Kawasaki I needs plastics painted!!

waytay

Get Outta MY Waytay - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Ok I would like to have trinity in AZ paint these but dont have time for travel back and fourth. So I need teryx plastics and door panels painted. It would be the hood, 2 rear fenders, 2- door panels aluminum and the two rocker panels below your feet on the outside. WHO can do this in san diego or close. Fair price and good turn around time. Not looking for something I would die if I scratched but something that looks good. Please Pm or post info... I am in san diego

THX
Waytay

UTV Mayhem

UTVMayhem DVD Series - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 26, 2009
i had trinity paint mine and the easiest way is greyhound bus, cost me like 40 bucks to ship the plastics each way and they arrive same day. $40 same day delivery, how can you beat that? you just need a big box to package them in.....

UTV Mayhem

UTVMayhem DVD Series - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 26, 2009
well look who decided to come play in the baddest looking site around.........

You can only lurk for so long before you got to jump int he ball game!!

Welcome to the site Blake!!!
i just couldnt let my homie not get the sickest painter around just cuz of 300 miles...LOL
looks killer joey, now we just need to give badseed the boot and set up a real video channel...LOL

waytay

Jan 15, 2009
i had trinity paint mine and the easiest way is greyhound bus, cost me like 40 bucks to ship the plastics each way and they arrive same day. $40 same day delivery, how can you beat that? you just need a big box to package them in.....
Hell thats cheap!! Thanks blake!!

Joey I dont think you can powder coat plastics can you??

Jeepinbeav

Leave It To Beaver - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Goodyear Az
freaking amazing i never thought of powdercoating plastic, i wonder if i can just buy the paint seems the process is same and my fencce company next door do my plastics not my hood and fenders but all my other plastic

kingck5

Bad Habits - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
pomona cali
The same questions apply to the powder coating of plastic. Since plastics tend to be non-conductive, the electrostatic charge will not be transferred to ground, and the powder will tend to not stick to the plastic unless it is preheated. The softening point of the plastic will be the constraint on doing this. If it is an engineering plastic, it may take a 300°+ preheat and post heat. If it is a commercial molded product, it probably won't. I spoke with a coater a few days ago who is coating cast pewter parts. The pewter tends to melt at the standard 400° oven temp. Since the part was dense and solid, I guessed that it would not do any flexing after being coated, and the coater could get by on less than a full cure. He will try coating at 275° to 300°. The only down side is poor impact resistance, but he said that should not be a problem.

So, wood and plastic can be coated, but probably not with a standard procedure and cure schedule.

Glass should not be a problem as long as the coater can get the powder on the part. Armstrong Powder Coatings (since purchased by Morton) used to produce a flat black epoxy which was used on a Tequila bottle. One coater I know said he would put a "grounding rod" down the center of glass lamp bases to enhance electrostatic attraction. Others routinely spray hot to get the powder to adhere to the glass, then do a conventional cure. It may take two coats for complete coverage. After the first coat is applied and melted (not cured), it is easier to get the second coat to stick to the first.http://www.powdercoatingonline.com/html/powder_coaters_corner_20.html

waytay

Jan 15, 2009
The same questions apply to the powder coating of plastic. Since plastics tend to be non-conductive, the electrostatic charge will not be transferred to ground, and the powder will tend to not stick to the plastic unless it is preheated. The softening point of the plastic will be the constraint on doing this. If it is an engineering plastic, it may take a 300°+ preheat and post heat. If it is a commercial molded product, it probably won't. I spoke with a coater a few days ago who is coating cast pewter parts. The pewter tends to melt at the standard 400° oven temp. Since the part was dense and solid, I guessed that it would not do any flexing after being coated, and the coater could get by on less than a full cure. He will try coating at 275° to 300°. The only down side is poor impact resistance, but he said that should not be a problem.

So, wood and plastic can be coated, but probably not with a standard procedure and cure schedule.

Glass should not be a problem as long as the coater can get the powder on the part. Armstrong Powder Coatings (since purchased by Morton) used to produce a flat black epoxy which was used on a Tequila bottle. One coater I know said he would put a "grounding rod" down the center of glass lamp bases to enhance electrostatic attraction. Others routinely spray hot to get the powder to adhere to the glass, then do a conventional cure. It may take two coats for complete coverage. After the first coat is applied and melted (not cured), it is easier to get the second coat to stick to the first.Powder Coaters Corner 20
Props on the input!!! Thank You!

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I know someone here in phx that wants to trade out camo plastics for red. If you want to have the camo ones painted in phx, Ill be in cali this weekend racing to pick yours up. I dont know what color yours are but figured I would throw it out there...

BrianAshby1

SilverBulletXP4 Sucka!
Feb 22, 2009
Menifee, CA
Ok I would like to have trinity in AZ paint these but dont have time for travel back and fourth. So I need teryx plastics and door panels painted. It would be the hood, 2 rear fenders, 2- door panels aluminum and the two rocker panels below your feet on the outside. WHO can do this in san diego or close. Fair price and good turn around time. Not looking for something I would die if I scratched but something that looks good. Please Pm or post info... I am in san diego

THX
Waytay
i am pretty sure you say aluminum door panels there, and yes you can powder coat aluminum, it conducts electricity pretty darn good... i think joey was referring to these

BOBONTHIS

#64 PRO UTVUNDERGROUND RACER - UTVUnderground Appr
Jan 27, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Wattay, You will not be happy unless you have Tony paint them. But you do want your doors powder coated first then let Tony match the color. He has painted 8 of my vehicals including my Teryx this year & for once in my life I'm can say I love my painter. :D. My hood blow off my Teryx before the last M4SX race going down the raod @ 60MPH & it hardly scratched it. Sorry Tony, Now you must add the Flames to the race car.

Jeepinbeav

Leave It To Beaver - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Goodyear Az
I know someone here in phx that wants to trade out camo plastics for red. If you want to have the camo ones painted in phx, Ill be in cali this weekend racing to pick yours up. I dont know what color yours are but figured I would throw it out there...
i have alot of red plastic for rhino

Double Trouble Hooks

Dorian's My Name, Pimpin DTH's is my Game - UTVUnd
Jan 15, 2009
WT, seriously have Tony do them, i have known this cat for 15 years from the time he was a painters helper and he is the shiz now!!! Go Greyhound!!

waytay

Jan 15, 2009
It is a teryx! Ido have a red hood.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000