Product Spotlight: SB Filters Particle Separator

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I went over to their booth at camprzr and they did a little silt and sand demo.

It was really cool the way it separated and spit the dirt out, i would want that to be plumbed out down by my tire or something for recreation use but if this is a race legal product i would think it will start popping up on race cars soon.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Looks like S&B has one of the fastest Utes in the dez going to race with a Particle Separator for 2016. Stand by for more updates. Competitive advantage...ditch the heavy UMP, increase fuel economy (vs running rich with a plugged filter) and maintain your power until the end of the race.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
If any racers are interested in running a S&B Particle Separator in 2016, please PM me. Kits will be available for the Maverick and YXZ after the first of the year.

BTW, I think the Particle Separator is an absolute must for YXZ buyers because cleaning the stock, outer oiled foam filter they have is a labor intensive and messy job. Plus the inner paper filter is a 'dealer service only' piece according to the owners manual. The S&B Particle Separator preserve horsepower and allow you to go 15x longer between filter cleanings.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Thanks for the PM's. Getting a ton of interest from BITD, SCORE and WORCs racers. Even got have one shipping to the three time Dakar UTV class champs team Xtreme+ from France. Hoping it makes it onto their car for the 2016 Dakar, but the timing is tight. Stay tuned

jdrew1965

Oct 28, 2015
I went over to their booth at camprzr and they did a little silt and sand demo.

It was really cool the way it separated and spit the dirt out, i would want that to be plumbed out down by my tire or something for recreation use but if this is a race legal product i would think it will start popping up on race cars soon.
Didn't you see it on the Best in the Desert race car at Camp RZR? It has been on our car since September and it works. We don't worry about filter changes during dusty races.

Reactions: Bajaxp

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
Didn't you see it on the Best in the Desert race car at Camp RZR? It has been on our car since September and it works. We don't worry about filter changes during dusty races.
No i didn't, they just had it set up on a stand and would dump dirt through it as a demo. It seemed to work pretty good though.

Do you guys have it routed somewhere on the race car to dump different, or do you just dump it right out of the unit?

jdrew1965

Oct 28, 2015
No i didn't, they just had it set up on a stand and would dump dirt through it as a demo. It seemed to work pretty good though.

Do you guys have it routed somewhere on the race car to dump different, or do you just dump it right out of the unit?
We dumped the debris straight out of the unit. We thought of plumbing it and then realized that we create dust behind the car so plumbing it does not assist us in anything and would only reduce our rear view in the mirrors. This product works! At Vegas to Reno our filter was packed with dirt. Our next race was the Blue Water Desert Challenge. We had a rear start, and the S & B Particle Seperator installed. We did about 50 miles of testing prior to the race with one rzr and a quad creating dust to ensure the product was going to work. It did well in that test. We had a rear start, sand the course was nothing but dust the entire first lap. Our car had zero issues on day 1 and day 2. We did talk to a couple racers in TT and UTV's that had issues with their vehicle filters getting clogged. Again we had no issues, we finished the race in a respectable 17 overall (I believe) but the big deal was when we got home and tore the car down. The filter had very little dust in it. It was remarkable.

Let me assure you, our team does not have a sponsorship contract or obligation to S & B. This product was given to us to test by the company due to our military experience and knowledge of the technology that it was developed from. With that said, this product works! I believe in it. It is one of my top 5 must haves for anyone that enjoys driving off-road. Whether you are in the desert or elsewhere; this product is going to pay for itself.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Dirt 1.1.jpg The results are dramatic.

Just did 150 miles at Ocotillo Wells with two of us in RZR's chasing three other UTV's in the dust, silt and sand for two days. My RZR had a Particle Separator on it and his did not. My buddy driving the other chase RZR got so dusted out that he scratched his cornea despite having new Oakley goggles.

At the end of the ride, we opened up our air boxes and pounded out the filters on the bed of the trailer. Check it out. Nothing came out of mine and his was silt storm. I am guessing I could go a season or more without ever getting my air filter dirty to the point of losing power. Oh...BTW, his RZR was a pooch at the end of the two days of riding due to his plugged air filter and mine was just full on 'BRAAAAAAAAAAP.'

Last edited:

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Yamaha Filters Side by Side after Ocotillo Testing.jpg Here is a pic of the oiled foam filter off of the new Yamaha YXZ. Same number of miles, same riding conditions. One with the S&B Particle Separator and without. The other hidden benefit is that the YXZ with the Particle Separator got better gas mileage as well.

Reactions: JoeyD23

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Wow looks like a great product. I was wondering if any racers used this at the utv championship or any other long desert race? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Wow looks like a great product. I was wondering if any racers used this at the utv championship or any other long desert race? Thank you

Racers are really embracing this product. The product is very different for off road, so a lot of people don't understand what it is.

It is not a 'filter' it literally is a fly swatter to prevent 94% of dirt from ever getting to your air filter. There is no filter to clean.

The benefits? Wouldn't you like to have the same horsepower at the end of the race as at the beginning? Wouldn't you like to have the same fuel economy at the end of the race as at the beginning?

To answer your question, David Scott Haynes ran one and Lacrecia Beurrier ran one at the UTV World Champs, but short course isn't the main focus. Racers such as Wayne Matlock, Jacob Shaw, Cody Nygren and Joey D are working to make the Particle Separator work on their long course/desert rigs. Can't wait to see them win with it. This is a game changer.

Why sacrifice 20-30% of your horsepower and fuel economy at the end of a race? The benefits to the weekend warrior are equally as beneficial.

My 2 pesos...

Reactions: JoeyD23

dunerat

Jun 16, 2012
Simi Valley, CA
Thank you for this feedback. It is very helpful and I want to eventually get one for my xtp. Thanks again

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Here is a video that Mad Media did of the S&B Filters Particle Separator test.

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Here is a pic of Jacob Shaw's RZR at the BITD Laughlin Desert Classic from last weekend styl'n the S&B Particle Separator. Lots of teams are running or are interested in running Particle Separators. Keeps 94% of dirt from ever even reaching your air filter and has a ram air effect. #competitiveadvantage
20160501_112044 (5).jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000