New law requiring helmets in california

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Call Paul Cook's office so you can here this info for yourself and get on their e-mailing list. As this progress they will send you an e-mail letting you know where the amended bill is at and when it gets signed. We also want to keep this fresh in their minds and on the top of the priority list.

Tim Itnyre - Legislative Director
State Capitol, Room 5164
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-319-2065
916-319-2165 fax

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Spent a half hour talking with Mathew an aid who reaffirmed the above! "We will have to do some heavy lifting, but we can get it done" friendly and he gave up that he himself has handled 2 dozen calls since this morning! ;) Squeaky Wheel gets the grease! Keep the emails going and calls up we got their attention, it is an election year! I invited their office to come out and ride with us to see what was going on! He told me "We had no representation" and that is something we need to fix! ;)
Yep everyone needs to continue to call. Ask to be put on the e-mail list. Tim told me they will send out e-mails letting you know what the amended bill says, where its at and let us know when the Governor signs it.

Its as easy as making a phone call.

Tim who works with Paul Cook's office number is in my previous e-mail. Call it, dont just be the guy reading about it on here. Get the info your self and the calls keep this topic 1st priority for them.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
SWEET!!! I will call tomorrow. Any word on the helmet portion? Thats a huge problem for a lot of people for a host of reasons. When I talk to him I'll focus on that point as well. If he doesn't lead me to believe that will go away I'll call and lean on someone else! Good Job guys! I'm no longer just a reader/complainer!

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
Good news! Scary that these people vote on these bills with ABSOLUTE IGNORANCE!!!

Might be back riding in Kalifornia this season :cool:

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Good news! Scary that these people vote on these bills with ABSOLUTE IGNORANCE!!!

:cool:
Yes it is, and it happens all the time, as a result of the massive amount of items presented every session. It happens in every state, and at the federal level. That's why people need to stay involved. This is a great example of what can be done.

rebelmark

Jan 3, 2012
I called and spoke to Claire. She was very polite and understanding and promised that they were working on it. I got added to the email list. PLEASE CALL. Numbers are important to get things done. I don't care if you live outside of CA. Tell them, as I did, that you pay big bucks to the state for registration for your toys and trailers, and when you come to Glamis you spend alot of hard earned money there.

CALL CALL CALL!!!

God Bless America!

mtoma

Apr 30, 2010
Jackson, CA
I agree Rusty sounds like we're getting some traction on this one.

We can't slow down, nows the time to keep the pressure on until we get this either repealed or amended. If we let off now we'll be forgotten and they'll move on to another squeaky wheel.

Hopefully with some new membership in organizations like the ISA they can keep an eye on this to make sure it happens.

Sent from a pay phone using Tapatalk.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011

Yeah, you can also be a solo pilot of an airplane at 15. Go figure... This has other implications as already stated. It'll be interesting to see what happens....
There is no age requirement to fly at all as long as you have a instructor with you. Maybe SxS's should be the same way if they really want a law.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
Wow, where was I? I just got done reading all this.

I am glad to hear they likely will be some changes to this. And wile I wear a helmet I wish that part would go away as well.

One thought I had is getting the word out that if this does not change there will be less money spent in California in places like Glamis and the best place to get the word out is news papers. Because all the major networks read the paper and report on it the day after if it is a good story, and this just might be. The papers do more research then the networks in a lot of cases so who better to do all the leg work?

So if anyone has a connection at the L.A. Times that would be a great place to start. I don't but maybe someone on the forum does.

Anyway what do you think on that idea?

One last thing, thank you, thank you to everyone working on this problem. :)

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I wanted to take a few minutes on this post and explain how important it is to unite as one power. The ISA was developed by a group of 7 off road enthusiasts. From the introduction the ISA looked to be focused on racing and rules related to racing. But in fact the ISA's goal is to focus and be the voice of all and any UTV related issue from land use, regulations, rules and events. But the issue the ISA is facing is membership or lack of. Without a solid member base the ISA holds no power. Below is a brief intro to who Jeff Knoll is. Please take a moment and really think about what this sport means to you. Its easy to sit back and type your complaints but are you willing to be part of the solution?

Jeff Knoll the (elected president) of the ISA.

Side Bar Since 1974 when I started off-roading we have seen 50% of the available riding opportunities in the California Desert shrink to only 12.5% today because of land closures, and wilderness

In 1999 I attended the Warn rock crawling championships in Johnson Valley. I loved the idea of competing, but I hated the format, and my brother and I sat on a rock in the wind of JV and hashed out what we thought would be a better way to race in the rocks. CRCA or the California Rock Crawlers Association was born. We held 9 events over three years before I pulled the plug because of market saturation. CRCA gave birth to what would later become the King of the Hammers

6 Years ago I met Dave Cole and we devised the King of the Hammers race. 5 years later we have produced 4 feature films, multiple TV shows for Spike, Speed, and the Outdoor channel plus expanded into a national racing series. The KOH race event attracts 15,000 people for an entire week in Johnson Valley.

In March of this year I sold my interest in Hammerking Productions to focus on new opportunities with my business Carrera Performance Group Inc. Among my clients, the Off Road Business Association (ORBA) finds me working on a number of land use issues. I am currently serving on the BLM SRP subcommittee to help write a new Permit policy for the California Desert District.

I Raced Jeepspeed for three years, BITD Class 3000, and held a position on both Roger Norman's and Alan Pflueger's TT teams. I wrote the first set of rules for BITD's Class 3000, and the Rule book for Ultra4 racing, and the BITD 4400 class.

