Kawasaki My Cognito RC2 Kit is here!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Got the rears on; the back is done....and so is my back..sore as all git out.
Here is what I learned, for you guys contemplating this mod.
My drive hubs were a first class pain to get off, have a puller available when you do this because if yous is like mine you'll need it.
I am going to buy a cheapo to have in the trailer in the event I need to do a CV repair on a trip somewhere.
I used a propane torch to heat them up a bit and that made reinstalling them much easier.
I had to sand the powdercoating off the lower shock mounts t get the shock to slide in they are a tight fit.
For some strange reason the right rear gave me nothing but grief, I had to bend the arm tabs out a wee bit and spray some WD on them to get them to slide into the pickup points on the right, and the left rear slid together like butter.
This is fully extended, obviously.The shocks are all the way out and the axles still turn so they cannot unload to the point that the cvs bind. Very nice design.
If my welder buddy can get over here Sunday we'll do the frame stiffening kit on the front lower arms and then we can assemble the front end! I am going to bolt my stock wheels and tires on to get the ride height set, as my aftermarket SS 14 inch rims and 26 inch tires will give a false reading. I suspect the directions giving the ride height measurment are designed to have you wind up with as close to a 50-50 mix between compression and rebound.
Looks pretty cool anyway, and I guess we are gonna hit Sand Mountain on Easter Sunday and then stay a couple days after...and hopefully have most of the place to ourselves.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk
looking good Jeff!!! FYI the metal bushing on the shock has a rubber O ring on the inside. If you take a pair of pliars and squeeze the bushing together they will usually Slide right itno the shock mount. Also I always use WD40 or so some sore of lube on the Poly bushings to make everything slide together easier. Also Jeff I would not be afraid to set the ride height in the rear at 13"s even with your 26" tires.

Looks awesome! What spring rate is on the rear?

Jake The spring rate on our rear shocks are 300#.

FBT

Okay, I will set the rear at 13 and the front per spec. with the aftermarket tires on it. I lubed up the polys and the sleeves, and put a little never-seize on all the bolts, including the shock bolts.
I was wore out when I got to the lower shocks mounts, I just used a dremel and took just the thickness of the powder of and they slide right in.
Thanks Jim!

FBT

Well today was a good day. My friend Jason came over and we got a lot done. I spent an hour or so grinding and cutting the stock front lower mounts off. After being told the front frame is .065 wall, I felt much better about going the extra mile to re-enforce it. I did the prep work and Jason, who is a certified welder and a dear friend, did the smart work. Jason and I talked about welding, and we figured otu my problem. I gotta get me some bifocals or something so I can see well enough to weld.This getting older ain't for sissys.

Jason welded the kit that Deviant_Illusion came up with on and then we went to work.
She is on all fours but only for the night to let the springs settle a bit, and then I will set the ride height. I also need to install the steering extensions, set the toe-in and then come up with something to secure the brake lines that will keep them out of the coil springs.
Pretty good day, all in all!
Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

FBT

Done. Filthy dirty, but done.

The car has a nice set, and looks awesome.

From the front

A little dash mount I built and clamped to the roll cage that holds my GPS and the Ipod, which is hooked to a deck in the glove box. I got tired of releasing the harness every time I wanted to change the tunes or turn it down. Works well. Velcro on both items hold them securely.

There is only one little area around our place where I could give the suspension a brief workout, but it really does seem to work as advertised, I cannot wait to get it to the dunes over Easter. I was very pleased that there are no squeeks, rattles, or other wierd sounds from the suspension. It is as quiet, and perhaps quiter, than the stock stuff was. The first time I put it in gear and I felt the car move on the springs underneath me, I knew the response level was going to be a whole new world from what I have become used to.
I want to check the toe-in again, and I am pondering a beter way than a zip tie to secure the brake line out of the way. Any of you guys with the Cognito Kit who have come up with one, please feel free to chime in.
I will post a ride review here, under this thread, when we get back from the desert.
To all who helped this happen, and you know who you are, my heartfelt thanks and the beer is on me if we ever wnd up in the same camp.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000