All UTV's First time UTV buyer, need owner input

avidday

Apr 11, 2016
Kentucky
I'm new user to this site and a long time ATV owner who's in the market for a new UTV. If this is in the wrong area, please let me know.

I'd like either a pure utility or sport/utility combo UTV, something I can take the family riding in occasionally while still being able to do some work around the property. The utility aspect is a must to help justify it to the wife, but it needs to be weekend ride capable. My kids are also pretty small now so the rides will be easy trails/dirt roads and stuff like that. I'm looking for something with 4-6 seats and a dump bed (dump bed being the key to claiming its utility status). No pure sport UTV is going to pass the wife test, yet. We'll look at that again in 3 or 4 years when the kids are a little bigger.

So far, I've looked at the Ranger Crews, Viking VI, Mule ProFXT, Commander Max, Gator 825i S4, and the Honda Pioneer. I'm also keeping my eyes on the Defender Max whenever it makes it to market. The only thing people near me seem to ride are Rangers, Rzrs, and the occasional Viking 3-seater. The Gator people like them, but never leave the farm with them. No one I know has the Mule, Commander, or Pioneer, nor are they even really considering them.

If you have any of these UTVs, please tell me about them. What do you like about it? What do you hate? What is a minor annoyance that can be fixed with add-ons? Extol the virtues or tell me if they're utter crap.

Here's where I am now in my decision process: the only thing I hated about my recently deceased 2002 700 Sportsman is the lack of engine braking, which the Rangers also do not have, except in the hunting edition 2/3-seaters. For that reason, and that reason alone, the Ranger is in last place in my mind. Sure, it's great in every other way, but I had one bad/dangerous experience on the Sportsman that has ruined it and made it a requirement. I know I can add engine braking via aftermarket, but it's possible that poof goes the warranty if I do. Some have suggested that I use an EBS from a RZR which might not void it. Either way, I just can't take my family out on something without the engine hold back nor can I buy something that expensive and immediately void the warranty.

I've been told the Vikings are super dependable but loud, at least the 3 seaters owned by people I know are, and they don't have tilt steering. I'm a big fat guy and that makes it hard to get in and out. I'm fine once I'm actually in it, but the in/out squeeze is there. Also, there's a concern in my mind that the Viking might not have enough power in the absolutely massive crew configuration. They are also very inexpensive.

The Gator 825i S4 is out because my gut touches the non-tilting steering wheel.

The Pioneer 5-seater makes you choose between cargo and passengers, which I'm not impressed with. Hondas are always reliable and this year's model has tons of room for the driver, but that one seating/cargo issue is hard to get past. I'm also not enthused about the flip up seats in the back and the potential for dirt/mud getting down in the cracks between them when laid down. Also, the depth from the top of the seat to the bottom of the rear floorboard seems to be for very short people. Any adults able to sit back there comfortably?

The Mule has room and seems like a good compromise between cargo and passengers, but it's at least 200lbs more than anything else with similar horsepower to the Viking VI. Internet reviews have said the flat bench seats don't have a lot of padding and can be uncomfortable on long rides. I also don't know anything about the reliability of modern Kawasakis, but they are the only one with a 3-year warranty included. The last one I hadwas rock solid, but that was 20+ years ago and things change. The Teryx looked good but was a little tight and didn't have a dump bed.

Both the Pioneer and the Mule give me pause because the back row is sitting on what is part of the dump bed. It just seems like you could be one malfunction away from chucking people out of the vehicle or at least causing a serious injury. It's the same thing for rumble seats, even with a roll cage. (Rumble seats completely out.)

My wife hates the center console in the Commander. She wants to be closer to my 2 year old if we go riding. Other than that, it looks like a great machine.

The Defender MAX looks really good in theory and the 3-seater sits great. I just may have to wait several months to get it.

I've only seen most of them in the showroom and on the lot. The weather here has been rainy for the past couple of weeks/months (and today) and most of the dealers have agreements with adjacent land owners to allow offroad test drives, but only when it's bone dry, so I've only managed to drive the Mule around a parking lot and nothing at all on the others. This week or weekend, I plan to try to sample them all, get prices, and figure out financing options.

So, let me know about your experiences so I can pick the right one for me and my family. Anything you can tell me will let me know what to look out for and question the dealer about during my test rides.

Thanks!

Last edited:

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
"..I'm a big fat guy and that makes it hard to get in and out. I'm fine once I'm actually in it, but the in/out squeeze is there...My wife hates the center console in the Commander. She wants to be closer to my 2 year old if we go riding...the back row is sitting on what is part of the dump bed. It just seems like you could be one malfunction away from chucking people out of the vehicle or at least causing a serious injury..."

These 3 requirements coupled with doing utility work with all 4 of you on board (which seems contrary to "..something I can take the family riding in occasionally while still being able to do some work around the property..") are limiting your options.
If you're big...your wife and 2 year old had better be way less than half your size combined with proper safety-constraints separating the three of you in the front seat.
If you're worried about the dump..I'd take it down to your local welder and have him give you both piece of mind for next to nothing.

Honda.
Especially after you were so impressed with the footprint (which would impress me in Kentucky) and all that room in the front seat..for you. I'm not a big fan of passengers in front regardless of what's on the market or ever will be with that footprint.

avidday

Apr 11, 2016
Kentucky
"..I'm a big fat guy and that makes it hard to get in and out. I'm fine once I'm actually in it, but the in/out squeeze is there...My wife hates the center console in the Commander. She wants to be closer to my 2 year old if we go riding...the back row is sitting on what is part of the dump bed. It just seems like you could be one malfunction away from chucking people out of the vehicle or at least causing a serious injury..."

