All UTV's Foam Filter vs. Gauze Filter vs. Dry Filter

valco

Apr 30, 2009
I agree in dez race conditions the ump is the way go. Do u guys think that a foam filter will be adequite is recreational ridiing in the dez?
I try and leave a good gap between me and the car/bike in front of me. I don't like eating dirt no more than my filter.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
I agree in dez race conditions the ump is the way go. Do u guys think that a foam filter will be adequite is recreational ridiing in the dez?
I try and leave a good gap between me and the car/bike in front of me. I don't like eating dirt no more than my filter.
For sure! A properly oiled foam is great. Just keep an eye on it and keep it clean. The oil is so sticky, it can get dirty pretty quick it is really dusty. I run a oiled foam on my R1. Foam is much superior to oiled gauze for desert IMO.

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
I agree with Ben. I have always had very good results with oiled foam filters on my MX bikes.

Wild Earp

I posted this on the other thread, but basically its like this:

Oiled Gauze: Best Flow-Worst Filtration
Oiled Foam: Good Flow-Good Filtration
Paper Filter: Good Flow-Great Filtration
Paper Filter in a Canister (like UMP or Donaldson): Least Flow-Best Filtration

The two Paper filter setups will go the longest between service because the dirt doesnt stick to the element, like a oiled setup.

Its all just what your looking for. Max HP, use a Oiled Gauze (K&N). And if your willing to give up some HP for better filtration, start making your way down the list. :)

Also, note, Paper filters do the worst when they get wet, of all of them, so take that into consideration if your doing water crossings or something.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
Im with this guy,I run a foam PRO DESIGN FILTER with no lid on my air box. K&N filters are for the road and suck alot of dirt through. When my mechanic put these filters up to a light you can see day light through the K&N filters. How many people blow motors that have K&N filters? Jd23,Dan,etc..much more
I have a K&N power up KIT FOR SALE,includes:Billet collar,K&N FILTER and pre filter. Fits RHINO 05-07 Price:$100.00

I have never seen or used a UMP filter but seems to work great.
those motors did not blow because of the filters. I do not even think Joey had a k& N on his old motor that blew up at glamis, it was stock foam.

you can see daylight through a paper filter too, when it is clean.

K&N+Offroad=blown motor. If you are going to run in a dusty area's you need to run a UMP or similar canister style filter system.

back that up with data instead of assuming. I have yet to get anything into the intake of my rhino or vw with k&N filters WITH outwears.

paper has been the best filtration no doubt. K&N rules performance

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
those motors did not blow because of the filters. I do not even think Joey had a k& N on his old motor that blew up at glamis, it was stock foam.

back that up with data instead of assuming. I have yet to get anything into the intake of my rhino or vw with k&N filters WITH outwears.

I don't have technical data. I suck, I am going to install K&N filters on everything. Hahahah.

zerozerofour

Jan 19, 2010

K&N filter with outerwears..... I have never had problems...
just clean it and oil it before evry ride...

ive never seen dust or sand inside.... best performance..

Wild Earp

Of course all my knowledge is from first hand experience. No data here either. But I did get alot of dust in the intake past the filter on my turbo buggy, but I believe thats exaggerated by the turbo. I also done dune, pure desert, so more dust, I think. I just dont trust the K&Ns for an extended time in dusty conditions any more, plus they will clog full the first real silt bed you run through desert racing.

I dont know how many miles Ive put on my rhino with the UMP, but Ive never cleaned or changed the filter. When I swapped it from my race rhino to my 4 seater, the filter still looked brand new. :) Ill take it out and tap off any buildup, lets say, in 8 months.

But I did swap over to a K&N on my 660, for max HP once i started racing short course. Not enough dust to worry about running a UMP there.

CSG

xc racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 13, 2009
Sulphur, La
My opinion is from my personal experiences with using different air cleaners on quads & MX bikes. Clamp on K&N vs. clamp on dual stage oiled foam. On several different machines I found sand past the filter with the K&N filters. Once I swapped these to the foam I never found this again. My .02 FWIW.

onebuilder

Dec 20, 2009
Skull Valley, AZ.
Does anyone have the installation instructions for the UMP on a 660 Rhino they could email or fax me? I purchased a used setup and having some problems with the front bracket, bottom of the canister hitting the neutral safety switch and allaround clearance issues. I have tried to contact UMP, no answer and wont return my calls.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000