All UTV's need a little R1 help

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
ok so i have picked up a second motor and it was in pieces so i assembled it. then installed it into my car.

now i cannot get it to fire.

the only code that shows up on the dash is 17 and that is for the EXUP, which i do not have installed.

i went through the complete dignostic of the motor and sensors and found that my number 2 and 3 fuel injectors to have a weak spray.

my car ran with this same throttle body in November and has been sitting on my bench covered up with a rag.

is there any way to clean the injectors or take them apart?

btw with a service manual and the stock speedo cluster you can diagnose the complete motor which is great for trouble shooting.

LSRGreg

#877 SR1 UTV - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 26, 2009
Mikey!
Hit up Brian B.. he just had his injectors cleaned in the rotax.. they got a little sandy..

He had some place do it here local for $15 each or something.

G-

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
No help w/ the no start but if you want to eliminate the ExUP code but you can zip tie the motor to the frame, do one of the two home made diode mods, or buy THIS

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
well i got ahold of B and got the number to AZ TPI. called them up and drove down there and had my injectors checked out and quick cleanned. all is good no issues with them and he gave me new o-rings all for $10. what a deal.

so now i am back to having an issue. i wonder if i am not getting a good signal to the injector or the rail or regulator is clogged up. hmmm, its gonna take some more investigating.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Did you use all the sensors from the new motor, or the old motor?

It should run without the EXUP I believe.

Do you have the R1 ECU controlling the fuel pump, or is in on a switch?

Are you getting spark?

Is it trying to fire, or nothing?

Are you getting a solid check engine light while cranking?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Did you use all the sensors from the new motor, or the old motor?all from the old motor, they have all been checked per service manual

It should run without the EXUP I believe.yes it will run without

Do you have the R1 ECU controlling the fuel pump, or is in on a switch? the R1 power from stock relay activates my relay for the pump

Are you getting spark?yes, checked it through the diagnostic and while cranking

Is it trying to fire, or nothing?i get a little backfire while cranking

Are you getting a solid check engine light while cranking?
not sure, i will have to check

Wild Earp

IF they check engine light it solid while cranking, there is a problem, and the ECU knows their is a problem, and wont let it start.

But from the backfiring, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. What is your fuel pump/filter/line size setup like? Have you checked your filters?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
backfire?? timing or plug wires inverted if possible
popping more like it trying to start

IF they check engine light it solid while cranking, there is a problem, and the ECU knows their is a problem, and wont let it start.no codes are sown on the dash though

But from the backfiring, it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. What is your fuel pump/filter/line size setup like? Have you checked your filters?
pre and post fram paper filters with a MSD 102(i think thats the number), 3/8" supply and return lines

i am 99% sure the timming is correct to the service maual settings but i will check it again today just to make sure.

Wild Earp

Yeah, it wont necessarily show a code. Mine was doing that when my cut off switch wasnt wired correctly. There were no codes saved (after clearing some old codes), but it will show a steady check engine light while cranking, so that you dont just sit there and crank and crank. The ECU knows its not going to start (for whatever reason). Mine was cutting spark.

It sounds like you have spark and fuel, but something is just off enough to not let it fire, timing, plug order, crank sensor, something...

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Yeah, it wont necessarily show a code. Mine was doing that when my cut off switch wasnt wired correctly. There were no codes saved (after clearing some old codes), but it will show a steady check engine light while cranking, so that you dont just sit there and crank and crank. The ECU knows its not going to start (for whatever reason). Mine was cutting spark.

It sounds like you have spark and fuel, but something is just off enough to not let it fire, timing, plug order, crank sensor, something...
crank sensor is a mofo to swap out with the narrowed kit for my RZR i think i will swap it out and see if that does anything. plug location was confirmed while testing the coils through the diagnostic. i will also pull the regulator apart to clean it and inspect. my tip over works fine i removed all of the silicone and activate it then it shows up as a code. so i disconnect power and flip it upright and no code anymore.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
ok so i am an idiot!!!!!!!!!!! it was out of gas. i have not calibrated the fuel level sending unit yet. duh

it fired right up when i put fuel in it.

but the engine light is still on all the time.

droptchevy

Twisted SR1 - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 9, 2009
That is funny, and a relief. I think we have all done something similar before. Good luck

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
it runs now and i have 80% of the cooling system complete. i am adding a little bit of a plumber flair to the system, you will see in up comming pictures.

i also wire loomed most of the wires today and have a little to finish up.

i should be able to test it out in the desert sunday afternoon and see what else i have to fix before Presidents day at G.

stupid mistake cost me 1.5 days of progress. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000