Long travel for Teryx

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
Ok guys, so i have to chime in on this one too...

There are a ton of companies out there that make LT kits for the Teryx. I recently got to see a few of them work on the same terrain and it was interesting in how different they all were. Some of the kits that i would also look at that haven't been mentioned so far are as follows.

CST Performance (This is only a +3 kit)
Mafia Industries
Long Travel Industries
LSR

One of the biggest things that can affect a kits performance is it's shock set up and the owners driving style. I got to see one long travel kit get two completely different reviews because of how the shocks were set up.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
This thread can get out of hand no matter if its last year talking about Rhino LT's or this year talking about Teryx's. Reality is this: Race proven, play proven, geometry, valving, whatever it is you want to throw out there about a kit it all comes down to support and reliability. Everyone has an opinion and usually their opinion sides with the kit they are running and usually thats where their experience stops too.

Manufacturers have problems when unveiling a new product and thats part of the game. Unless of course they just go out and copy somone elses product which happenes from time to time. But like Rusty said RhinoCraft had their issues, I know HRT had their issues with the Rhino LT where a friends of ours caved in the rear arms due to poor shock valving (kind of ironic), and Magnum had an issue with one of their new Teryx kits due to poor shock valving. At the end of the day these good companies all learned and improved and went on to make some great kits and great products. You dont make things "the best" without trial, error, and R&D.

Some kits are designed to work with a shock tower, some are not. Some are designed to run Foxes, some Walkers. Some are designed as +6, some +3, some +5. Some run upper and lower Uniballs, some run Ball Joints. Point I am making is kits are different and just cause one is made a certain way or is designed a certain way doesnt make it any better than the other perse. Again, its preferance.

When I ran my HCR kit on my Rhino I thought it was the best for many reasons. Boxed arms, utlized stock components that were easy to find and replace, and it worked great after I had the shocks revalved to my liking at my reccomendation. What HCR provided me as far as valving was poor IMO, so I got with a company who could valve and had them done to my liking, 2 times! And I would say that kit works pretty good considering Moses just won with it at Pala in one of the most rocky and nasty tracks I have ever seen. That kit was set up with additional ride hieght for clearance, and super stiff rear valving for weight and g-outs. Turns out that was the right set up for big rocky and muddy terrain with steep hills and divots. Short track set up didnt pan out so well for Blue who ripped his skid plate off. Does that mean HRT's kit isnt good, no, it just wasnt set up for that type of riding. But guarantee if Blue ever races in conditions like that again he will know what to expect and will make the proper ride height and suspension adjustments. Its a love/hate relationship with suspension!

Reality is these threads turn into pissing matches just like threads on whose sheave works the best, who has the best shocks, etc...... At the end of the day there are a lot of great kits out there. Choose wisely.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Heavy duty kit!
Alot stronger then a lot of the cheap kits out there that i have seen for the teryx.

What are some of the flaws that make the kits you are reffering too cheap? What makes the BYC kit so much more heavy duty then others? These litle details go a long way in making decisions.

I think in these discussions we should begin to start talking about details and not just general observations or opinions. so we will start here with BYC or if anyone else wants to throw in how their kit is deisgnd and what makes it the best?

Some things to put in:

Arm Construction: Boxed - Tube - is it Chromoly or?

Components: Uniball Both Upper Lower - Ball Joints Upper Lower - Uniball/Ball Joint combo

Shock Towers: Front and Back - Just Front - Just Back - None

Width: +3 - +5 - +6

Length: +2 Forward - +2 Back - Both - None

Shocks: ANY - Fox - Walkers - King - Elka - Other

Susepension Travel: Front________ - Rear________

Did I leave anything out? Copy and paste this and highlight your answers. Mention what kit you are descrbing. This info is what matters who runs what doesnt mean anything IMO, its the old Ford vs. Chevy argument and I think Chevy Sucks! LOL

If you guys think this should be in its own thread I can move it.....

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Teryx LT Compendium

Joey the cognito kit is not quite ready for release yet. Justin is planning a day with fox to go out and get the shocks dialed in before its ready to hit the market....We ran the sheeet out of it @ dumont T day and it works great but it needs a little valving yet....There will also be a shock tower model available using the new Fox position sensitive shocks:D hopefully it was alright for me to let the cat out of the bag

Some specs on the Cognito kit

Arm Construction: Boxed - Tube - Boxed load arm/ tube non load arm

Components: Uniball Upper and lower

Shock Towers: Optional with Fox Position sensitive shocks

Width: +5

Length: +0 Forward - +1 Back

Shocks: - Fox - Standard/rc-2/position sensitive

Susepension Travel: Front___16"_____ - Rear___16"_____ dont quote me on travel

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Joey the cognito kit is not quite ready for release yet. Justin is planning a day with fox to go out and get the shocks dialed in before its ready to hit the market....We ran the sheeet out of it @ dumont T day and it works great but it needs a little valving yet....There will also be a shock tower model available using the new Fox position sensitive shocks:D hopefully it was alright for me to let the cat out of the bag

Some specs on the Cognito kit

Arm Construction: Boxed - Tube - Boxed load arm/ tube non load arm

Components: Uniball Upper and lower

Shock Towers: Optional with Fox Position sensitive shocks

Length: +0 Forward - +1 Back

Shocks: - Fox - Standard/rc-2/position sensitive

Susepension Travel: Front___16"_____ - Rear___16"_____ dont quote me on travel
Thanks jim. That's a good start. This is the facts and details one should need to help make an educated decision

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
I will ad that dragon fire racing won both the Baja 500 and 1000 on their teryx long travel. Another sick kit to consider and a loyal underground sponsor.
yes they are, and since you are back to race proven.

the SCORE champion baja UTV is running HRT Rhino suspension and has for quite a while.

since the orig poster is in Corona, you should make the trip and check out HRT, Magnum near san diego.