These 3 requirements coupled with doing utility work with all 4 of you on board (which seems contrary to "..something I can take the family riding in occasionally while still being able to do some work around the property..") are limiting your options.
If you're big...your wife and 2 year old had better be way less than half your size combined with proper safety-constraints separating the three of you in the front seat.
If you're worried about the dump..I'd take it down to your local welder and have him give you both piece of mind for next to nothing.

Honda.
Especially after you were so impressed with the footprint (which would impress me in Kentucky) and all that room in the front seat..for you. I'm not a big fan of passengers in front regardless of what's on the market or ever will be with that footprint.
I wouldn't try to do work with the vehicle full, but I might like to take a cooler, camping equipment, or literally anything. The Honda just won't let me do that. Well, unless I buy the bed extender, and even then it's not much space.

For the passenger situation, we had planned to ride with my wife and 2 year old in the back with me driving and 5 year old up front. There, of course, will be car seats and boosters where applicable and everyone in a helmet/goggles.

I am really impressed with the front seat space and the footprint, which is really the thing keeping it in consideration. I don't like the idea of high centering one of the behemoth pure utility machines somewhere. I would eventually have to install a lift kit, voiding the warranty.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
My last trip to your area (or south in the Brimstone/Royal Blue area) was a real eye opener with the XP4 as compared to what I've been there with before (atvs, 1st Rhino model year/1st Rzr model year). It wasn't that you couldn't do what you wanted..it was that you were fully committed no matter where you went.
If the Honda fit me best (the person driving/making life/death decisions with his family) and I thought that it was the most dependable overall in terms of always getting up that mountain or home (no bad lines taken due to wheelbase issues or belts fried) it would be a no-brainer (for me).
I'd slap that bed extender on..strap stuff everywhere else like the Beverly Hillbillies..care less whether everybody else was comfortable or not (they'll make themselves)...and have fun (reliably).
To me, a compact package goes more places in that area and gives you more options when picking lines (quickly) under pressure.

avidday

Apr 11, 2016
Kentucky
If the Honda fit me best (the person driving/making life/death decisions with his family) and I thought that it was the most dependable overall in terms of always getting up that mountain or home (no bad lines taken due to wheelbase issues or belts fried) it would be a no-brainer (for me).
To me, a compact package goes more places in that area and gives you more options when picking lines (quickly) under pressure.
Well, if the kids are in the vehicle, you can be sure I'm not going to be doing anything remotely risky. I have trails near me that are fairly smooth and mostly flat, plus about 30 acres of property with wooded areas that are flat-ish with smooth trails. My neighbors have some long, smooth trails up through their property that I've rode ATVs on many times and they would be great for cruising around. If I'm having to pick lines quickly, under pressure in a life/death situation, that probably means there's a bear on our tail.

One thing people have told me who go riding a lot: if you buy a Polaris, always bring a spare belt (or two). One other guy has over 5000 miles on his Viking and the original belt (probably due to the constantly-engaged belt system). No one else I know has any of the other models I'm considering. The one good thing about a belt is that it can be fixed in the field. If a gear system goes out, you are going to need a tow all the way out of wherever you are. The only Honda failure I ever saw was a loud pop that came out of a Rancher as a guy was climbing a steep slope. His transmission locked completely up, so bad the rear wheels wouldn't turn and he couldn't shift out of low, so we couldn't even tow him. Fortunately for him, he could get a small truck back in there close enough he could drag it onto a trailer and tow it out. I will say the problem was due to poor maintenance on his part, but its still a consideration.

I will have another look at the Honda, and even climb in the back and make my wife get in back there to see if she can ride comfortably. I just wonder how easy it would be to stand up on the back end with someone sitting back there.

avidday

Apr 11, 2016
Kentucky
After some rides this week, here's how it's going.:

Honda: nice ride, powerful, lots of room for driver, still hate the back seats and I could not ride back there comfortably. There is apparently a mechanical lock that prevents the dump bed handle from working while the seats are up. However, you are still forced to choose between riders or cargo.

Mule: smooth, quiet, felt heavy and slower than others, bed locked down by side latches, tons of cargo even with the second row in use,

Polaris: I think it broke while I was test driving it. The engine light came on mid way through the ride and it started making noises; pops, squeaks etc and the engine fan got really loud. Definitely powerful and smooth ride, but no engine braking and reliability issues obviously apparent. By far louder than either the Honda or Kawasaki, probably on par with my brother-in-law's 2014 Viking

Yamaha: 6-seater will be in later this week, will drive it then

Can Am: at same dealership as Yamaha, will drive both at the same time

In my mind, right now, it's a two way race between the Mule and the Viking, despite not having driven the Viking yet. My brother-in-law is still on the factory belt on his 3-seater Viking and has only had to replace parts that he broke himself, which leads me to believe the reliability claims I've seen on the internet. The Viking is about 3 grand less than the Mule, Ranger, Commander, or Pioneer, which my budget/wife will love. Really, if it feels like it has a much as or more power than the Mule, in the neighborhood of being as quiet or quieter than the Ranger, and a reasonably smooth ride, I'll get past the tight squeeze getting in and out and buy it. Who knows, the tight squeeze might be an added incentive to lose some weight.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000