Cognito's V2R race report

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Cognito Goes Racing! Vegas to Reno 2011, 550 miles!

Cognito geared up for this event with 8 guys on the team, 4 of which were scheduled to drive/co-drive; Lambert, Rogerson, Sheakley, and Staggs. A lot of preparation is involved in a race of this nature, and since this was our first V2R, we were a little leery of the unknown. Its 550 miles, last year's winners took 14 hours to complete the race, we expected a beast that would not be tame. Our goal, was to simply finish! We felt prepared with Cognito suspension and Fox Racing Shox rolling on ITP beadlock wheels and ITP BajaCross tires. Summers Brothers Racing axles were there to transfer power from the K&N filtered engine, and Rigid Industries lighting for safety during the day and to light up the night.

The Cognito Motorsports Teryx left the start line 15th with Lambert as pilot and Sheakley co-pilot, the first leg of this race went pretty smooth, we later learned that by pit 4 we were running 2nd place in elapsed time. At pit 4, 159 miles or so in, we made a pilot/co-pilot swap and off went Staggs and Rogerson making great time to pit 5. As the day heated up, and the miles piled on top of each other, so did our problems. The Teryx suffered fuel delivery problems but finally made it to Pit 6 where the Cognito support team went to work changing parts to get back on the road at a faster pace. We were off again, with the feeling that we had beat our gremlins and were on our way to fulfilling our goal, to finish in Reno!

The course was rough since the big cars and trucks had now passed us and tore up the course, the bottom of the car was taking a beating along with the wheels and tires. 7 miles from pit 9, 307.5 miles into the race, we lost the engine. Our race was over, but we felt a sense of accomplishment. It is a feat to just get prepared and make to this race put on by Best In The Desert. Heck we made it further than half the field, and further than half the monster course. On the way home from Reno, we were already planning for next year!

Cognito would like to thank the following Pit support crew and drivers included: Justin Lambert, Chad Troxler, Jim Neasbitt, Keenan Rogerson, Gary Rogerson, Jeremiah Staggs, Casey Fillipi and Justin Sheakley.

Thank you to Best In The Desert for organizing a professional, well planned and executed event.

Big thanks to our sponsors Fox Racing Shox, ITP Tires and Wheels, Summers Brothers Racing, Rigid Industries lighting, K&N filters, and Joes Racing products.

More photos here

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
I was wondering what happened to you guys. Engine failure - that blows!
Sounds like this race was a motha!
Good luck next year Cognito.

noceros

Jan 22, 2011
Folsom Ca.
Thanks for the the report , it's cool to read all the good & bad of the racing. I hope to run next year (I feel I know the coarse already- just from the racers & their troubles & or victories). You guys almost made it. Rich

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
Kudos to you guys for just getting there and competing. Sounds like one hell of a course. I'm sure it was a great learning experience and you now know what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for the report.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Thanks Guys!! We plan to make it out again next year and concur this beast. This was a learning curve for us. With knowing a little more about what to expect I think with a well preped machine there is no reason we cant finish! Hopefully next year we will be celebrating on friday night in Reno...instead of sleeping!;)

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Sounds a lot like our story last year. We lost our engine in the RZR at mile 407. Great job on making it as far as you did. It's a tough one! We hope to be there next year also.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I cant say thank you enough to Cognito Motorsports and Justin Lambert to bringing me aboard Team Cognito. I hope I was able to bring some experience to the team and a little bit of advice. We were well on our way to Reno, and ended up having a lack of common sense for a split second. This was one of my most memorable races in desert racing and cant wait until next year and quite possibly attacking the SS300 and the entire BITD season. I met some great people, had some good times and did a lot of sheet talking along the way. 2012 V2R is gonna be ours!

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Thanks Guys!! We plan to make it out again next year and concur this beast. This was a learning curve for us. With knowing a little more about what to expect I think with a well preped machine there is no reason we cant finish! Hopefully next year we will be celebrating on friday night in Reno...instead of sleeping!;)
Sleeping? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I cant say thank you enough to Cognito Motorsports and Justin Lambert to bringing me aboard Team Cognito. I hope I was able to bring some experience to the team and a little bit of advice. We were well on our way to Reno, and ended up having a lack of common sense for a split second. This was one of my most memorable races in desert racing and cant wait until next year and quite possibly attacking the SS300 and the entire BITD season. I met some great people, had some good times and did a lot of sheet talking along the way. 2012 V2R is gonna be ours!
Justin I know we were glad to have you! The BITD knowledge you brought on board was as valueable as it gets! We are glad to have you apart of the team as the rest of the team mates we picked up on this race!

Sleeping? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
Who was sleeping? Not me !
Well....maybe I didnt do any sleeping in Reno either:eek: But the rest of the team seemed to loose the wind in their sails!!! LMMFAO!:eek:

staggs

Feb 20, 2011
This was definatley one heck of a experience and I can't thank everyone at cognito and the team for everything, not only had awsome team work in the pits but out on the course as well. This was awsome even knowing we had some trouble, it was definatley a learning experience as I had no idea what to expect. I look forward to next year and hopefully we can make a few other BITD races :D Also got to meet some cool people and some good race memories. See everyone at glen helen for the next WORCS race.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000