Hitting some rocks on a track has nothing to do with setup necessarily Joey. It can happen to any racer.

I am shop loyal, But I do Not have HRT on my rhino at this time, if I knew about them earlier, I def would have it.

I did race the HRT rhino all season and yes, I passed Vanbeekeum through the whoops and left others behind in them also at Primm, just did not quite have all the power the Kawis did to stay up front.

I run LSR XTR with Bilsteins, and they have never been right, ( Dan and others have seen it not work) One valving change from Todd at HRT and already we are in the ball park, more tuning maybe after my next trip to G.

Todd has redone valving in many UTV's, including Mafia's kit ( max powers)
SCF kit ( bobkawiz) and others. he is not one to dog out someones stuff, he will work with the customer to improve, if he can, and work with the customer.
His racing background is one reason he is so good with supension, from Full on Trophy Trucks to short course rhinos, to Sandcars, etc..

Customer support is something to look at also, most of the companies listed in this thread, all support the customer, being local to soemone is also one reason you see more of one or another out there on UTV's. ALot of XMF/LSR/FST in AZ folks, more mafia, SCF, MAgnum, HRT, I-shock, DFR in Socal

I have nothing but Love for my LSR Kit, it is one tough MOFO.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
rog. Blue and I spoke both before and duerung the race. He pointed out to me that the suspension is set up for short course and not the desert. He even said he needed more ride height of he was going to run the desert. Its not trash talk its just fact. I think blue agrees that the the cars sispenion wasn't set up to be ran in a track that had boulders like this one. That was the point I was making. Now maybe he hit a rock that no one else did but it looked like blue was a little too low for this typer of brutal course. I think blues car is a rocket and is going to do real well this year. A little fine tuning and he will be good to go.

The Baja champion is running an HRT kit that runs dual shocks on all 4 corners like the og banana. Does hrt still sell that kit?

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
I did race the HRT rhino all season and yes, I passed Vanbeekeum through the whoops and left others behind in them also at Primm, just did not quite have all the power the Kawis did to stay up front.
did you really Rog- I didnt know you raced last year- must have missed the other 10000 times you have mentioned it. :D

also his foot must have slipped off the gas.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
rog. Blue and I spoke both before and duerung the race. He pointed out to me that the suspension is set up for short course and not the desert. He even said he needed more ride height of he was going to run the desert. Its not trash talk its just fact. I think blue agrees that the the cars sispenion wasn't set up to be ran in a track that had boulders like this one. That was the point I was making. Now maybe he hit a rock that no one else did but it looked like blue was a little too low for this typer of brutal course. I think blues car is a rocket and is going to do real well this year. A little fine tuning and he will be good to go.

The Baja champion is running an HRT kit that runs dual shocks on all 4 corners like the og banana. Does hrt still sell that kit?
yes, the arms are the same for the Rhino that they sell all the time.
and I did not take it as trash talk.

hence the shape of them.

Kyle, I have no time for you, so shut your piehole already, and no I did not race last year, jerkoff

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
yes, the arms are the same for the Rhino that they sell all the time.
and I did not take it as trash talk.

hence the shape of them.

Kyle, I have no time for you, so shut your piehole already, and no I did not race last year, jerkoff
mmm pieeeee. going to go get a peice now! thanks!

hey rog how much hp does your motor have??

I have a hole in mine and want to be able to be as fast as you!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Ok boys lmao. You guys are too funny. Back on topic. We are all year for he same reason and that is to share and help. Let's get back the topic which s teryx long travels. Let's get morr posts lke jimms wth the tech stuff.
haha...not too often do I get accused of tech stuff:eek:ask michealtom...he wont come to sxs no more...he says we talk to much trash:D

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
yes they are, and since you are back to race proven.

the SCORE champion baja UTV is running HRT Rhino suspension and has for quite a while.

since the orig poster is in Corona, you should make the trip and check out HRT, Magnum near san diego.

Hitting some rocks on a track has nothing to do with setup necessarily Joey. It can happen to any racer.

I am shop loyal, But I do Not have HRT on my rhino at this time, if I knew about them earlier, I def would have it.

I run LSR XTR with Bilsteins, and they have never been right, ( Dan and others have seen it not work) One valving change from Todd at HRT and already we are in the ball park, more tuning maybe after my next trip to G.

Todd has redone valving in many UTV's, including Mafia's kit ( max powers)
SCF kit ( bobkawiz) and others. he is not one to dog out someones stuff, he will work with the customer to improve, if he can, and work with the customer.
His racing background is one reason he is so good with supension, from Full on Trophy Trucks to short course rhinos, to Sandcars, etc..

Customer support is something to look at also, most of the companies listed in this thread, all support the customer, being local to soemone is also one reason you see more of one or another out there on UTV's. ALot of XMF/LSR/FST in AZ folks, more mafia, SCF, MAgnum, HRT, I-shock, DFR in Socal

I have nothing but Love for my LSR Kit, it is one tough MOFO.
Your a real class act Rog! I don't care what banner your flying (HRT, LSR, Etc.), Magnum Dan has your back!!! :D

Long Travel Ind.

Human Welding Machine - UTVUnderground Approved
May 31, 2009
anaheim
Long Travel Industries

Arm Construction: Engineered in Solidworks CnC lasered Boxed Chromoly ....Lighter than most tube arm kits on the market

Components: FK 7/8" teflon coated spherical bearings Both Upper Lower with heat treated 17-4 S.S tapered pins

Shock Towers: None

Length: 1.78" Of total wheel base added

Shocks: Standard with king 2.0 but will work with walker, fox and most other 2" coilovers

Susepension Travel: Front 14" - Rear 14"

Attachments

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000