Maverick broken rear axles

QFF Racing

Jan 13, 2014
Hello !

We have a dealership of Can-Am in the Netherlands. We also are very active in UTV racing with a Can-Am Maverick. Unforunately the rear axles seem to break down just after the nut time after time. Does anybody have an idea how to resolve this major problem cause we ll join the Libya Rally in Marrocco in April and we need to have a reliable vehicle.

greetings,

Wil, QFF Funbikes , The Netherlands

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
Broken one as well....
Couple of ways to adress.
1 The repair manual says to apply blue loctite to the rear hub and axle shaft during install.
2. Gorilla axle is reported to have outer CV's with .100 larger threaded area. Will be ordering mine from Alex at CT Racing. Alex may also be working on some other options.

Please post up some photos of that rally Maverick.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
I'm working on having my own outer CVs made vs going the expensive route and having hubs and spindles made.
Right now the factory thread diameter is .700" and Gorilla is building them from 4340 chromo and heat treating them. It has a .800" thread diameter and none that I'm aware of have broke but they are difficult to go. 4 out of 5 times it's going to be the passenger rear stub that breaks.
While waiting I would red lock tight the nut and torque to 200 ft lbs and use the biggest cotter pin you can.
Im running the Gorilla outers and they're holding up very well.

QFF Racing

Jan 13, 2014
Hello Guys !

Thanks for the fast response. We are testing now with Rino rear axles. I also brought up the problem at BRP cause this doesn t seem to be an incedent. I hope they come up with an snwer as well.

Just for those are interrested, we are joining the Libya rally and we try to drive the Maverick as standard as possible. Because we and some of our friends test the vehicles seriously we tried to tackle some main issues.
- Within 1000 miles we had all our shocks worn out, leaking seals and bent shims where the cause. We let the Fox shocks upgrade to next level and found the right setting
- We lost a cvt belt every 100 miles ! We place a fan at the inlet of the cvt and an upgrade-kit from Can-Am wich brings an extra inlet. We also place few sensors inside the cvt so we can check temp all the time. We also removed two springs in the clutch. This reduces the brake on the cvt enormously, wich is also good for endurance of the belt
- As i told before we now placed Rino axles on the rear cause we lost our confidence in the original CV joints.
- A reinforcement at the bracket on the front frame on wich A-arm is attached is made cause after jumps it can tear off. ( we noticed that latest models of Can-Am have this inforcement standard )
- Because the standard tie-rods are bending just as you look at it we made some heavy-duty rods ourselves

If you guys have any more advices , pls let me know.

greetings,

Wil

QFF Racing, The Netherlands

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hello Guys !

Thanks for the fast response. We are testing now with Rino rear axles. I also brought up the problem at BRP cause this doesn t seem to be an incedent. I hope they come up with an snwer as well.

Just for those are interrested, we are joining the Libya rally and we try to drive the Maverick as standard as possible. Because we and some of our friends test the vehicles seriously we tried to tackle some main issues.
- Within 1000 miles we had all our shocks worn out, leaking seals and bent shims where the cause. We let the Fox shocks upgrade to next level and found the right setting
- We lost a cvt belt every 100 miles ! We place a fan at the inlet of the cvt and an upgrade-kit from Can-Am wich brings an extra inlet. We also place few sensors inside the cvt so we can check temp all the time. We also removed two springs in the clutch. This reduces the brake on the cvt enormously, wich is also good for endurance of the belt
- As i told before we now placed Rino axles on the rear cause we lost our confidence in the original CV joints.
- A reinforcement at the bracket on the front frame on wich A-arm is attached is made cause after jumps it can tear off. ( we noticed that latest models of Can-Am have this inforcement standard )
- Because the standard tie-rods are bending just as you look at it we made some heavy-duty rods ourselves

If you guys have any more advices , pls let me know.

