Help diagnosing problem

daddy'o

Oct 14, 2012
Dusted off the RZR and took a ride out at the new Lake Elsinore track.

After a few trips around it became appearant that my suspension was not setup correctly. I felt like a lawn dart after each jump.

Is this a problem with compression, dampening, front, rear or what? I am clueless when it comes to suspension. I have CST kit with Walker Evans 2.0's.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
Hey Kirk, your problem could be a multitude of things. Incorrect shock valving, driving style (throttle input upon takeoff), or just the way the lips of the jumps are built. Not trying to tell you whats what, but figured I'd try and answer your question and possibly help you to diagnose your problem. Let me know if we can be of any assistance!

daddy'o

Oct 14, 2012
Dan, any input is appreciated.

Your points are understood and valid. Actually, I tested two of them. The first being my driving ability and second the track conditions (jump lips).

After taking a few diggers (nose first...harness skin ripping), my buddy suggested that I keep more throttle in it after the jump take off. I thought (first mistake) that having too much throttle on landing was not good on CVT so I was backing off a little on launch. I then tried more throttle but no improvement. Now my friend suggested trying his line to see if it was the jump. Nope, nose first.

With much frustration, my buddy offered the use of his XP to see if it was the arrow not the indian (second mistake...I want one). After a few laps, I was easily landing and clearing the middle second doubles without hitting hard nose first.

This lead me to believe that something is up with my suspension setup. I just dont know where to start. Ideas?

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
how is your car in other terrain? perfect? could be better? any video of the car in action? its kinda hard to figure out the problem without a baseline to go off of.

daddy'o

Oct 14, 2012
I have driven at El Mirage and Ocotillo. Does the car drive perfect...no. I will attempt to explain what it feels like.

The best way I can describe is that it would be a perfect drift vehicle. The car is easy to push into a slide and tough to keep in straight line. Bascially it is squirelly and feels like it is steered from the back end. I always thought this was due to the short wheel base.

Going through the whoops it feels like the rear is trying to pass or push the front.

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
thats a whole different issue. that could be a few things too. if its the kit i just looked up it has fixed ends, any chance the frame could be bent? did cst valve the shocks or have a setting for wer to put in, and how did you come up with the spring rate?

daddy'o

Oct 14, 2012
Will check out the frame but other than about 5 hours at Elsinore, this baby has never left the ground so I would be surpised to find a bend.

The valving and spring rates were set up for me by Custom Motorsports based on my plans to use in dirt and hardpack desert riding. I wish I knew more to contribute.

Sadly this car has not had many hours put on it. I had it built before the economy dumped and I had a chance to really use and learn more about it. I am now trying to catch up on the time lost and need to learn how to dial this thing in.

I will work on getting some video but since I am partly lame (define - inpatient, visual impared and mechancially deficiant) I think I am going to have to find a guru and get some hands on help. Any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000