Got hassled by a Ranger today

RangerBurger

Jan 23, 2011
Humboldt County
<hr style="color:#f4f4f4; background-color:#f4f4f4" size="1"> So here's the story. Took my new XP4 down to Cow Mt to meet CrazyWatson and take it on its maiden voyage. Didn't even have it unloaded off the trailer when a BLM ranger pulled up asking to see our green stickers. I told him I bought mine in Oregon and showed him my OR off-road permit sticker. He told me that I had to have a green sticker or a non-resident operating sticker. He said he'd write me a ticket if I unloaded it and I can't ride it without a green sticker. He wasn't going to cut me any breaks.
I called the dealer I bought it from and they assured me my sticker is my registration and that OR and CA have reciprocity and honor each others operating permits. I told this info to the Ranger who called someone and then told me that it didn't matter. If I was a resident of OR that might be true but because I'm a resident of CA it's not. I asked him again if I could slide for the day and he got pissy.
I then called a buddy of mine who is a retired deputy who just happened to be with his brother who is a CHP and they said even if that was true I should have ten days after bringing a vehicle into the state to register it. I told that to the ranger and he didn't want to hear it. He said that wasn't for OHV's. No soup for me.
So my brand new XP4 with .2 miles on it sat on the trailer and I rode bitch with Steve for the day.
Going to the DMV tomorrow to get some answers. Plenty of people had told me if I was registered in OR I would be fine in CA. No one said I had to be an OR resident. I'd like to hear what others opinions and experiences have been with this issue. If I go to register it in CA I have to pay the sales tax on the purchase$$$.

The following is pulled from the CA.gov homepage. Nothing about my situation.

Q:I will be traveling to California from another state to ride my OHV. Do I need California OHV registration (Green or Red Sticker)?

A:If you are a resident of another state and your OHV has valid registration from that state, you do not need a Green or Red Sticker or a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. If your OHV does not have valid registration or the equivalent from your home state, you will need to get a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. A title is not registration. For states bordering California, the Oregon OHV Permit, the Nevada OHV Registration Decal, and the Arizona OHV Decal meet the requirement for OHV registration by residents of those states.

Spicoli

Feb 26, 2011
So Cal
That sucks sorry you got harassed and could not use your brand new ride.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
You answered your own question.... Don't want to sound like a smart ass, but if you are a CA resident you don't qualify for the 10 days, and you are supposed to register and pay taxes, BUT........ I know 1st hand if you just buy the out of state decal, they won't hassle you and you won't have to pay the taxes...there is a list of authorized dealers that sell them, think they are about $26-30 for a year...jan-dec...

JimandMelissa

UTVUndeground La Familia
Oct 4, 2010
Not an expert on the laws but man....

That must have really sucked not gettin to ride your new toy.

GOVACHO

Nov 8, 2011
Riverssippi
Sorry to hear that.... I would have just pulled it off the trailer and took the bitch ticket and and went on my merry way for the day...

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Sorry to hear that.... I would have just pulled it off the trailer and took the bitch ticket and and went on my merry way for the day...
Yep!!! i wouldn't have given the C-U-N-T the pleasure of denying me. Sounds like he had a hard-on for OHV enthusiasts. He seems to be the exception and not the rule. :mad:

I'd be interested in how much the ticket was.
:confused:

RangerBurger

Jan 23, 2011
Humboldt County
Went to the DMV today. They told me I need to register it and pay the sales tax. $1375 is coming out of the Roll Cage Fund.
They did tell me I have 20 days to register it after bringing it into the state. But they didn't know if the BLM has their own rules in regard to that. So still not sure if the Ranger was wrong or not about letting me ride. To register it I need the registration from OR which is going to take a couple weeks to get here. I also need to bring the vehicle in to the DMV for inspection. Hopefully they can give me something temporary till the OR registration shows up so I can ride.

XPirate

Sep 9, 2011
Bakertucky
skip the fees and taxes!!!!!! just buy the out of state permit.... post it so it's visibly obvious, they will never bother you....and you can ride tomorrow :D

RangerBurger

Jan 23, 2011
Humboldt County
I already started the paperwork yesterday. I've been hassled by the rangers several times. Got a $700 ticket last year for driving where I shouldn't have been. I guess I'm paying for peace of mind.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000