Off roading is not just a Hobby for me, it is a lifestyle choice. I find almost as much joy in planning an event as I do participating. My kids have grown up in the backseat of Jeeps sharing priceless memories. My hope is that others will be able to enjoy off-roading as much as I have, and that is a big attraction to the UTV industry for me. UTV's are an affordable easy to drive vehicle that leaves a small environmental footprint. They offer reasonably priced racing opportunities, and they are fuel-efficient.

Therefore, that gives you some insight into who I am and what I am all about. I hope that you will trust I have the best interest of building a legacy we can all be proud to be a part of with the ISA, and I am convinced the founders are all just as interested in laying a solid foundation that can be built upon.

If you have any questions about the direction of the ISA please reach out to me and I will make every effort to address any concerns, ideas, or complaints. I encourage anyone interested to take the plunge in serving the OHV community, and help us build a long lasting Association for the UTV industry.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself, I hope to meet you out on the track, or on a trail somewhere.

calstyl2

Hammer Rescue Pilot
Dec 22, 2011
Cherry Valley, CA
I just got off the phone with Mr Cooks office and in talking with his Field Rep, discussed my/our issues with him, in addition, I made the offer to Mr Cook and/or his Field Rep to come take a look at our vehicles and see our concerns in person. He is gonna call up to Mr Cook in Sacramento today and see if that is workable.
I live in his district, have several UTV's that I use for work and recreation, if he/they take me up on my offer, is there anyone willing to bring out a two seat conversion SxS with seats in the back and maybe a high performance SxS, I have Ranger Crews, a Honda Big Red and Teryx4 for them to look at but would like a well laid out conversion also.
In our discussion, He did note that the portion about converted UTV's was added by the industry, Ie sell more 4 seat UTV's.
I live in Cherry Valley/Beaumont.
Rob

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
This is so awesome to hear guys. It's great to see such a relatively small community make such a large impact on our government. We at Rugged have been pursuing this issue since it came to our attention and are continuing to do so. Lets keep this going guys!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Definitely keep the communication up on Assemblyman Cook's office, the ROHVA has issued a press release stating that all the manufacturers support their 'Model Legislation':

Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association

ROHVA and California's AB 1595

IRVINE, Calif., July 31, 2012 – The Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle Association (ROHVA) is the national industry organization representing the Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle (ROV) industry. ROHVA is sponsored by the major manufacturers and distributors of ROVs: Arctic Cat, BRP, John Deere, Kawasaki, Polaris and Yamaha.

ROHVA’s mission is to promote the safe and responsible use of ROVs and to preserve and protect the ROV industry. Since its inception in 2007, ROHVA has pursued its mission by developing safety programs and guidelines including Model State Legislation. ROHVA also has developed voluntary vehicle design standards under the auspices of the American National Standards Institute.

ROHVA sponsored - and all of its member companies strongly support - AB 1595 in California. AB 1595 was developed by adapting ROHVA’s Model State Legislation, published since 2008, in the context of California’s existing off-highway vehicle (OHV) regulatory scheme. AB 1595 created ROVs as a separate class of OHV with an engine size not greater than 1,000 cc. The ROV provisions of AB 1595 expressly do not apply to vehicles known as sand buggies, dune buggies, ATVs or jeeps.

AB 1595 contains five provisions regulating the use of ROVs in California. Each of those requirements directly address hazards identified by CPSC in incidents resulting in serious injuries and fatalities. In order to ensure that ROVs continue to be available, and safely used, it is critical that industry and enthusiasts support legislation to ensure the vehicles are used as designed and recommended by the manufacturers.

Until there is appeal legislation written and approved this still isn't resolved.
They are obviously going to be pushing the Assembly to continue using their verbiage..

Paul Cook's office

34932 Yucaipa Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA 92399
909-790-4196
909-790-0479 fax

Tim Itnyre - Legislative Director
State Capitol, Room 5164
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-319-2065
916-319-2165 fax

If you have already called, call again! Tell everyone you know to call. It takes a matter of minutes and could make the difference.

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
I just got off the phone with Mr Cooks office and in talking with his Field Rep, discussed my/our issues with him, in addition, I made the offer to Mr Cook and/or his Field Rep to come take a look at our vehicles and see our concerns in person. He is gonna call up to Mr Cook in Sacramento today and see if that is workable.
I live in his district, have several UTV's that I use for work and recreation, if he/they take me up on my offer, is there anyone willing to bring out a two seat conversion SxS with seats in the back and maybe a high performance SxS, I have Ranger Crews, a Honda Big Red and Teryx4 for them to look at but would like a well laid out conversion also.
In our discussion, He did note that the portion about converted UTV's was added by the industry, Ie sell more 4 seat UTV's.
I live in Cherry Valley/Beaumont.
Rob
If this does come to life I to live in his district and own a Rhino four seat conversion. I would be willing to come out and bring my rhino to show that in fact is safe and well thought out.

Rzrcsi

La Familia
Jun 18, 2012
Central Cal.
Call made.... (Cooks office) Sounds like they are actually trying. They are making a list of folks that call in for future info but it may also help to show that we are all over the state and a diverse bunch... so please keep the calls going!

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
We have one more who wants to hear from you! . I just spoke to my San Diego (Republican) Senator Joel Anderson's office. He too voted for for this. Senator Anderson has been an advocate for keeping our public land open and supporting OHV use. His office could not explain his reasoning for voting Yes.

William in Anderson's office asked me to have as many people call his office and express their concerns and displeasure with AB1595. He said the more calls the better. He said Senator Anderson would be involved if & when they propose the amend law to the docket. They understand that this law will effect more then just one district, it will effect the whole state and tourism coming in from out of state to use our land.

PLEASE CALL Senator Joel Anderson office. Ask For William, if he is taking another call then one of the other office staff will take your message.

Senator Joel Anderson
619-596-3136

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000