greetings,

Wil

QFF Racing, The Netherlands
Believe it or not, adding an inline fan (I assume the "bilge-blower" type, 3" or 4" diameter) will actually impede the airflow into the CVT cover at higher rpm's. At 6-8,000 rpm, which is where your engine spends most of its time, the fins on the back side of the stock primary clutch will draw more cfm's than the mechanical blower you added can pump! We added the same setup tour race Maverick, and saw no improvement in belt life. If you run a mechanical fan, it should "Y" into the stock inlet ducting to allow free airflow as per OEM design while at higher rpm's, and when the rpm drops to a level insufficient for the primary clutch to draw air, the duct fan you installed will add relief. Try to avoid bends while plumbing the system. Each 90 degree bend you introduce will increase the static pressure equivalent to adding 30 feet of straight ducting! Those small inline fans will not have the torque to effectively push air with that much resistance. The CVT covers from the 2014 MAX have a partition that separates the primary and secondary clutches, as well as a "venturi" built into the secondary side with an exhaust outlet coming out the front of it. We are adapting said cover to our race Maverick, and will share the results after the San Felipe 250.
Regarding your broken stub axles, we have not broken any drive train components on our car thru out the 2013 SCORE/BITD season. We run Summers Bros. extended axles only because we widened the rear track to 76", but the cv's and stub axles are BRP OEM equipment. We replace the outer cv/stub axle assy. after 1000 miles tops. I replaced the stock 28 mm hub nut with an over-sized 32 mm nut AND larger washer . The new nut has the same thread, but increased bearing surface. Be sure the stamped washer is installed "convexed" so the hub nut is pushing against the center part of the washer, while the outer edge on the back side of the washer is the area bearing down on the splined drive flange (the washer DOES have a bow due to stamping, and it's crucial to install it as advised to take advantage of the extra leverage the increased bearing surface offers). Use RED loctite to completely fill the splines before assembly, and immediately torque to 200 ft. lbs. Remember, loctite cures in the absence of air, so this step is crucial in seating the hub before the loctite sets. I only apply a small amount of loctite on the nut for two reasons. First, I don't want to have to apply heat to remove the nut, and secondlly, loctite is a friction modifier, and the torque value will need to be increased accordingly to achieve the same clamping force AND the stock threads are already loaded with as much tension as they can handle.
You will also need to fab up a removal tool for the hub now that you have bonded it to the stub axle. I made mine from a piece of 1/2" x 2" steel flatbar with 3 holes. 2 holes pick up opposing lug nuts, while the middle hole is slightly larger than the thread dia. of the stub axle. Weld a large nut to the outside of the center hole, and on the threaded bolt that screws into the welded nut, I welded a lug nut on so I can use my spare tire impact set up to turn the center screw. I had to weld gussets along the outside of the flat bar so it doesn't bend. Once removing the tire and hub nut, install the "puller" tightening the two stock lug nuts to bottom first (be sure the middle screw is backed out to allow the lugnuts to bottom out before the center screw contacts the stub axle). Then you can turn the inside screw, and presto! You can remove the hub w/out applying heat, therefore saving your wheel bearings. Be sure to use anti-seize on the center screw, and grind a large radius on the end of the screw so it doesn't mushroom out the threads of the stub axle when tightening it.
This is what has worked flawlessly for us. Our car is over 2,000 lbs, and believe me when I say that it is driven harder than most cars out there. NEVER had a failure in the chassis or drive train. Good luck. I'll send a photo of the removal tool if needed. Come visit our UTVUG page and check out our build. Rally racing in a UTE? Wow, you are the man!

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Sounds like you found the right place for some great advice. Post some pics up as your build comes along please.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hey, GF! Man, you get around! Ha hee. I'll get a pic for you when I open up the shop in a couple of hours.
Be sure to match the countersink angle of the lug nuts onto the removal tool. To correct my last post, I weld the hub nut to the removal tool, not a lug nut. The idea is that you already have the tools in your race bag out for the repair/dis-assembly i.e. 32 mm socket and 2 of the 4 lug nuts that hold the wheel on.

