyon-we took Diamond trail in the oppisite direct. PB did we go up this trail? Cant remember. :confused:

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Holy guaca-mole!! :eek: Glad no one got hurt!!

On the last trip out to Miller Canyon-we took Diamond trail in the oppisite direct. PB did we go up this trail? Cant remember. :confused:
HEY Dan I think we took the right turn around it , it was just as bad but in other ways:eek:

mosslager

Nov 4, 2009
That is an affirmative Ghostrider! That was the pucker hill!

He was in the hole to the right in the picture!
Yep... it was that hole... the trail Rich is on and the one even further over is how I go up... but that one in the hole is nasty

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
HEY Dan I think we took the right turn around it , it was just as bad but in other ways:eek:
That is an affirmative Ghostrider! That was the pucker hill!

He was in the hole to the right in the picture!
Whoa-now its all coming back to me. That ride up that hill was gnarly. The photos posted by Jason do not actually show how far up the hill climb is. That could have really turned nasty.:eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000