Podium In Parker For John Melvin

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Podium In Parker For John Melvin.
John Melvin driver of record for 1912 Polaris RZR XP1000.

Race 1: BITD Parker 250
I pulled up into tech late in the day. To my surprise there was still a line of UTV's. The growth of this class in one of the things I love about it. The best guy last race may not even show up next race but the a new guy can show up and change the game.

We started 3rd in the Pro Production next to teammate Cody Nygren. We pull up to the start and green light and we get the hole shot into the desert with Nygren right behind us. This goes on for a bit then Jason Melvin, my co-driver, says 1916 is no longer behind us and we continue to charge forward, catching the turbo cars that started before us. We are getting amped! As we go through midway pits we are physically 2nd, the Polaris RZR is solid, the LSR suspension is perfect, and the Weller Racing motor is turning the GBC Mongrels to a fast pace and we catching some turbo cars. Except one that we passed on the side of the course had caught us, Mr. Johnny Lightning Angal. We move out of the way and I decided to put the skinny pedal to the floor to pace him down the rough section next to a fence line which did not work for us. I clipped a sharp rock on the left rear inner edge of the tire, and man did the f bombs drop! Jason jumps out and does a pretty kick ass tire change as I watch some 1900 cars go by, then we jump back on course to make up my mistake. We catch a couple of cars that passed us including 1970 that we will be mixing it up with in the second lap.

We pull into the main pit for a new spare, splash of fuel, and the crew look over the car but my crew had grown. Cody Nygren was helping along with the LSR crew (Lone Star Racing people are the best in the business) There I learned that Cody suffered a engine failure (bummer!) Quick pit and we are off right behind 913 Branden Sims. We hit the resume race speed and the 913 turbo pulls on us until we hit top end and we were able to hang with his turbo car for a bit. We start passing cars again up to midway pits where we are pulling in and I see Sims going out which I feel really good because that kid is quick! Jason lets our crew know we are good. In return they let us know we are 2nd physically again, so we put the skinny pedal down and start out on the graded roads (where I found out later that my brother had to keep his head down on the GPS due to speed I was carrying through the corners on the edge!)

Down on the straightaways we feel something in the car and Jason goes WTF was that and boom!, belt. First belt I have ever blown racing! We jump out and proceed to change the belt like a couple of rookies, couldn't get the cover off, couldn't find the right socket, so the temper brought out Mad Melvin and I forced the belt on and jumped in and off we go! So the spare belt is a old one that has been on the cage for awhile and my stress level is up thinking about it with Jason yelling, go go go and the next issue arises the car is falling on its face at low speeds and one corner it stalls! Well here comes 1970 of Mr. Russell and I let him by, and as I do that the car comes alive and we catch him back and start getting nailed with rocks so Jason is on the horn and starts yelling bump him. At the same time 1970 starts to pull over I nerf him harder than expected and the power steering goes away and the car acts up again. So the power steering comes back but I can't let the throttle below half and we are in the rough section and we fly over a hill with a new boulder in the course, bam, a left front flat tire just 8 miles out from the finish.

I decided to run the flat. With so many fast guys its not worth getting passed to change the tire. I get 2 miles from the finish line the car stalls and will not restart so told Jason that's it, but I notice the battery one is low and switch it over to battery two and it fires up! We are off to the finish line for a third place finish!

I want to thank all the support from
Lone Star Racing, SDHQ Offroad, Weller Racing,
JM Collision Center, GBC Motorsports, Baja Designs,
Wolf Designs, Pro Eagle, Factory UTV and UTVUnderground.com

Reactions: Glamisfan and tim07

MMM1912

Nov 26, 2014
Great finish the podium feels good doesn't it. Keep up the good work its finally paying off.
It feel awesome, thanks!

Great job John! Way to start a new season. Finishes like this will keep you starting up front with the new starting order although I know you will miss all that dust. Keep it up.
Thanks, that is the plan! You guys coming out for the championship?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000