Help me build my RZR Tool Kit!

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Can you use the oveglove to change a belt on a hot clutch?

I'm so country... I'm my own damn cousin.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I want to assemble a bare necessity RZR tool kit before I go pre run.

What should I have in this kit so that I can perform on the trail maintenance and repairs??
Joey you should know these UTV's better then anyone. Have you preran before? Do you have any chase support during this prerun? How many cars in your group?

Bare necessities would be a First Aid kit, Fire Extinguisher, small wrench kit, small socket kit with a torx socket. Any tools need to pull the clutch unit apart. Lug wrench, Tow rope & shackle, small Jack, Big zip ties, Ratcheting tie down, Duct tape, Electrical tape, 2ft of electrical wire, Bungie cords, Tire plug kit, small cheap tarp, two large trash bags & some rags.

(Tarp & trash bags are good to have if you have to work on the car. Lay the tarp down so your not on the ground. Its easier to find that nut or bolt you dropped on a tarp vs the dirt. Also with the trash bags, since a UTV is an open vehicle, you can cover your seat or wear the trash bag if the weather turns bad.)

As far as parts, it depends on if you have any sort of support while your prerunning. This is what I would bring and I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking about.

Spare tire
Minimum 2 CVT belts.
Lower rear radius rod or hiems (Depending on if its a stock or aftermarket radius rod)
1 qt of oil and any other fluids or grease you want to carry
CV boot & clamp / possible complete rear axle
Spark plug
Lug nuts
Misc Hardware
Fuses
Can of Carb or Brake cleaner
More Rags!

Also since these UTV have such small fuel tanks, and unless you have chase support you might want to figure out how to carry a few gallons of fuel "Safely". A gas can in the bed over the engine is not Safely!

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Joey you should know these UTV's better then anyone. Have you preran before? Do you have any chase support during this prerun? How many cars in your group?

Bare necessities would be a First Aid kit, Fire Extinguisher, small wrench kit, small socket kit with a torx socket. Any tools need to pull the clutch unit apart. Lug wrench, Tow rope & shackle, small Jack, Big zip ties, Ratcheting tie down, Duct tape, Electrical tape, 2ft of electrical wire, Bungie cords, Tire plug kit, small cheap tarp, two large trash bags & some rags.

(Tarp & trash bags are good to have if you have to work on the car. Lay the tarp down so your not on the ground. Its easier to find that nut or bolt you dropped on a tarp vs the dirt. Also with the trash bags, since a UTV is an open vehicle, you can cover your seat or wear the trash bag if the weather turns bad.)

As far as parts, it depends on if you have any sort of support while your prerunning. This is what I would bring and I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking about.

Spare tire
Minimum 2 CVT belts.
Lower rear radius rod or hiems (Depending on if its a stock or aftermarket radius rod)
Spark plug
Lug nuts
Misc Hardware
Fuses
More Rags!

Also since these UTV have such small fuel tanks, and unless you have chase support you might want to figure out how to carry a few gallons of fuel "Safely". A gas can in the bed over the engine is not Safely!
Or you can just take your T4 and a cooler. Hahaha

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I usually pack a folding chair, and something cold to drink.........
Better add a hitch so you can hook up that trailer full of the tools that Todd suggested:D!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Spare tire
Minimum 2 CVT belts.
Spark plug
Lug nuts
Misc Hardware
Fuses
More Rags!

I am pretty sure I know what I'm doing lol

Thanks for the list of stuff but you left out the TOOLS I need for a RZR to perform maintenance or repairs.

Let me be specific. I need help in knowing what size wrenches, sockets, misc tools for belts, nut drivers, screw drivers, specific sockets for certain things etc,...

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
If you were Ca-aming it, I'd have a comprehensive list. But since you are in the Schlomaris boat, the only thing I know about them is they have a TT rear suspension, and are good at finishing behind the Can-ams:D!
There is always a certain tool that you have to custom make, and can not be with out, to get the job done. Mine is a puller that I made for removing the wheel hubs, since we red loctite our splines.

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Off the top of my head 17mm for lug nuts I think the brakes balljoints and front shocks are 15mm's so a socket and wrench are needed to change a front axle in a 900.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I am pretty sure I know what I'm doing lol

Thanks for the list of stuff but you left out the TOOLS I need for a RZR to perform maintenance or repairs.

Let me be specific. I need help in knowing what size wrenches, sockets, misc tools for belts, nut drivers, screw drivers, specific sockets for certain things etc,...

I did not leave out the tools you needed, I just did not give you exact sizes. Sorry did not know you needed specific sizes! Jeesh! Once again I thought you already knew this stuff!

Hey that team your racing with. They are pretty good, I bet they would have the details you are asking for?

All kidding aside, we are planning a Baja trip sometime in September. We have thought about using the RZR's, instead of the pre-runner but my biggest issue is fuel mileage. We have always calculated our trips with a 150-180 mile fuel range. I'm not a big fan of carrying gas cans. A company called Trail Tank in Oregon is working a making a bigger tank for the 800 RZRS right now, and we are pushing them to make a tank that will use both sides under the XP4 rear seats. This would give approx 15-17 gal of fuel. This would easily get a 200 mile range.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Off the top of my head 17mm for lug nuts I think the brakes balljoints and front shocks are 15mm's so a socket and wrench are needed to change a front axle in a 900.
This is the type of info I am looking for.

I don't want to haul every took I have. I want to build a specific kit for my XP1K that allows me to save weight yet still be able to work on the machine.

I am aware of all the safety and standard baja / adventure type gear I need and will have. I will bring what spares I have to keep in the truck and will have spare tires, condoms and a barf bag.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Air compressor for your Plug kit. Big Hammer. Come along. Wad of Cash LOL

mosslager

STEEEEEEEEKERZ - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 4, 2009
When I venture off into the desert or hills I take the following:

Slime kit with plugs/compressor
Bundle of zip ties
Spool of safety wire/pliers
Tow strap
Lug wrench
Quart of oil
Small socket kit
Spare belt
Spool of 14ga. wire and a mix of connectors
Ratchet strap for re-seating a bead
Flash light
Cold beer
...I'm stealing Rusty's idea of the Ove-Glove

These items take up very little space and have saved my bacon many times from being stranded.

Kevlar

dunechaser1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 8, 2009
Visalia, Ca
www.dunechasers.com
For weight savings I welded a 17MM socket to the end of my passenger grab bar so it can be used as a lug wrench. Suspension & tires are where your gonna have your problems. Also a 10MM socket with long extension for the clutch cover with swivel for that tough bottom left bolt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000