All UTV's race chassis kit? fab shops?

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
Does anyone know of a fab shop that offers any kind of a race chassis kit? What I mean by that is a kit that would consist of pre bent and notched tubing so that I could simply strip my rhino frame, cut out the pieces not needed then start welding up the the pre-made tubing. Any info would be appreciated.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Nope, they are all custom built from scratch. A real race chassis would be way to complicated to do in a kit form, especially considering how different the stock frame dimensions can be from one car to the next.

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
why would my 07' rhino be any different then anyone elses? out of all the race chassis out there I would imagine that someone took detailed notes during the process? Don't the big fab shops use software to create a chassis design?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
i believe Dragon Fire is the only one that has done this with Nessy II.

every car, driver, seating position, driver preference, long travel kit, etc are different. just buy a bender, notcher and welding machine and start bending.

here is a little hint. save tons of pictures of race veicles you like and that win. then print them and glue to a poster board and hang them in your fab area. they are great reference when you are building. the top cars like the flying banana and XMF's kawis are great builds to reference how the big boys do it.

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
I own a jd2 bender, notcher and welder. I have also built a couple 4 seat rollcages already. The issue I am having is that I dont feel confident in my ability. I plan to race the full BOR desert series next year wich consists of several 100+ mile races. I just want to be able to go out and put the pedal to the floor without wondering if my cage will hold up. Problem is that I want to do it as cost effective as possible. Nessy is a good point. I am 5' 10" and 175lbs so I believe thats pretty average. A basic design would do fine, and if there are minor fab changes that need to be made along the way for prefference than I could handle that. I would also like to keep th stock suspension mounts aswell as the front and rear sections of the frame.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
need more info on what you want or need. is this a stock class with safety aspects??? way diff build than a full race chassis.

shocks are what make it work well and can be mounted many ways, except stock classes.

where are you located??

like stated, the best fit and design to what you may want, is to have your chassis at a builder.

have you looked into buying a completed car? there are two Flying banana Twins on here for sale, posted by ACI, I beleive at 25 K complete with everything, it is a steal, full Chromoly race chassis, HRT LT suspension, motors
etc.. one has never seen the track and is virtually new, the other has maybe 5 hours on it.

MAGNUM OFFROAD

Official UTVUnderground Sponsor & Founder
If you've been building 4-seat cages you should have no problem knocking out a chassis similiar to the one you posted.

Not to be rude, but I'd be a little nervous riding under one of your 4-seat cages when your not confident enough to build a cage for yourself. :eek:

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
As far as what I need. I just need a race worthy cage. Id like to go one step farther then a bolt on and have the cage tubed all the way down to the main frame rails under the seats. I dont want a major seat drop but a couple inches would be nice. And I would love to be able to put a back seat in it when not racing. So something like joeyds but not as low.

I am in slc, utah and theres isnt a fab shop close that I know of. BOR is a "run what ya brung" organization. I believe there will be 3 utv classes next year. (stock, modified an unlimited) I am hoping to run the mod class. (stock motor, stock frame rails, bolt on suspension, full doors, window nets etc...) I have looked into buying a completed chassis but there isnt many out there for sale. 25k is way out of my price range considering my rhino isnt worth crap.

And its not that I believe my 4 seat cage will collapse on impact and I didnt use fence post. Its just a whole different game going flatout across the nv desert and piece of mind is worth allot.

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
why would my 07' rhino be any different then anyone elses? out of all the race chassis out there I would imagine that someone took detailed notes during the process? Don't the big fab shops use software to create a chassis design?
Yamaha manufacturing tolerances arent too tight. Most good shops that do anything above and beyond a standard 4 seat cage (like a bed delete that ties into the rear frame) will require the car when doing the fab, rather than just using a jig, to make sure everything fits right.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Go talk to these guys, they are in your neck of the woods and know quite a bit about fabbing up a car.

Ben Hanks Racing - The Shop

Wild Earp is right, most any shop will want your car/UTV on hand when they make a true cage, especially for racing purposes. Chassis do vary slightly and a do-it-yourself kit just isn't going to give you what you need. Not unless you have adequate building skills yourself. And in that case, you could just fab it up on your own.
But go talk to the guys at BHR, they can get you pointed in the right direction. Better yet, give serious consideration to talking with DFR or one of the vendors on this forum about if they can help you also.

RZRS EDGE RACING

Sharp As A RZR - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 23, 2009
Arizona
There are a lot of good fab shops that will do you up to what you want and you can finish. Im sure the OG UNDERGROUND pepps will steer you in the right direction....

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
There are a lot of good fab shops that will do you up to what you want and you can finish. Im sure the OG UNDERGROUND pepps will steer you in the right direction....
Thats what I would think. Im surprised that more shops are not chiming in with options. If you cant do it please tell me what you can offer me. (i.e. cut,bend and tack all the main hoops and leave all the crossbraces and finishing to me)

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
If you have driven your Rhino down a dirt road it's now crooked. Some Rhinos are 1/4" to 1/2" out brand new. Selling a race Rhino kit is a bad idea. There are maybe 250 full built race Rhinos in the country. It would not make sense for a builder to spend the time creating a full pre-bent kit to only sell 10 to 20 kits. I agree with Mike, buy the tools and build it yourself.

Hook up with a local fab shop. Have them build your basic chassis and then you finish the bracing. Shops like Magnum, Dragonfire and XMF would maybe do something like this.

Back in the day Mason used to make a race rhino chassis. It was $6500 and a $1000 frame core charge.

RRRHINO

RaRaRaRHINOOOOOOooooooo - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 24, 2009
My first car I bought a welder, Tube Bender and notcher and started. There are plenty of resources out there that can answer the questions you will need. There are alot of pictures of what racers have done find what you like and start from there. Here is couple to start

Attachments

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
My first car I bought a welder, Tube Bender and notcher and started. There are plenty of resources out there that can answer the questions you will need. There are alot of pictures of what racers have done find what you like and start from there. Here is couple to start

the second pic is the Flyin Banana not sure of what number, but that car is proven to be a winner.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
There is a flying banana chassis for sale, I think Todd owns it out here in phoenix. Somewhere around 6500 and it comes with sheet metal... Was gonna be Regis Harringtons car?

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
You might consider buying a used race rhino and save a lot of time and money.I have seen several for sale on this and other sites for pennies on the dollar.All of the little stuff adds up in a hurry not to mention the big stuff like motor mods and long travel suspension.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000