Kawasaki Teryx 4 Belt Change

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Anyone done this yet?

Only took about 30 minutes to get down to the cover and get it off, but I have been stuck for hours trying to get the rear clutch off.

I do not have the luxury of doing this in my shop, and only have limited tools at my place in Nevada. I can't imagine changing a belt in the field with out a few specialty tools. I will be making them this week, but would really like to finish this up and get it back together today.

Any ideas on how to get the bolt off the rear clutch?

So far I have tried
*Wedging the clutch/pulley
* Trying to block it with 2 3/8 extensions and a pry bar
* building a wooden stop that bolted to the clutch

I thought the wooden stop would work, but it broke in half on the first try. Nut is tightened to 69 foot pounds.

Called for back up, and a friend is bringing an impact gun over. Still need to figure out how to hold the clutch from spinning?

BTW Belt was not broken, I just wanted to change it after 1000 miles. I also wanted to know how hard it would be to change in the field. It seems impossible without the correct tools, which I am going to try and make. Maybe I can get SXS Performance to sell them when I am done?

Any Ideas? I want to go spend the rest of my Sunday riding.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Hope this helps , ALSO READ THE COMMENT'S THERE SOME MORE HELP THERE . good luck
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3judUeuelCw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3judUeuelCw[/ame]

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
The Impact worked awesome.

BUT The dealer sold me the wrong belt.

The Correct belt part number is:
59011-0031

The dealer sold me a Teryx 2 seater belt part number:
59011-019 That one won't work.

Off to the dealer tomorrow to see about the correct belt.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Just FYI guys that video is for a teryx2.
Is the T4 different?

If you ever blow one up in the field, the way I've changed them is once you get the cover off (or just remove it all together, but you'll loose your engine brake), use a pry bar to expand the secondary apart (I keep a short pry bar that is taped at the end in my tool bag). Once you get the sheeve separated, you can slide the belt over the secondary. Takes some effort, but it works when you don't have an impact available. I've also seen a guy get the belt around the primary and just enought around the bottom of the secondary, then pull up on the belt (this forced the secondary to spread apart and the belt popped on).

Side note, if you want to keep the engine brake, but have access so you don't have to remove the cover in the field, just cut the cover around the engine brake assembly (leaving a couple of mounting points). This will keep the upper front part of the cover and engine break in place, but give you enough access to change a belt. I wouldn't do this if you run in a lot of mud, but for desert, sand, light water and occasional mud your golden.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
Jeff
What did your original belt look like as far as wear? When you get your new one a side by side look would be nice. I dont want to do this every 1000 miles.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Jeff
What did your original belt look like as far as wear? When you get your new one a side by side look would be nice. I dont want to do this every 1000 miles.
Great idea, I can do that.

Looks fine, I just wanted to change it to see if it would make a performance difference.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Went down to my local dealer today to order the belt.

They want $140.00 for a replacement.

I found this
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...6f8700223e479a9c1/driven-converter-drive-belt

$108.00

I told the dealer I was willing to pay a little more for a Brick and Morter, but not 30 plus dollars more.

They gave me the belt for the $108.00 price, and free shipping.

Should be in tomorrow. :)

This evening I designed a tool for the back Drive Clutch so that I can torque it to 69lbs, I will take the file to work, and put a Torchmate CNC machine to work on cutting one out, Pics to follow.

onerich

The Carpenter - UTVUnderground's La familia
Jan 29, 2011
Elmonte, SOCAL
Went down to my local dealer today to order the belt.

They want $140.00 for a replacement.

I found this
http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...6f8700223e479a9c1/driven-converter-drive-belt

$108.00

I told the dealer I was willing to pay a little more for a Brick and Morter, but not 30 plus dollars more.

They gave me the belt for the $108.00 price, and free shipping.

Should be in tomorrow. :)

This evening I designed a tool for the back Drive Clutch so that I can torque it to 69lbs, I will take the file to work, and put a Torchmate CNC machine to work on cutting one out, Pics to follow.
Did the dealer have it in stock or did they have to order it , just wonderen .

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Did the dealer have it in stock or did they have to order it , just wonderen .
Had to order it, but he ordered 4 additional belts. When I told him I had a little over 1000 miles on my machine he said he expected to now start seeing requests. He thought the might go 1500 miles before they needed a replacement. He asked me to measure mine before I replaced it and let him know where it was at. Now I just need to figure out how to measure in Millimeters?

With the bigger wheels and tire, and the type of off roading I am doing I wanted to see where it was at regardless.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Good to know!! The clutching on these bad boys are amazing.

How hard is it to just do a normal oil change on them? I am due for that.
very easy, the spin on filter is under the center of the machine up front. remove one small skid plate, drain the oil, and spin off the filter. Then bolt up the blue beadlock rings:rolleyes: and fill it with new oil. haha

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Local dealer let me down. Belt did not show up as promised. I am putting the stock one back in tomorrow. I will take a couple pictures of the Tool I made to hold the rear pulley. I will also try and measure the belt play. With any luck the correct belt will show up before I leave for Moab, and I will have a spare.

I need to replace a section of my skid plate as well since I lost it at KOH. I don't think a Factory UTV skid will make it to me in time so I will build a temporary replacement this week. Steel or aluminum?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000