All UTV's Cryo Treatment

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Does anyone have experience with cryo-treating their belts? I could swear I read about it in the forum somewhere, but can't find it. Marc spoke w/ the guy at Black Rhino today, and that dude knows his $hit, but he has no experience in treating belts. He said he may be able to, but would have to develop the proper protocols first.

Maybe someone can offer up a link where I can learn about the technical side of the process, what is taking place at the atomic level that allows cooling to re structure the actual grain size of the treated material.

I read that you could treat an complete, already assembled motor, if you just relieve the pressure on the valve springs. What about the tension in the head bolts, or the compression in the rings?

Any experience treating bearings? What about the grease, or the rubber seals? This technology seems to fall into the category of , "If it's too good to be true, it probably is", in many areas, like our belts for example. Heck, they already have a half life of 1/10th of a nano second, how much worse can it be?

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
You read it in post #13 2nd page of you thread about keeping the cvt cool. Member Warlock posted there address and everything.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Thanks Steve Hey, would you have time to stop by here in the next week or two? I don't know how far away you are. Just PM me, and I'll let you know my address. 91935 is the zip.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Like I have mentioned some look at Cryo as a "Witches Brew" and for those who dont understand it, I can totally get it. I too thought that way, and to a point still do. But its because I don't quite get it. But I have used it and know it worked on the things we tried. I have been told it will work on plastic & rubber, but never had anything like that done.

I can for a fact say we saw improvements on gear box components, mainly R&P's. On CV parts we were never able to show any proof that it lowered operating temps, but after a race the stars & cages looked better and showed less wear. We tried it on aluminum and also saw an improvement. Speaking of CV's I should start a thread on that as we learned allot about grease and even work with a petroleum lubrication company to make a better grease.

I'm planning on doing a belt change on my XP4 during this off-season and would be willing to try Cryo'ing a belt if they think it can be done and would add value to the belt.

Reid let me know what the guys say @ Black Rhino. If I get the chance I will call Jason over there in the next day or so and see what they have come up with. A few weeks ago they had Cryo'ed some brake pads & shock parts for a customer.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Josh from Cryoheat is in the same building as Black Rhino. Same building, but I believe a separate entity. Him and Marc spoke at length a couple of days ago, and he said that he has not tried to treat belts, and would have to develop specific protocols before doing so. He also warned about companies who claim to be able to treat entire engine assemblies, by just relieving the pressure on the valve springs.

He seemed to be well informed in his field, and has offered his support to our efforts. We're bringing him some items to be treated today or tomorrow. Since we do not have reliability problems in the parts he will be treating, it will be difficult to quantify the results. I do believe however, that his process is more accurate, and will net better results for stress relieving weldments than my rosebud torch and tempilstickl crayons would. Hence, the reason why he is re-treating my front spindles and wheel hubs. I'll keep you informed on how it all works out.

BrianReno

Aug 19, 2012
Reno, NV
I have been working with Josh at Cryo Heat on parts for MG's to eliminate cracking during High Pressure Testing. He is definitely a wealth of knowledge in his field. I'm sure he could develop a process that would increase belt life strength if it would work on the material.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Hey I would call and talk to the guy out here in Scottsdale Az. He is a pioneer in this field and has been doing the process and Developing and selling the equipment to people World wide. Since 1986 Im sure he has more Experience than most guys. LOL
Cryogenics International
14715 N. 78th Way, Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260, U.S.A.
Phone: (480) 991-0299
Fax: (480) 991-0929
E-mail: [email protected]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member