All UTV's need help, how to fix ovaled out frame holes

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
how do you fix ovaled out holes in your frame. I had this issue with my old rzr800 and with my maverick i added the suspension plates from UTV Inc. Well 2000k miles later i have some sloppy pivot points on my rear suspension. I used longer shoulder bolts and kept them tight.

I found a neat design but they dont sell them in M10 or 3/8".

image.jpg

https://www.billbairdmotorsports.co...t-washers-weld-washers-bill-baird-motorsports

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i dont like just adding tabs on the outside of 1/4" metal that is ovaled out.

was thinking of drilling the holes and metal sleeves out to 3/8" with a step bit also. Just not sure what is the right way.

image.jpg

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
Is it possible to drill the sleeves to 1/2 and go to 1/2 bolts? This was done to my Teryx and never an issue since.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
You're on the right path, MDD. They're called reducer bushings, and are readily available from a number of industrial supply houses. Try mcmastercarr.com. if they have what you need, it will only cost a buck or two each. Tops. If you had your local machine shop turn them, you'd pay over 300 bucks easy for 32 pcs. The next best fix (practically speaking) would be to have washers WATER JET cut from 1/8" 4130 sheet with the hole .003-.005" undersized. Then ream them out using a tapered reamer before welding them in place. If you don't overheat them when welding them in, they should last for the life of your car. The reamer is also available from Mc master carr. Before welding, securely through bolt the washers in place using a spacer in between the tabs to assure the proper spread when finished.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
You'll never be able to drill out the stock sleeves. They are harder than a sailors dick. Even if you could, you are still stuck with repairing your tabs, and will need to add washers to double up the thickness anyway to avoid revisiting this problem again down the road. There are no cheap or quick fixes here.

sniperxm2010

Apr 15, 2015
yep, i have done the washer trick on 3 rzr 800's so far and not one problem. I used grade 8 washers and drilled them out just a little so the bolt would fit through. I have done this as a cheap preventative measure as well.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
If I remember correctly, the 2013 mavericks used 10 mm shock bolts, and used 10 mm reducer bushings that had 2 steps in them. You maybe able to may very them.id give you a link to the brp parts page, but not from this stupid effed android.

sniperxm2010

Apr 15, 2015
i see a couple problems with the step washers, for one there very expensive 2 you would have to drill them with a step bit, or regular drill bit. the problem comes in that if the hole is already egged out the bit ( whatever kind it may be) will center on the egged out hole changing the suspension geometry. not it would not be much but 1/16 inch at the frame would be alot more out at the tire... unless there is a trick to installing these that idk about. with the washer trick i just put the washers on the bolt and pull the bolt to the original position tack it, pull the bolt and burn it in. done and done for 3 bucks. and it hold up very well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000