Last edited:

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
The lock tight on the splines doesn't work for us out here.
It must be due to the wheel to wheel contact then, yes? Sliding into a competitor, wheel to wheel, at every race is the only abuse I can think of that we don't see here in the desert.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Last race had zero rear wheel contact - and both rear axles nuts were loose.
I'm lost. At 2,100 lbs. and 30" tall tires, I have not had one stub axle failure, nor any hub nuts come loose for the entire 2013 season. I guarantee our driver drives harder than most of the racers in our class. In testing for the Henderson 250 last year, we hit a huge hole at top speed, which is just over 70 mph for our slug. Bottomed out hard. Raced the 250, and still solid as a rock at all four corners. So solid in fact that we will race the San Felipe 250 on the same components. Do you guys have any ideas as to why your style of racing causes so many outer drive train problems? I know that's probably a rhetorical question, but if it was a problem affecting us, I'd figure it out come hell or high water. I'm trying to learn here, so please don't take offense to my direct questions.

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
I'm lost. At 2,100 lbs. and 30" tall tires, I have not had one stub axle failure, nor any hub nuts come loose for the entire 2013 season. I guarantee our driver drives harder than most of the racers in our class. In testing for the Henderson 250 last year, we hit a huge hole at top speed, which is just over 70 mph for our slug. Bottomed out hard. Raced the 250, and still solid as a rock at all four corners. So solid in fact that we will race the San Felipe 250 on the same components. Do you guys have any ideas as to why your style of racing causes so many outer drive train problems? I know that's probably a rhetorical question, but if it was a problem affecting us, I'd figure it out come hell or high water. I'm trying to learn here, so please don't take offense to my direct questions.

Doubt its a driver issue. Best I can figure its got something to do with side loading. Desert does not have the sharp turns / hard direction changes and thus wheel side loading that short course does. The axles ends appear to have a heat treat issue - then add the side loading and the ends stretch or snap, causing the nut to loosen or worse.
Have not had this issue with a Teryx or RZR.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
We slide our cars way more than you guys do in these desert races. I can kill stock and aftermarket outer stubs in less than 4 hours of driving and you can make them last 1000 miles. My rear tires have never contacted another vehicle or a tree but it's not uncommon for us to slide through very choppy turns are 20-50 mph.
We can't keep them alive no matter what except for the Gorilla outers.
That lock tight on the nut and splines with 200 ft lbs is a joke and hasn't increased our axle life one bit.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
The hub is pivoting on the splines, that's what's breaking them. I've ran bigger nuts and washers with no luck. Side load is killing them.

c.moore

The slow one
Jun 7, 2013
Sin city wv
I can lock tight the stubs and splines and back the nut off and break the cotter pin in a couple hours of trail riding every time .. It's a frustrating issue

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
We slide our cars way more than you guys do in these desert races. I can kill stock and aftermarket outer stubs in less than 4 hours of driving and you can make them last 1000 miles. My rear tires have never contacted another vehicle or a tree but it's not uncommon for us to slide through very choppy turns are 20-50 mph.
We can't keep them alive no matter what except for the Gorilla outers.
That lock tight on the nut and splines with 200 ft lbs is a joke and hasn't increased our axle life one bit.[/QUOT
I wouldn't refer to the loctite-ing of the drive flange splines a joke. In an effort to find the weak links in (try to break) our chassis, we tested hard at Plaster City last year. Found this 5-6 foot drop off that lands you in a berm, turning to the left. We hit it all day between 35 and 45 m.p.h. As the suspension bottomed out hard in the berm, it was subjected to massive side AND lateral loading. Considering the 30" tall tires we're running, and the 2,000+ lbs weight of our car, it's my estimate that this situation has to apply similar side loading to the stub axles as you see. At his Freestylemx events, as part of his shows, Marc is constantly turning cyclones ON ASPHALT, driving one of our bone stock Mavericks! He comes back from a 1 month road trip with 100% bald rear tires. I'm still not understanding why you are snapping the stubs, and we are not.

Last edited:

Blue Coyote

Jul 31, 2009
Eugene OR
www.NWOffroad.net
I understand what you are putting yours thru - but a big drop followed by a hard turn is different than sliding under power through rough chopped out track. We can run the dunes/ woods / huge whoops / big jumps all weekend w/o any issue - but 12 laps on the track and they get loose. Its side loading simular to a torque spike that seems to cause it. 99% if the Mavs are not driven in this manner and will never have an issue. But those of us that race this terrain are having it. The hubs in my Rhino & Teryx had a tighter spline fit - so maybe its a clearance issue with the hubs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000