All UTV's Gearing R1 rhino for sand dunes?

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
Need some advise on gearing my R1 for the dunes. Im currently running a 12-52. I have plenty of top end power but not much on the bottom. Any suggestions on what gearing i should be running to improve my low end power? Im at pismo this weekend and getting launched by my buddies stock Maverick :(

Last edited:

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Need some advise on gearing my R1 for the dunes. Im currently running the gearing that came with my Weller kit which is 13-52 i believe. I have plenty of top end power but not much on the bottom. Any suggestions on what gearing i should be running to improve my low end power? Im at pismo this weekend and getting launched by my buddies stock Maverick :(
I would get a hold of Big Jim at Cognito. He has plenty of experience with those cars.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
We found that a 6:1 ratio was what you wanted for the R1. That would require like a 13/78. I doubt you are going to find anything close to that. I'd b7y the biggest sprocket you can get under the back of that deal.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
I run either a 12/52 or 12/55 depending on what I feel like. We are all running our Shortcourse race gearing out here in Glamis and having a blast this weekend! I don't run usually run paddles but that gearing will pull 26" comp cut Sand Blasters just fine too.

I wouldn't run a huge rear sprocket just for the fact that all you would be doing is shifting like a madman the whole time you were driving. You would run through gears waaaay too fast. Just my .02. Although if your car is really heavy a 12/60 might be good.

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
I run either a 12/52 or 12/55 depending on what I feel like. We are all running our Shortcourse race gearing out here in Glamis and having a blast this weekend! I don't run usually run paddles but that gearing will pull 26" comp cut Sand Blasters just fine too.

I wouldn't run a huge rear sprocket just for the fact that all you would be doing is shifting like a madman the whole time you were driving. You would run through gears waaaay too fast. Just my .02. Although if your car is really heavy a 12/60 might be good.
Thanks Corey, I'm gonna order a 60 tooth rear and give that a try.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
No problem! You should definitely notice a difference. :)

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
Any suggestions on whether to run paddles or not? I was using a set of 25x10x12 8 paddle Skat Track Haulers and I was having a hard time getting going in alot of areas. I was thinking of trying a 26in 10 paddle or just using a set of Ceros aired down like the Wellers. What do you think?

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Any suggestions on whether to run paddles or not? I was using a set of 25x10x12 8 paddle Skat Track Haulers and I was having a hard time getting going in alot of areas. I was thinking of trying a 26in 10 paddle or just using a set of Ceros aired down like the Wellers. What do you think?
I will give you my feed back as I noticed a big difference. I was using Scat 26x10x12 10 paddle extremes. I went to a 26" STU #1 cut and it was a world of difference. The only explanation I have is the Scat has a stiff sidewall and the scoop does not give so in the soft stuff it just wanted to dig a hole. The STU has a softer side wall and it floated better as well as a scoop that would give more.

113Gilbert

Oct 15, 2013
I have a sr1 also check out the pawnshop sr1 build thread im running a 12/60 with 30" gbcs on 14" rims I just got back from glamis this past weekend and it worked great as long as you had the rpms up because that motor dosent make great torque on the bottom but once you start rolling the thing just takes off I was averaging around 40-45 mph with two gears left to play with

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Out of the 6 SR1s in our group at Glamis, none of us ran paddles. The benefits of no paddles is you can lug around easier if you need to go slow, and you can get wheel spin upon acceleration. You can also slide the ass end around really easy and whip around the turns. It's easier on the clutch and there wasn't a hill we couldn't climb.

I have a set of STUs comp cut #2 (26x14) and I can run those but I wouldn't go any bigger. I'm actually going to sell them because I prefer to run with just my Ceros.

I would think staggered, comp cut STU Blasters #1 would be a good choice if you had to run paddles.

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
Out of the 6 SR1s in our group at Glamis, none of us ran paddles. The benefits of no paddles is you can lug around easier if you need to go slow, and you can get wheel spin upon acceleration. You can also slide the ass end around really easy and whip around the turns. It's easier on the clutch and there wasn't a hill we couldn't climb.

I have a set of STUs comp cut #2 (26x14) and I can run those but I wouldn't go any bigger. I'm actually going to sell them because I prefer to run with just my Ceros.

I would think staggered, comp cut STU Blasters #1 would be a good choice if you had to run paddles.
What psi do you run with the Ceros? I have a set of 25 Big Horns, how do you think those will perform in sand?

Last edited:

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
What psi do you run with the Ceros? I have a set of 25 Big Horns, how do you think those will perform in sand?
I was running between 7-8lbs all weekend - a bit more in the front tires - beadlocks all around. The Big Horns will work fine if they are pretty wide in the rear (11" - 12" rear tire is great). It's all about maximium tread contact and flotation on the sand. The wider your rear tire, the better. The more it "floats" on the sand and doesn't just dig in, the better. :)

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
I was running between 7-8lbs all weekend - a bit more in the front tires - beadlocks all around. The Big Horns will work fine if they are pretty wide in the rear (11" - 12" rear tire is great). It's all about maximium tread contact and flotation on the sand. The wider your rear tire, the better. The more it "floats" on the sand and doesn't just dig in, the better. :)
That all makes since. My 25 inch 8 paddle Haulers were just digging. Just ordered a set of Ceros, gonna give those a try. Thanks for the info Corey!

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
I will give you my feed back as I noticed a big difference. I was using Scat 26x10x12 10 paddle extremes. I went to a 26" STU #1 cut and it was a world of difference. The only explanation I have is the Scat has a stiff sidewall and the scoop does not give so in the soft stuff it just wanted to dig a hole. The STU has a softer side wall and it floated better as well as a scoop that would give more.
Jim,
How many paddles were you running on the STUs? 16? Im gonna order a set of STUs and try them out.

BiggJim

Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Jim,
How many paddles were you running on the STUs? 16? Im gonna order a set of STUs and try them out.
I am pretty sure it was 16 paddle. The STU's float nice. I was amazed at how much easier it was for my car to take off. With my 26x12x12 10 paddle extremes I pretty much had to side step the clutch and if you were on a soft uphill setting you would be in trouble.

I had the less aggressive of the 2 paddles, not sure if it were #1 or #2 but the new owner now switched it up to the more aggressive cut paddle and he claims to have a hard time keeping the front end on the ground.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Well now that Extreme Skat-Trak 30 x 1300 x14 is out its as wide as a STU and its lighter and you can talk to Tim about how many paddles to put on since your car is 2wd.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Heres a picture of the new 30x1300x14 Skat Trak next to the 28 Blaster. The rear Skat weighs in at 17 lbs then add the weight of your rim of choice. Tim has Custom light weight 14" Rims that weigh 9lbs so you can have a rear tire and rim combination that weighs 26 lbs vs a Blaster 28 on a Method bead lock that weighs 43 lbs. What do you think will be a better tire for your car now.

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
Well now that Extreme Skat-Trak 30 x 1300 x14 is out its as wide as a STU and its lighter and you can talk to Tim about how many paddles to put on since your car is 2wd.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
Im still learning about tires but a 30 inch seems big for the R1.

tnez10

Dec 27, 2010
I am pretty sure it was 16 paddle. The STU's float nice. I was amazed at how much easier it was for my car to take off. With my 26x12x12 10 paddle extremes I pretty much had to side step the clutch and if you were on a soft uphill setting you would be in trouble.

Jim,
Did you have any trouble at all with take offs while running STU's? Im changing my gearing to 12/64 which will put me at a 5.33 gear ratio. Im hoping with that gearing and STU's i wont have trouble getting going.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000