Can-Am First UTV

Chuck G

Sep 27, 2018
I am currently looking to buy my first utv. I’ve been looking into the can am commander 1000 or possibly the Kawasaki teryx. I am on the heavier side (300 lb) and want something that could pull me through some trails pretty easily. And also use for work around the house. I grew up on quads but haven’t had anything in 10 years. The wife just okayed buying a utv so any recommendations or tips for the right machine for what I am looking for would be great. Thanks

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
I would ask yourself the following:
How easy is it to get in and out of if you're really going to use it for work. When you start with the work side of the equation and what work you will be doing these questions can be answered more easily. Comfort is huge both on and off the trail for a big man, especially for your wife, who I assume will be recreating with you. I would also look closely at the features from all of the big manufacturers and pay attention to new model release dates. *Do your research in terms of reliability*.

The more detailed information that you offer in terms of what you want in a UTV will lead to more informed answers. Most any will do what you have first asked if they have a big enough bed and you can get in to them easily. If you plan to thrash on it like an old bulletproof atv your wife will probably consider at the very least a separation as most all UTVs are basically lightly built golf carts with oversized engines which break easily.

It'sYourLegacy

Banned Por Vida
Mar 29, 2015
...for a number of reasons, including your just starting out with UTVs, I'd set out on a quest to find a mint condition later model Rhino.
Easy in and out, decent comfort for a big man, reasonably stiff design/components, capable trail machine and (hopefully) cost.
If you decide later that you want 90% more HP than what you need to trail ride then you still have that powder dry.

Chuck G

Sep 27, 2018
Thanks for the quick reply. I’m mainly going to use it to plow my driveway. I might occasionally use it to haul stuff to my backyard because I live on top of a hillside. As far as the comfort part of it, the commander is kind of tight to get in and out of. I haven’t seen the teryx yet to try it out.

matt.cooper.1460

Sep 6, 2018
I just picked up an 18 teryx 4 and a 19 ranger crew 900xp... the crew is great for moving guys at job sites and as a work mule. This teryx is awesome all around for what I need. It hauled myself (6’1/225) and my buddy (6’3/325) all day on pretty rugged trails and through the streets no problem am plenty comfortable- he has major back problems due so compressed/fractured vertebrae and was fine at the end of it with minimal discomfort the next morning. Getting in and out plus seat comfort was a big consideration for me and is what pushed me away from the Yamaha wolverine. I didn’t check into the canals much as I hadn’t read a lot of love on the lockers/traction and I have quite a few teryx friends who are hard on the machines but have no drama..... i may get tracks this year and a plow is likely. I run powerlines several days a week, haul shit and then take my kids out on the weekend...if I do get a more aggressive/sport two seater someday it will like be a canna x3 type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck G

Sep 27, 2018
Thanks for everybody’s input. I got to test drive both the Teryx and the Commander this past weekend. And decided to go with the commander. I must have not realized the steering wheel was adjustable the first time because when I got in the commander Saturday with it all the way forward I had no issue whatsoever getting in and out. The Teryx was nice, but for the difference of only a few hundred dollars the commander comes with a 4500lb winch and their power steering. With those two expensive options already on the machine for only a small difference in price, and the overall comfort of the machine I think I made the right choice. I’ll post back in a couple months and let you know how I like it.

matt.cooper.1460

Sep 6, 2018
Enjoy! As a heads up the teryx has power steering too...i didn’t consider the commander series as I needed a shorter wheelbase w/the 4 seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chuck G

Sep 27, 2018
Oh the salesman at the Kawasaki dealer must not know their sxs very well I asked and he said no. I did look it up and the 18 and 19 definitely come with power steering just not sure about the 17. I still felt more comfortable in the can am though. I Think it had more room between the seat and pedals allowing me to stretch my legs out a little more. At least it felt that way. I liked the Kawasaki but what I didn’t understand was the room behind the seat. They put cargo boxes between the seat and bed not allowing the seats to go back as far. On the can am the seat goes almost the whole way back to the bed.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
i work on ATV and UTV machines every day, i ride them, test them, use them for what they are intended, and try them out at things they are not intended for. this is personal opinion and not brand bias by any means. i do not own any current machine on the market, i do not pay a note to any brand and i have zero brand loyalty to any of them.

personal opinion is that they teryx is one of the least likely that i would buy. (1) its not that comfortable, its not that roomy with the huge console between the passengers and if you go with a 4seat the rear foot room is young kid appropriate only. (2) its quite bland, there isnt much flash and flare (3) its one of the worst if not the worst to work on. i absolutely despise having to work on one for multiple reasons but all in all, they were not built to be worked on. (4) having to reach down outside the cab and unlatch the door really sucks when you are inside the cab. the old rhino was the same way, i dont wanna have to lean down and fiddle for a handle thats on the outside of the door it reminds me too much of the chevrolet pickups and people having to reach outside to open the door. they ride somewhat plush, their 4wd is ok, and their price is almost half of what some of the big guys are asking for their top of the line rigs (5) the in cab heat isnt that great with the engine right beside you. i have often times seen clutch intake tubes melt because they run right beside the engine, it gets HOT under that plastic shroud

commander is a decent machine, very well built, they ride very nice and steer and handle nice. dump bed is easy to use. the engine and trans and driveline will outlast pretty much every other machine on the market. getting in and out of them is super easy if you just pull the nets off. however (1) the 4wd is a 3wheel peel (2) the stock clutch is the worst design on the market and average belt life with a beginner rider is about 60 miles (3) putting a belt on one is a 45 minute to an hour job for a beginner (4) its not the easiest to work on but when you pull the plastics off you can see everything (5) in cab heat is a fair bit more than most would like.

for ease of in and out, and usability and workability, the can-am defender and polaris ranger are way better for getting in and out of for a bigger guy, seating position is nice, the ability to go anywhere and use for work, these two are the top dogs. both are available with top of the line 4wd systems, optional nicer seats, power steering, with or without factory doors. best part is if you get the factory doors they have a latch inside and out so you dont reach out of the machine to open your door. If you have an arctic cat now textron dealer local, you could look into the Textron Havoc, i havent actually seen one just the demo videos and pictures but it appears to be a more powerful and nimble version of the polaris ranger and can-am defender. no clue about its durabilty or life expectancy but if i was in that market for a machine i would be looking pretty hard at the Havoc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000